Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How do people get banned from this forum?

  1. #31


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quote Originally Posted by davidvkimball View Post
    Hey Brink, it'd be just smashing if you could ban me plz!

    LulzJK

    PS. Your tutorials are awesome.
    I can't ban you, but I can put you on my ignore list if that will help.

    Jim

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    I've seen a few good posters banned from here, for no reason that I can see (not that
    it may not have been justified, just that I didn't see it).

    That's up to the admins, it's their site, but I do strongly disagree with the 'Stuff up
    once, banned for life' way that this site (and one or two others I'm a member of, it's
    not unique to here) is moderated.

    It also appears that if you get banned from eightforums, you are also banned from
    sevenforums and vistaforums if you happen to be a member of all three. I do strongly
    disagree with that.

    I moderate/admin on a couple of sites myself, so I know what it's like.

    I always warn the offender first, by PM, and almost never give 'life bans'. I simply
    do not agree with the concept, unless in very extreme circumstances.

    You just lose good posters that way, for one 'mistake', and scare potential new members away.

    Just my opinion, feel free to disregard.

    ***Just don't ban me for it, it's an opinion, not a command.***

    Wenda.
    Last edited by Wenda; 24 Apr 2013 at 05:26.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 22,575
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I've seen a few good posters banned from here, for no reason that I can see (not that
    it may not have been justified, just that I didn't see it).

    That's up to the admins, it's their site, but I do strongly disagree with the 'Stuff up
    once, banned for life' way that this site (and one or two others I'm a member of, it's
    not unique to here) is moderated.

    It also appears that if you get banned from eightforums, you are also banned from
    sevenforums and vistaforums if you happen to be a member of all three. I do strongly
    disagree with that.

    I moderate/admin on a couple of sites myself, so I know what it's like.

    I always warn the offender first, by PM, and almost never give 'life bans'. I simply
    do not agree with the concept, unless in very extreme circumstances.

    You just lose good posters that way, for one 'mistake', and scare potential new members away.

    Just my opinion, feel free to disregard.

    ***Just don't ban me for it, it's an opinion, not a command.***

    Wenda.
    Hello Wenda,

    Rest assured that when be ban someone, we have a good reason to do so. We just don't share full details for privacy reasons.

    When banned, we do not want them on the other sites causing issues either. That's why we ban them at the other sites (if a member) as well.

    We don't like to ban anyone, but sometimes it's just needed to keep the forum in order. They do get warned first unless it's something already posted here: How do people get banned from this forum?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I've seen a few good posters banned from here, for no reason that I can see (not that
    it may not have been justified, just that I didn't see it).
    Yeah, when they get banned, the posts where they misbehaved are cleaned up as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    That's up to the admins, it's their site, but I do strongly disagree with the 'Stuff up
    once, banned for life' way that this site (and one or two others I'm a member of, it's
    not unique to here) is moderated.
    I'd be willing to bet that in most cases (if not all cases), people who do get banned are getting warned before it happens unless they do something extremely dumb like post pornography or something. Again, it's just a matter of us not seeing it..

    And from what I can tell, in the sevenforums and eightforums, I think you have to really screw up good to get the boot. It's not just an accidental post that gets you kicked. People always need to remember that this is an internet forum and not personally attack anybody. Generally speaking, it's that easy to not get booted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    I always warn the offender first, by PM, and almost never give 'life bans'. I simply
    do not agree with the concept, unless in very extreme circumstances.

    You just lose good posters that way, for one 'mistake', and scare potential new members away.

    Just my opinion, feel free to disregard.

    ***Just don't ban me for it, it's an opinion, not a command.***

    Wenda.
    Like I said above, I don't think many have gotten kicked off here for "one mistake". Yes, we have lost good posters. It's a shame that some of them took it to a personal level. I'm hoping many don't get scared away.

    And you have NOTHING to worry about with respect to your post. You aren't breaking rules, you aren't posting about piracy, and you aren't personally attacking anybody.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    I received an infraction early on. Admittedly well deserved. I had to tone down this "Chicagoland attitude". It simply didn't fit in.

    It may be difficult to understand unless one lives here. We're pretty much "straight forward" and "brush". No one really takes offense if from here. We have our words and go on.

    Lol! Everyone should experience the road rage here at least once in their lifetime. It's quite a sight to behold! Not to say that it's right, for some get shot at over it. That's the way it is here amongst 9-1/2 million people in six counties with road congestion galore. I would imagine it's the same in any big city.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Thanks for those comments, people. As I said, it's not my place to make (or break) the rules, I was simply curious.

    In fact, sometimes I have felt like giving someone a bit of a 'spray' but decided against it, it's only a forum, someone's
    contrary opinion isn't going to ruin my life, so I usually just let things slide.

    Hippsie Gipsy, I do know what you mean, us Aussies are renowned for calling a spade a spade, it does not go down at all
    well on some forums.

    Have a top one, all.

    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Art,

    It varies, but here's a few of the most common reasons:

    • Spamming - instant ban
    • Piracy - instant ban
    • Anything illegal - instant ban
    • Trolling - instant ban
    • Being rude to other members - Depends on how bad it was, but we usually issue a few warnings before banning.
    • Posting nothing but junk - We usually issue a few warnings before banning.
    • Breach of forum rules - Depends on how bad it was, but we usually issue a few warnings before banning.
    Only a query, no concern. But, how is the second item intended. (Piracy).
    I see many posts, for example, discussing what they have found in the latest leaks of "Blue". As this is only available as a pirated download, I presume this, at least, is acceptable? So my question remains??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    It's a grey area, blue isn't for sale and is only being discussed and not linked by people we know have legitimate Windows 8 licenses.

    Windows 8 was killed by the lack of leaks and building of momentum among enthusiasts, if MSFT didn't want blue to leak we would see nothing like we did with Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Art,

    It varies, but here's a few of the most common reasons:

    • Spamming - instant ban
    • Piracy - instant ban
    • Anything illegal - instant ban
    • Trolling - instant ban
    • Being rude to other members - Depends on how bad it was, but we usually issue a few warnings before banning.
    • Posting nothing but junk - We usually issue a few warnings before banning.
    • Breach of forum rules - Depends on how bad it was, but we usually issue a few warnings before banning.
    Only a query, no concern. But, how is the second item intended. (Piracy).
    I see many posts, for example, discussing what they have found in the latest leaks of "Blue". As this is only available as a pirated download, I presume this, at least, is acceptable? So my question remains??
    I think there's no problem in discussing that, as far as you don't post links to any pirated material.

    Right ?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Quote Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
    It's a grey area, blue isn't for sale and is only being discussed and not linked by people we know have legitimate Windows 8 licenses.

    Windows 8 was killed by the lack of leaks and building of momentum among enthusiasts, if MSFT didn't want blue to leak we would see nothing like we did with Windows 8.
    I follow you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
How do people get banned from this forum?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook