Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 System Restore failing, error 0x80070571

  1. #11


    Posts : 50
    win8 64bit


    1. Use the Event Viewer to detect why System Recovery not working. To do this, type eventvwr.msc /s in Searching Box and press Enter to open the Event Viewer. Double-click on Applications and Services Logs to view the event description.
    2. Check if the drive you want to restore has System Restore turned on, and Check if the drives which have System Protection turned on have enough disk space. It is recommended to have at least 300MB free space on the specific drives.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by mysery126 View Post
    1. Use the Event Viewer to detect why System Recovery not working. To do this, type eventvwr.msc /s in Searching Box and press Enter to open the Event Viewer. Double-click on Applications and Services Logs to view the event description.
    2. Check if the drive you want to restore has System Restore turned on, and Check if the drives which have System Protection turned on have enough disk space. It is recommended to have at least 300MB free space on the specific drives.
    Might be o.k. check event viewer as may only see same error code, but believe system restore being disabled not going cause this error 0x80070571 and had that low disk space be having more issues with pagefile too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 112
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Believe those are due to Windows update KB322345 as some had this issue, some was fixed, as may fix for all by time Windows 10 comes out, not an issue won't cause you problems with PC. You are welcome for the help so far, hope we can find the solution though.
    "jds63 -- thanks for your help man. So I checked out the Cbs.log and these are the two files that couldn't be fixed:"

    Uninstalling KB322345 is the first thing to try. His log is virtually the same as the one in post 3 in this thread - Some files cannot be repaired!

    from this article - Microsoft confirms patch KB 3022345 breaks SFC /scannow | InfoWorld
    "This update contains the following two manifests that are occasionally updated by the Diagnostic Tracking Service:
    telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
    utc.app.json
    The two files are marked as static files in the update. When an advanced user runs the System File Checker Tool (sfc.exe), the files are unintentionally flagged as corrupted."

    "may fix for all by time Windows 10 comes out"
    FYI- Microsoft claims it has a replacement for this Diagnostics Tracking service that fixes this problem once and for all although I have not tested - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708 linked from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 112
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by hau5junkie87 View Post
    2015-06-29 22:23:14, Info CSI 00000519 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

    2015-07-02 19:24:52, Info CSI 00000a1a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

    These two particular files (in quotes) were scattered throughout the file, with perhaps some varation in the details (figure they're all the same). So does this mean anything to anyone? It's all gibberish to me.
    See links in post 13. To check if you have this update, go to Control Panel/ Progs & Feat's/ View Installed Updates / type KB322345 in search box. I'm betting you installed this, like I did and uninstalling it will result in a clean scannow
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Believe those are due to Windows update KB322345 as some had this issue, some was fixed, as may fix for all by time Windows 10 comes out, not an issue won't cause you problems with PC. You are welcome for the help so far, hope we can find the solution though.
    "jds63 -- thanks for your help man. So I checked out the Cbs.log and these are the two files that couldn't be fixed:"

    Uninstalling KB322345 is the first thing to try. His log is virtually the same as the one in post 3 in this thread - Some files cannot be repaired!

    from this article - Microsoft confirms patch KB 3022345 breaks SFC /scannow | InfoWorld
    "This update contains the following two manifests that are occasionally updated by the Diagnostic Tracking Service:
    telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
    utc.app.json
    The two files are marked as static files in the update. When an advanced user runs the System File Checker Tool (sfc.exe), the files are unintentionally flagged as corrupted."

    "may fix for all by time Windows 10 comes out"
    FYI- Microsoft claims it has a replacement for this Diagnostics Tracking service that fixes this problem once and for all although I have not tested - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708 linked from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345
    Your Welcome, as seen there are many posts on this. Many here know about this issue, but does not cause your system any problems to keep it, it was mentioned for thread starter because we are trying fix the issue and of course we would need to see the CBS log to make sure that was the reason for there SFC issue first.

    I happened to reinstall Windows 8.1 because of a drive issue and i never received KB322345 again, there was another can not recall KB number similar update for same thing, Diag Tracking, but i am error free with SFC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    San Diego, CA
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1, 64 Bit


    Thanks, everyone and hope you had a great 4th of July! Very happy to have come across this forum with such knowledgeable and kind members. So It turns out that I did indeed have the KB3022345 Windows Update installed. Instead of uninstalling it, I first made an attempt to repair those corrupt files following the instructions in this link:

    The Tech Cookbook Windows 8 update (KB3022345) causing corrupt files

    Unfortunately this method didn't work for me. Applied the fix and even though the results mentioned that the corrupt files were repaired, SFC kept detecting the same issues. So at that point I uninstalled the KB3022345 update. SFC was finally clear (woot!) but I still ended up refreshing my PC cause I still couldn't find a way to remove the Lenovo Power Manager 7 software (System Restore again failed after removal of KB322345). But after refreshing my PC Lenovo Power Manager was gone, however so were a ton of other apps/updates. I went ahead and D/L'd all the necessary Windows Updates and it turns out that this problematic KB3022345 update was taken off the list.

    Again, thanks to you all for your prompt and helpful assistance!

    Best regards,
    hau5junkie87
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    I had told you was not really an issue that you needed to uninstall KB3022345 as it will not cause any system problems, but as you saw like i did with a clean install for other reasons, it was not reinstalled. Definitely had nothing to do with the reason system restore did not work, but doing a clean install should have fixed it.

    Out of all this you did not even mention if system restore was working again as this was your main topic of your thread here.
    Since marked solved we are assuming it is.

    You are most welcome for the help, glad we can be assistance to you in this matter.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    San Diego, CA
    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1, 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    I had told you was not really an issue that you needed to uninstall KB3022345 as it will not cause any system problems, but as you saw like i did with a clean install for other reasons, it was not reinstalled. Definitely had nothing to do with the reason system restore did not work, but doing a clean install should have fixed it.

    Out of all this you did not even mention if system restore was working again as this was your main topic of your thread here.
    Since marked solved we are assuming it is.

    You are most welcome for the help, glad we can be assistance to you in this matter.

    I went ahead and removed KB3022345 only because I don't like the idea of having any corruptions (malignant or not) on my system, not because I believed that it would cause system issues. Understood you well in that regard. But I think that the presence of this corruption did hinder my ability to perform System Restore; however, that I won't know for sure. Instead of dealing with this System Restore issue any further, I uninstalled the windows update, made sure that SFC checked out fine, and performed a System Refresh instead. On my current, refreshed system, however, System Restore is fully operational and that puts a smile on my face. For that reason I have marked the issue as "Solved".

    hau5junkie87
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    O.k., i had this update at a time like you and it did not cause me any issues with system restore. I understand your point about not wanting corrupted files on your system that it can not fix, as many here also had and were aware of the cause of this issue from many pasts posts here on it. If read about this update it was to enable Diagnostic Tracking service.

    As we both should see now KB3022345 was not updated through windows again during a reinstall for reasons of this issue most likely from Microsoft and believe it was replaced with another, can't recall number have to find it.

    If you open Services and look for Diagnostic Tracking Services, i guarantee it is there and enabled, if you did all your important windows updates yet.

    Now, system restore was most likely fixed from a refresh, glad it is fixed and is solved.

    Hopefully it was not caused by any other cause, time will tell if all is well, for now i suggest while it is good make a system restore point manually before you install all back on the system.
    Last edited by jds63; 07 Jul 2015 at 00:31.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 112
    Windows 8.1


    hau5junkie87 ... SFC checked out fine, and performed a System Refresh instead. On my current, refreshed system, however, System Restore is fully operational and that puts a smile on my face. For that reason I have marked the issue as "Solved".

    Happy to hear that everything got worked out w/o too much effort. Cheers
    .
    Last edited by mrgeek; 07 Jul 2015 at 21:21.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows 8.1 System Restore failing, error 0x80070571
Related Threads
Greetings everyone, I've been struggling for the last 24 hrs with this. I first decided to perform a "PC Refresh" due to some instability. It turns out this operation removes all programs I had previously installed (I didn't know that, it's my 1st time dealing with win8). So I thought I'd just...
Hi, i am unable to restore my pc nor unable to create system image the error code it for both creating system restore point and backing up files anybody please help. Cheers Trojan
I'm not really used to posting in forums so I'll just try to explain my issue first. I did a system restore on Windows 8.1 the other day to restore some of my display settings and drivers. For whatever reason, the restore said it didn't take, but the settings were restored and my system had rolled...
hello guys, thats what i get everytime im trying to do system restore an unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x8007051a). im restoring from windows installation dvd and i tried many times with different dates of system restore.....
I just finished a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 64bit, updated my drivers, did all the Windows Updates, and reinstalled my Steam games and Adobe LightRoom. I had some problems with restoring files from my WD Passport external drive, and decided to get rid of all the annoying Passport-related WD...
I'll just assume that we have all seen this post, or had the issue our selves, at some point. I too was not lazy about this and searched Google, bing, and every forum on earth (including this one) for a solution. I was told, WRONGLY of course, by a web site that the Environment Variable PATH(all...
Win 8 system backup image restore error help in Performance & Maintenance
Hi there, My windows 8 pro install messed up n i have almost 2.8tb of stuff on my drive on a 3tb hd. I have an identical hd as a backup which i have (an apparently successful) a backup of my system from a couple of weeks ago on. I had set the system to do scheduled backups of the system (set to...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook