Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


AMD A8-5545m new laptop horrible performance?

  1. #1

    AMD A8-5545m new laptop horrible performance?


    Hello,

    I bought this laptop 3 days ago (hp 15-p030nr). It came with a 1TB platter drive and it was slow, so I replaced it with 512GB SSD.

    I read many reviews before purchasing it, they were pretty good. The reviews said the laptop was good for gaming and fast, well, I got the short end of the stick or something.

    I put a clean copy of Windows 8.1 on it when I swapped drives. All drivers downloaded from the hp site. Boot time is 51 seconds, that to me is insane. Playing minecraft I get a whooping 11-17 fps when moving and 55-60 if I stand still and stare at a tree.

    I have another laptop I have Linux on. It has a i7-4810 and an ssd as well. I knew this amd would not be as fast as that beast, I would however have to say I never expected 80-85% slower.

    Is something wrong or am I expecting to much? My Chromebook with the celeron cpu smokes this thing.

    Any help?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    How many "unneeded programs" start after boot? Go to task manager and shut a couple off or delay them. Have you uninstalled the crapware that came with your new PC(make a recovery usb/dvd with the oem partition first and later one without if allowed( ALL CONTROL PANEL ITEMS>RECOVERY>CREATE A RECOVERY DRIVE)) ? Both of my PCs boot to a desktop in less than 15 seconds, one is a Lenovo desktop with windows 8.1 only(fast boot on), the other an ASUS laptop has windows 7/Ubuntu where it boots strait into Ubuntu(must hold shift for GRUB to get to win7).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    How many "unneeded programs" start after boot? Go to task manager and shut a couple off or delay them. Have you uninstalled the crapware that came with your new PC(make a recovery usb/dvd with the oem partition first and later one without if allowed( ALL CONTROL PANEL ITEMS>RECOVERY>CREATE A RECOVERY DRIVE)) ? Both of my PCs boot to a desktop in less than 15 seconds, one is a Lenovo desktop with windows 8.1 only(fast boot on), the other an ASUS laptop has windows 7/Ubuntu where it boots strait into Ubuntu(must hold shift for GRUB to get to win7).
    Only needed programs starting (anal about that). No crapware as this is new install from retail 8.1 cd.

    Recovery cds were made before I switched drives.

    Any more ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    This thing is just horrible.

    79 second boot time on an SSD, horrible.
    Got rid of all startup items, no changes.
    Go into google+ in chrome, laggy as crap.
    But, if I do a selective startup, I get it to boot in 18 seconds.
    It just performs really bad for a computer with an SSD.
    Are AMD APEW (they stink?) all like this? Or am I indeed missing something?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I just bought a similar HP laptop (HP Pavilion 17-e040us ) with the AMD A8, 6GB RAM and the 1GB HDD. I did not yet install the SSD because I am still trying to find a caddy that fits the CD ROM bay.

    I do not play games but overall I am quite satisfied with the performance. Did you identify any culprit with the selective startup ?

    Identify the startup item that is causing the problem

    Click the General tab, and then select the Load startup items check box.

    Click the Startup tab, click Disable all, select the check box for the first startup item that is listed, and then restart the computer. If the problem doesn't reoccur, then you can eliminate the first startup item as the cause of the problem.

    With the first startup item selected, select the second startup item check box, and then restart the computer. Repeat this process until you reproduce the problem.
    Source: Run Selective Startup using System Configuration - Windows Help

    BTW - I always disable all startups except those that I started myself like gadgets, Rocket Dock, etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I just bought a similar HP laptop (HP Pavilion 17-e040us ) with the AMD A8, 6GB RAM and the 1GB HDD. I did not yet install the SSD because I am still trying to find a caddy that fits the CD ROM bay.

    I do not play games but overall I am quite satisfied with the performance. Did you identify any culprit with the selective startup ?

    Identify the startup item that is causing the problem

    Click the General tab, and then select the Load startup items check box.

    Click the Startup tab, click Disable all, select the check box for the first startup item that is listed, and then restart the computer. If the problem doesn't reoccur, then you can eliminate the first startup item as the cause of the problem.

    With the first startup item selected, select the second startup item check box, and then restart the computer. Repeat this process until you reproduce the problem.
    Source: Run Selective Startup using System Configuration - Windows Help

    BTW - I always disable all startups except those that I started myself like gadgets, Rocket Dock, etc.
    I got my startup times really improved.

    Starting in 18.225 seconds, happy with that. Here is what I did:

    run
    msconfig
    services
    checked hide all microsoft services
    disabled all except my malware bytes

    Rebooted to greatness. I am blaming chrome. I am going to try firefox and see how that fares, if it runs better it will become my browser.

    Minecraft FPS has also improved. I don't see how other then some program hogging resources. I rose to a minimum of 20 fps to spikes of 60, seems to work much better.

    Thanks for the replies. I am not going to mark as solved yet. Going to use for a bit and make sure everything is fine. Also going to post my results of the browser test.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Glad you are making progress. That AND A8 should actually perform pretty well. It runs 4 cores at 2.4GHZ which compares to a desktop Q6600. I have one of those in an older Dell laptop. It is faster than a laptop i5 which runs at 1.7GHz. So there should be hope.

    Another story are the graphics. Those I cannot really compare because I do no games.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Figured out what slowed the boot. AMD catalyst.

    Now, I tried minecraft more and the game really runs horrible. Why does AMD tout the APUs as gaming capable chips when in my experience, they are pretty much everything but. I swear, if my toaster had an OS (or the ability), it would run minecraft, it doesn't take much.

    I have a Lonovo Thinkpad edge that is older with an old Radeon 4250 and it plays minecraft slightly better, not much as it shouldn't.

    This is not my first time down this road either. Walmart a little while ago had a machine on sale, it was a model that was going to be discontinued. It had an AMD e-350 (I think). The sales guy was going on and on about how great this machine was and so I bought it. Please understand, I am a tech guy whom used to live in the AMD camp years ago. I am always hoping that AMD comes out with something great. I just don't keep up with the AMD camp much, so a bit ignorant in that regard (been living in the Intel camp for awhile now).

    How can they even tout this as a gaming chip? I mean really? When four year old machines are hanging with this thing in the graphics department. I mean, the Intel 4600 in my other laptop just eats this thing for lunch, all day, every day. And the 4600 never even claims to be a gaming chip, it just does it pretty well.

    I have been in the Linux camp for a couple years (used it since 99). I keep going back because of these things. Slow boot (my Linux machine boots in 9 seconds).

    Ranting here, I apologize. You would just think a modern machine of any type would, well, act modern.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by corbintech View Post
    Figured out what slowed the boot. AMD catalyst.

    Now, I tried minecraft more and the game really runs horrible. Why does AMD tout the APUs as gaming capable chips when in my experience, they are pretty much everything but. I swear, if my toaster had an OS (or the ability), it would run minecraft, it doesn't take much.

    I have a Lonovo Thinkpad edge that is older with an old Radeon 4250 and it plays minecraft slightly better, not much as it shouldn't.

    This is not my first time down this road either. Walmart a little while ago had a machine on sale, it was a model that was going to be discontinued. It had an AMD e-350 (I think). The sales guy was going on and on about how great this machine was and so I bought it. Please understand, I am a tech guy whom used to live in the AMD camp years ago. I am always hoping that AMD comes out with something great. I just don't keep up with the AMD camp much, so a bit ignorant in that regard (been living in the Intel camp for awhile now).

    How can they even tout this as a gaming chip? I mean really? When four year old machines are hanging with this thing in the graphics department. I mean, the Intel 4600 in my other laptop just eats this thing for lunch, all day, every day. And the 4600 never even claims to be a gaming chip, it just does it pretty well.

    I have been in the Linux camp for a couple years (used it since 99). I keep going back because of these things. Slow boot (my Linux machine boots in 9 seconds).

    Ranting here, I apologize. You would just think a modern machine of any type would, well, act modern.
    This is what's happening for me! Except it has never happened to me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by MCPlayer18 View Post
    This is what's happening for me! Except it has never happened to me.
    I just went into the game and tried playing and noticed a pattern.

    The game runs really well in areas where the world is loaded. There can tend to be some lag in areas where the game is not (single core performance lacking).

    I tell you what though, the more I played the better it got. I ended up averaging about 27 fps (which is playable) and occasionally it would drop and spring right back up. It will play Minecraft okay (at best), but it does not give the impression that AMD attaches to these chips.

    I have come to my own conclusion that this CPU is not a gaming CPU, even if AMD would try and have us believe it is.

    The SSD (for you) is a very worthy upgrade. It makes this machine pretty fast in other areas. But a gaming pc? This machine will never shine in that area. And Monday I AM calling AMD about their marketing.

    More tinkering to come I am sure. Just plum wore out tonight after 3 days of tweaking this thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AMD A8-5545m new laptop horrible performance?
Related Threads
Solved Horrible performance lately in Performance & Maintenance
I am now on a temp low pc until I get my build a CPU ; Celeron 3.00ghz single core ( I was with a Celeron E3400 @3.7) sadly my brother burnt it 2gb ram gigabyte G41-s2pt now I dont expect a good performance but It must work as it should was working fine on XP then suddenly it works in one...
Hi, I have a HP Pavillion G6-2295sa, I have installed Windows 8.1 and around after a week it gets all sluggish. Specs:
Hello. I have Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64, with Update 1. I want to ask you, where can be problem. CPU --> Intel(R) Core i5 3230M 2,6 - 3,2 ghz GPU --> Intel HD 4000 and nVidia GeForce GT740M 2GB (it switches how it needs) RAM --> 4 GB DDR3 and 1 600 MHz (1,6 GHz) HDD --> 750 gb with 5400 rpm...
horrible performance, decent specs. in Performance & Maintenance
Right guys, so i'm using a fairly old P.C. I understand my P.C is not going to be lighting fast, but it should be somewhat usable right? Incorrect. My specs are: AMD ATHLONG 64 x2 5000+ 2.60ghz 1gb nvidia 9500gt 2gb ram some nvidia board, pretty old not high resolution screen, 1280x1024....
So, as the thread title says, Battlefield 3 runs pretty awful on my PC. So bad that it seriously effects my gameplay, and puts me off playing altogether many times. As a little background info, these are my computer specs: Nvidia GTX560SE 4GB DDR2 RAM AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2 dual core...
Solved Horrible Sound Quality in Sound & Audio
Hi all, I am just wondering if someone has the same sound issue I have. Whenever I increase the volume the sound is really horrible, like from cheap $3 speakers. The sound is NOT clear at all. I tested the same files (mp3, FLAC) on anothet device and it is just great. Here´s my setup: OS:...
HDMI Is Fuzzy/Horrible ?? in Graphic Cards
This is my computer exactly, brand new: Asus Essentio Desktop 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive CM1745-05 - Best Buy Okay the TV i have is i think it's 19" but it's SYLVANIA HDTV / HDMI just like that I set it up to HDMI (use the HDMI cord) & it looks like this: (SEE IMAGE BELOW)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook