Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

this site...

  1. #1


    Niles
    Posts : 54
    windows 8.1

    this site...


    just absolutely ROCKS!!! i cant believe the vast knowledge that so many people have here. I'm new to this windows 8.1 game and I'm just blown away with the support, the tricks and tweaks; if I just want to change something, all I have to do is search and BANG...there it is!! i just want to take this time and tip my hat to all those who have helped me and have donated their time for others. keep up the great work and patience towards those who are still learning like me! lol! thank you all

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Southern California
    Posts : 788
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64


    We have a 'resident alien' who tends to lend us his vast amounts of knowledge for a time. But of course many, many people contribute their time to making our lives easier here.

    Now that you've just got on to 8.1, how do you feel about the free offer of Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft that was just announced, when it arrives?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Niles
    Posts : 54
    windows 8.1


    too soon for me to make a decision. even though i didnt like the layout of win8/8.1, Im getting used to it. i get the whole app thing, handheld devices. phones, tablets, etc. are "tops" these days and they just want to capitalize on that. i understand that they want people to have access to the best of both worlds. the convenience of a tablet and the function-ability of a pc. but in my opinion they have a LONG way to go. besides, if i wanted those other things...I would just BUY THEM and leave my computers alone! again, its just MY opinion. my problem is all the glitches. yea...my old vista had/has its share of problems but it was more of a personal preference kinda thing. (i wish they'd done this or that) i dont know if its just my particular brand of laptop or its windows, but i've more grief with these little hiccups such as my two finger scroll not working, wireless card not being enabled here and there and other small things. in fact..as im typing this, my network has shut off and turned back on three times now!! LOL i know the settings to correct it but window just isn't listening..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
    We have a 'resident alien' who tends to lend us his vast amounts of knowledge for a time. But of course many, many people contribute their time to making our lives easier here.

    Now that you've just got on to 8.1, how do you feel about the free offer of Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft that was just announced, when it arrives?
    Yes and one busy Resident here too, i have learned from his tutorials and advice. How does one claim this upgrade when it arrives ? Be by Microsoft store, like 8.1 upgrade ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Southern California
    Posts : 788
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64


    Quote Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
    [...] the convenience of a tablet and the function-ability of a pc. but in my opinion they have a LONG way to go. besides, if i wanted those other things...I would just BUY THEM and leave my computers alone! [...]
    This is one of the main issues they'll be working on for the pending Windows 10 release. It is still in the works as we speak. Here is a review of some pending features concerning smaller vs bigger screens in Windows 10: Windows 10 for mobile wants to be the full PC experience on tiny screens
    The selling point for me was that it is free!
    It does come with some other nifty features, like built-in cortana (personal assistant, like Siri on an iPhone).

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    [...]How does one claim this upgrade when it arrives ? Be by Microsoft store, like 8.1 upgrade ?
    Not sure right now, but they'll let us know once it is released, I think. I would guess it would be through the store, since they don't(?) want to push it as an automated updated through Windows Update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
    [...] the convenience of a tablet and the function-ability of a pc. but in my opinion they have a LONG way to go. besides, if i wanted those other things...I would just BUY THEM and leave my computers alone! [...]
    This is one of the main issues they'll be working on for the pending Windows 10 release. It is still in the works as we speak. Here is a review of some pending features concerning smaller vs bigger screens in Windows 10: Windows 10 for mobile wants to be the full PC experience on tiny screens
    The selling point for me was that it is free!
    It does come with some other nifty features, like built-in cortana (personal assistant, like Siri on an iPhone).

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    [...]How does one claim this upgrade when it arrives ? Be by Microsoft store, like 8.1 upgrade ?
    Not sure right now, but they'll let us know once it is released, I think. I would guess it would be through the store, since they don't(?) want to push it as an automated updated through Windows Update.

    Thanks, sure we'll find out more here to in coming months.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 681
    Windows 7 Pro x 2/Windows 10 Home/10 Pro/Windows 10 TP


    Welcome to EightForums sstewart my experience was similar to yours when I joined our sister forum SevenForums in early 2010
    and thankfully our "resident alien" and the many people who contribute their time & knowledge are members of this forum too, not to mention our newer forum TenForums.

    With the high level of knowledge and expertise available across all forums I now have a combination of Windows 7, 8.1 and now Windows 10 TP installed on 3 different computers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    What I wonder is how this upgrade will come to desktop users? I just bought this computer for Christmas 2014 and I am in no shape to upgrade for a while yet. I just changed from windows vista after having my old computer for 6 years. Im still just finding my way around 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Niles
    Posts : 54
    windows 8.1


    I'm in the exact same boat as you. Been using vista since 2008. Ha! For what I do, it served me well. I'll admit though...I'm able to do more with win8.1 for my surveillance systems than vista could, aside from the minor glitches (self induced or not)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic77 View Post
    What I wonder is how this upgrade will come to desktop users? I just bought this computer for Christmas 2014 and I am in no shape to upgrade for a while yet. I just changed from windows vista after having my old computer for 6 years. Im still just finding my way around 8.1.
    I'm getting it right now via Windows Update---

    Click image for larger version

    This is my second try.
    It failed before.
    So I hid the Update.
    Even though hidden it showed up again.
    I have a Macrium image to fall back on in case my computer gets messed up.
    I have Factory recovery disks too.

    A link that may explain why I got the Update---

    Windows 10 Update
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
this site...
Related Threads
new Site for my Software in Free Developer Programs and Projects
It's still a work in progress but my free Windows programs are available for download again: Miles Ahead Software A friend is doing the web pages for me and hosting the files. As always, they are free to use at your own risk. http://www.sevenforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Note...
suspect site in System Security
guys.. ran across this by accident, and I'm not sure what to make of it. malware says I'm clean and avast is currently running a scan.
Close site? in Browsers & Mail
How do you close the site? There is not any Min, Max Close button. I don't want to go all the way back to the start screen just to the last open site I was in. Same thing in Facebook How do you close it so you can go back to where you were suck as email or home page?
sharepoint site in Network & Sharing
how would i be able to set up a share ponit on my windows 8 pro with media center computer so that i would access on laptop with out the internet
Solved Web Site in Browsers & Mail
A few weeks ago both rmeigs and pcRat were good enough to answer a query of mine. This involved giving me a web site that of course was highlighted in blue and a picture of a drop down. All this information I usually save by copy and paste onto a word document but in the process the drop down ...
Site redesign... in Site Stuff
Hey Brink! (Ok, I want to say up front that I say this in jest, not trying to "play with the bull" :D) Ok, Since this is the 8 forums... maybe the site should be redesigned to look more like it? Get rid of all the reflections and shadows and the nice subtle gentle curves and artistically...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook