Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


recimg /createimage Error Code - 0x80042316

  1. #1


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8 Release Preview

    recimg /createimage Error Code - 0x80042316


    I'm trying to create a Windows 8 snapshot using:

    C:\Windows\system32>recimg /createimage C:\snap
    Source OS location: C:
    Recovery image path: C:\snap\CustomRefresh.wim
    Creating recovery image. Press [ESC] to cancel.
    Initializing
    100%
    Creating snapshot
    20%
    The recovery image cannot be written.
    Error Code - 0x80042316

    Sometimes recimg works and creates the snapshot without issue other times I get the error above.
    I'm using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400.

    Any ideas what the problem could be?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Looks like it is having trouble completing the snapshot if it stops at 20%.

    Possible issue with vss or not enough space to store the bitmap.

    Strange it says image could not be written.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    INDIA
    Posts : 148
    Windows 8 RP, Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by swu123 View Post
    I'm trying to create a Windows 8 snapshot using:

    C:\Windows\system32>recimg /createimage C:\snap
    Source OS location: C:
    Recovery image path: C:\snap\CustomRefresh.wim
    Creating recovery image. Press [ESC] to cancel.
    Initializing
    100%
    Creating snapshot
    20%
    The recovery image cannot be written.
    Error Code - 0x80042316

    Sometimes recimg works and creates the snapshot without issue other times I get the error above.
    I'm using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400.

    Any ideas what the problem could be?
    I got the similar problem as well on Windows 8 CP:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8 Release Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Looks like it is having trouble completing the snapshot if it stops at 20%.

    Possible issue with vss or not enough space to store the bitmap.

    Strange it says image could not be written.
    I'm unable to find anything specific to recimg for error code 0x80042316, but I did find something referring to VSS
    Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x80042316 - snapshot set in progress

    Volume Shadow Copy Error 0x80042316 - snapshot set in progress
    This warning is given typically when the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is unable to run due to another instance of VSS already running.

    I should have plenty of free space available for creating the snapshot so I don't think that's the issue.

    Does this mean that I would just have to wait until VSS has finished or maybe restart it?


    During further testing I started getting a different error as well:

    C:\Windows\system32>recimg /createimage C:\snap
    Source OS location: C:
    Recovery image path: C:\snap\CustomRefresh.wim
    Creating recovery image. Press [ESC] to cancel.
    Initializing
    100%
    Creating snapshot
    100%
    The recovery image cannot be written.
    Error Code - 0x800703f1

    Any ideas on that one?

    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8 Release Preview


    Quote Originally Posted by kapilarya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swu123 View Post
    I'm trying to create a Windows 8 snapshot using:

    C:\Windows\system32>recimg /createimage C:\snap
    Source OS location: C:
    Recovery image path: C:\snap\CustomRefresh.wim
    Creating recovery image. Press [ESC] to cancel.
    Initializing
    100%
    Creating snapshot
    20%
    The recovery image cannot be written.
    Error Code - 0x80042316

    Sometimes recimg works and creates the snapshot without issue other times I get the error above.
    I'm using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400.

    Any ideas what the problem could be?
    I got the similar problem as well on Windows 8 CP:

    Click image for larger version
    You may want to try testing on Windows 8 Release Preview instead. They have made changes to recimg that may fix the problem you are having.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    INDIA
    Posts : 148
    Windows 8 RP, Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by swu123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kapilarya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swu123 View Post
    I'm trying to create a Windows 8 snapshot using:

    C:\Windows\system32>recimg /createimage C:\snap
    Source OS location: C:
    Recovery image path: C:\snap\CustomRefresh.wim
    Creating recovery image. Press [ESC] to cancel.
    Initializing
    100%
    Creating snapshot
    20%
    The recovery image cannot be written.
    Error Code - 0x80042316

    Sometimes recimg works and creates the snapshot without issue other times I get the error above.
    I'm using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400.

    Any ideas what the problem could be?
    I got the similar problem as well on Windows 8 CP:

    Click image for larger version
    You may want to try testing on Windows 8 Release Preview instead. They have made changes to recimg that may fix the problem you are having.
    It doesn't matters whether you use CP or RP! We're getting errors on both....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by swu123 View Post
    I'm trying to create a Windows 8 snapshot using:

    C:\Windows\system32>recimg /createimage C:\snap
    Source OS location: C:
    Recovery image path: C:\snap\CustomRefresh.wim
    Creating recovery image. Press [ESC] to cancel.
    Initializing
    100%
    Creating snapshot
    20%
    The recovery image cannot be written.
    Error Code - 0x80042316

    Sometimes recimg works and creates the snapshot without issue other times I get the error above.
    I'm using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400.

    Any ideas what the problem could be?
    It seems that you don't use Windows partition to boot. You shoule use Parted Magic to set boot flag to this partition
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

recimg /createimage Error Code - 0x80042316
Related Threads
I was checking my uncle's laptop (He's clueless.) (2013 Toshiba Satellite Intel i3, 6gb, 750gb HD, Windows 8.1) on Thanksgiving. I was doing basic maintenance. I ran Windows Defender, SFC, CHKDSK. I created restore points and updated some software. All OK. I went to run the Custom Refresh...
Windows 8, "File: \BCD Error Code: 0xc0000034" Good Day Everyone, Trying to resolve this error: https://www.eightforums.com/attachments/performance-maintenance/43833d1401090904t-windows-8-missing-file-bcd-error-code-0xc0000034-20140526_015104.jpg I...
Hello, Am using recimg to create custom image on freshly upgraded win 8.1 install. It fails almost immediately with this message appearing in a pop up: "The procedure entry point ??0BufferedStream@UnBCL@@QEAA@PEAVStream@1@K@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library...
Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (from the DHCP server) for the network card. The following error occurred 0x79. Your computer will continue to try to obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server. Anyone know what his means in layman's terms...
recimg error 0x8007007b in General Support
I tried to create a custom refresh image using recimg and got an error code 8007007b. I cannot find any information on this error. Perhaps someone knows what it might mean. The administrator command prompt windows reads as follows: C:\WINDOWS\system32>recimg /createimage...
Recimg error 80070002 in Performance & Maintenance
I was trying out the recimg function today for the first time and encountered the 8007002 error. I tried both the manual method and RecImgManager from Slimware. Both failed. All posted remedies on Microsoft were inapplicable, as were the few other listings on other sites. What I discovered was...
0x80070570 when running recimg /createimage in Performance & Maintenance
http://f.cl.ly/items/3G1B1e3f350v2D2i0F29/Image%202012-11-22%20at%203.46.14%20PM.png The image says it all. I've searched around, and nobody else seems to have this error when creating a custom refresh image, so does anybody have a solution?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook