Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

performance

  1. #1


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 Release Preview

    performance


    i recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 release preview and since i upgraded everything has been laggy and unsmooth as windows 7 has been fast and smooth.

    could this because its the unofficial OS and Microsoft needs make more compatible to more systems or do i need to get better hardware

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Try creating a separate partition and dual boot with Windows7, do a fresh install in the separate partition and compare.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    USA/Tenn/Oak Ridge
    Posts : 245
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Awad View Post
    i recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 release preview and since i upgraded everything has been laggy and unsmooth as windows 7 has been fast and smooth.

    could this because its the unofficial OS and Microsoft needs make more compatible to more systems or do i need to get better hardware
    Ok...From what I can tell from your specs you have a 64Bit processor and to run Win 8 with a 64Bit processor your need at least 2GB of RAM.
    Your Specs:
    OS Windows 8 Release Preview
    CPU Intel Pentinum D CPU 3.00GHz
    Motherboard D945GTP
    Memory 1GB
    Graphics Card 256MB
    Windows 8 Release Preview: frequently asked questions
    Windows 8 Release Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:

    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    HTH
    Good luck and have fun.
    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Poor performance can happen when you do an upgrade instead of a clean install. If it was me I would start over and do a clean install and then see if things improve. Or as mentioned, setup a dual boot with Windows 7, that is what I have done on this PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    USA/Tenn/Oak Ridge
    Posts : 245
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Poor performance can happen when you do an upgrade instead of a clean install. If it was me I would start over and do a clean install and then see if things improve. Or as mentioned, setup a dual boot with Windows 7, that is what I have done on this PC.
    +1.. That's so true. I would still get at least one more gig of RAM. At the price it can't hurt and it might just help out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    +1 to the buying more RAM suggestion too. Adding RAM at todays prices is pretty much your best bang for the buck. Moving up from 1 gig should be a noticeable improvement.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Ditto on all suggestions thus far. I upgraded my rig from 1 to 2 GBs for around $40 USG. What a tremendous difference it made
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    USA/Tenn/Oak Ridge
    Posts : 245
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Ditto on all suggestions thus far. I upgraded my rig from 1 to 2 GBs for around $40 USG. What a tremendous difference it made
    I've got 4GB now and I think I might max mine out next month to 8GB. I wish I could put more in but my mother board is only capable of using 8MB. I found this... Amazon.com: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB XMS2 PC2-6400 800Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR2 Desktop Memory: Electronics

    I can get two of those and I get free 2nd day UPS shipping for free from Amazon so it's a deal in my book. More RAM good MAX Best!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Ditto on all suggestions thus far. I upgraded my rig from 1 to 2 GBs for around $40 USG. What a tremendous difference it made
    I've got 4GB now and I think I might max mine out next month to 8GB. I wish I could put more in but my mother board is only capable of using 8MB. I found this... Amazon.com: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB XMS2 PC2-6400 800Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR2 Desktop Memory: Electronics

    I can get two of those and I get free 2nd day UPS shipping for free from Amazon so it's a deal in my book. More RAM good MAX Best!!
    Unfortunately mine is maxed at 2GB. It's an older rig. I'm riding on the brink. Can't afford a new rig plus get a Surface or other this late Fall. I can shove a video card which will help.

    Anyone have suggestions on which card? I don't wanna go too big or small.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    USA/Tenn/Oak Ridge
    Posts : 245
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Ditto on all suggestions thus far. I upgraded my rig from 1 to 2 GBs for around $40 USG. What a tremendous difference it made
    I've got 4GB now and I think I might max mine out next month to 8GB. I wish I could put more in but my mother board is only capable of using 8MB. I found this... Amazon.com: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB XMS2 PC2-6400 800Mhz 240-Pin Dual Channel DDR2 Desktop Memory: Electronics

    I can get two of those and I get free 2nd day UPS shipping for free from Amazon so it's a deal in my book. More RAM good MAX Best!!
    Unfortunately mine is maxed at 2GB. It's an older rig. I'm riding on the brink. Can't afford a new rig plus get a Surface or other this late Fall. I can shove a video card which will help.

    Anyone have suggestions on which card? I don't wanna go too big or small.
    I got a cheap one for mine.. I'm on a fixed income so it has to be cheap. Wish I could help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
performance
Related Threads
Cpu performance in Performance & Maintenance
I would like to know why Cpu performance is so much better in W7 than W8 or 8.1
Solved Performance across partitions in Drivers & Hardware
Hi My PC has a 2tb hard drive with two partitions, currently I install my gaming programs on the same partition as the operating system. If I installed them on the second partition would that impact on graphic performance. Thanks Daniel
I had installed 64-bit Windows 8 (not 8.1) and it was awesome in performance while playing games. I enjoyed playing many games like Black Mesa, Half Life etc. Now I have switched to other computer who have 32-bit of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 is awesome but it gets slow for some time when I quit the...
Hello, I'm CrazyKilla I have a GTX 780 ti and from most of the things I hear "there's nothing out there such high end cards cannot run". Sadly not true for me, I bought a EVGA gtx 780 ti superclocked and I've been playing many games. Skyrim: Very High textures with an ENB and ugridstoload is...
Performance really odd in Performance & Maintenance
Short version: My old laptop (3 years old, full of junk, slow) runs a minecraft game on about 25 fps. With the exact same video settings and environment, my brand new top-of-the-range quad core Samsung laptop runs it with about 11/12 fps... I've spoken to a few friends and they can't understand...
Poor USB 3 performance in Drivers & Hardware
I have a MSI Z77A GD65 mobo, and in Windows 7 USB 3 is running very well with up to 120kb/sec on my USB 3 hdd. Same hdd, same USB 3 port, but in windows 8 only 40-65kb/sec. I have tried to install the Intel USB 3 driver from MSI, but I get a warning, that the Win7 x64 driver has some...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook