Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Want to improve performance of both of my computers.

  1. #11


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post

    It fixed itself after I installed a new wifi adapter.
    You know that was beginning of your last thread installing i believe a driver for Network adapter, we questioned it, but you did not seem to think it was the cause, but at beginning of that thread, i thought it was a possibility since afterwards this had happened. Still kind of wonder how it caused it then, just bad adpater.
    Yea it was bad, downloading at 1.5 mb/s (instead of upto 12.5mb/s) and large downloads kept corrupting
    But why it made the hard drive usage go so high then, making me think. Try some of things listed in my post here # 6,see how system performance is.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post

    You know that was beginning of your last thread installing i believe a driver for Network adapter, we questioned it, but you did not seem to think it was the cause, but at beginning of that thread, i thought it was a possibility since afterwards this had happened. Still kind of wonder how it caused it then, just bad adpater.
    Yea it was bad, downloading at 1.5 mb/s (instead of upto 12.5mb/s) and large downloads kept corrupting
    But why it made the hard drive usage go so high then, making me think. Try some of things listed in my post here # 6,see how system performance is.
    Which post?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Welcome back Micro, would not use third party applications to do this, cause more bad then good. Can make changes in settings of Windows itself to optimize it for better performance. First check here if this was what you meant by Automatic tasks, not sure. Use System Diagnostics too.

    https://www.maketecheasier.com/windo...nalyse-system/
    Attachment 64041

    As i recall had issues here never shown resolved ???, possible HDD failure Harddrive randomly goes to 100% and system doesn't respond

    Few articles showing ways within Windows to improve performance, but as we know other ways is to improve on hardware.

    Similar for Win 7 as for Win 8.1, do not worry about it saying 7 here.
    Optimize Windows for better performance - Windows Help

    See you have a HDD, a SSD will improve speeds in read and write in Windows as the OS disk, more RAM i am not sure how high can go but 8GB is good enough for apps and games. Processor looks fine, as we know see in articles startup and running services limit them as much as you can, Windows experience index just give you a number rating ...read some more here...

    https://www.wiknix.com/how-to-make-w...-1-run-faster/
    This one ! Just realized you saying 2 computers for this post. Performance improvements can be done in Windows settings itself, optimizing settings or better hardware, as for third party software just need cleaners like CCleaner, rest of maintenance can be done in Windows 8.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    Oh I'll look now. I was looking for the #6 post but was confused as it my post
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Kirkham UK
    Posts : 125
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit


    For disabling start-up programs please see this post

    Everything from the start-up tab in task manager is gone!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    Oh I'll look now. I was looking for the #6 post but was confused as it my post
    Sorry #5 but was quoted in your post #6 too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Microbillgates View Post
    For disabling start-up programs please see this post

    Everything from the start-up tab in task manager is gone!
    Your all over the place here Asked question there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Want to improve performance of both of my computers.
Related Threads
improve wifi in Network & Sharing
The internet connection I am getting is fiber optic 100Mbps Upload & Download. The router is Dlink 850L. My router is placed in my lounge. I usually sit at a desk with my laptop which is about 6 feet away from the router (in the same room), here I get full signal & my speed is about 40Mbps....
One question, will SSD improve overall PC performance? For example, like antivirus scanning or installs faster than usual? Thanks.:D
By doing this, you can make a single key do three things: 1. The first time you press it, from a Windows 8 (or "Metro") App, it switches to the Desktop mode with all windows still open. 2. If you then hit the key a second time, it minimizes all the windows. 3. Then if you hit it a third time, it...
Like all previous versions of Microsoft’s operating system, Windows 8 is highly customizable, so if there’s something about it you don’t like -- something fairly minor that is, rather than the entire OS -- you might be able to change it by installing a third-party app, or making some registry...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook