Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Ccleaner And Windows 8

  1. #31


    Quote Originally Posted by Antilope View Post
    You can write 20 pages of fluff if you want too, but what am I suppose to believe, you or my eyes?
    First thing you learn in piloting school is to trust instruments. not your eyes.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Comcast just upgraded speed for folks in my area free.
    You just need to apply for the wireless modem because the old modem is not able to handle the new speeds.
    Mine should arrive in a few weeks.

    It's usb so I ordered a usb port with 5 slots.
    All my usb's are now occupied.

    According to them my speed will double at no extra cost.
    So I should get 66 Mbs or so with the new free speeds.

    Click image for larger version

    Right now I'm paying for 6Mbs/second & am getting 33.
    Not bad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by Antilope View Post
    You can write 20 pages of fluff if you want too, but what am I suppose to believe, you or my eyes?
    I'll take that to mean: "No, I've never actually done anything even remotely approaching a scientific measurement to determine whether it really is faster. I also have absolutely nothing with which I can refute your argument, so instead I'll just make an ad hominem rather than be a mature adult and admit that you have a point."

    Personally, I believe the data. There's just no way to make the math work for what you describe. Maybe that has something to do with how what you describe appears to be based on a very fundamental and very wrong assumption about how HDDs and computers operate. The average seek time on a HDD is 8ms, which is the time it takes to get the read head over the part of the drive platter with the file you want. After which it immediately starts reading the file into RAM. It'll take more than 8ms just for your request to make it from your computer to the remote system with the page you want. So the early advantage is clearly to the local copy of the file. Even if the remote server has the page in memory it has to package it all up, send it back across the Internet, your computer has to unbundle it and display it on screen. There may be some specific instances where loading a page remotely is faster, but I bet if you did 100 trials with a stopwatch, you'd find that local copies come out the winner probably at least 60% of the time, if not significantly more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Quote Originally Posted by asvent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilope View Post
    You can write 20 pages of fluff if you want too, but what am I suppose to believe, you or my eyes?
    I'll take that to mean: "No, I've never actually done anything even remotely approaching a scientific measurement to determine whether it really is faster. I also have absolutely nothing with which I can refute your argument, so instead I'll just make an ad hominem rather than be a mature adult and admit that you have a point."

    Personally, I believe the data. There's just no way to make the math work for what you describe. Maybe that has something to do with how what you describe appears to be based on a very fundamental and very wrong assumption about how HDDs and computers operate. The average seek time on a HDD is 8ms, which is the time it takes to get the read head over the part of the drive platter with the file you want. After which it immediately starts reading the file into RAM. It'll take more than 8ms just for your request to make it from your computer to the remote system with the page you want. So the early advantage is clearly to the local copy of the file. Even if the remote server has the page in memory it has to package it all up, send it back across the Internet, your computer has to unbundle it and display it on screen. There may be some specific instances where loading a page remotely is faster, but I bet if you did 100 trials with a stopwatch, you'd find that local copies come out the winner probably at least 60% of the time, if not significantly more.
    Ad to that memory and disc cache. Were a page is to change in quick sequence, it's more than like that would be in some cache, FF does a lot of that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    I use it, I like it. So kill me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Comcast just upgraded speed for folks in my area free.
    You just need to apply for the wireless modem because the old modem is not able to handle the new speeds.
    Mine should arrive in a few weeks.

    It's usb so I ordered a usb port with 5 slots.
    All my usb's are now occupied.

    According to them my speed will double at no extra cost.
    So I should get 66 Mbs or so with the new free speeds.

    Click image for larger version

    Right now I'm paying for 6Mbs/second & am getting 33.
    Not bad.
    I hate you! I'm stuck with satellite.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    I use CCleaner daily, and with a random write. I have an OS partition of 60 GB (25 GB used), and I don't want to see it cluttered up with rubbish that I don't need. The random write might not be necessary since I don't do anything that might require it, but it is a safety feature such that if anything bad does get downloaded then it is wiped. I do use a good AV anyway. It's perhaps a matter of preference, but having used CCleaner for more than a decade, I will not be stopping because someone else has a different point of view. My system runs about the same each day, and I believe that is from CCleaner, possibly it isn't - I don't care either way. There is also the tracking issue from adverts which I also do not want - I don't use Facebook etc. - for the same reason - too intrusive.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by off piste View Post
    I use CCleaner daily, and with a random write. I have an OS partition of 60 GB (25 GB used), and I don't want to see it cluttered up with rubbish that I don't need. The random write might not be necessary since I don't do anything that might require it, but it is a safety feature such that if anything bad does get downloaded then it is wiped. I do use a good AV anyway. It's perhaps a matter of preference, but having used CCleaner for more than a decade, I will not be stopping because someone else has a different point of view. My system runs about the same each day, and I believe that is from CCleaner, possibly it isn't - I don't care either way. There is also the tracking issue from adverts which I also do not want - I don't use Facebook etc. - for the same reason - too intrusive.

    So, it's a "Happy pill" for you. Just for same reasons I don't want some program to decide what I want to do to and with my system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Southern California
    Posts : 788
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64


    Hey mates, Allow me to throw something in here once more

    As I stated for myself before, I believe in Ccleaner as a targeting removal system for specific files that are hard to remove yourself, often if you fear messing something up by tinkering in the registry. But in my personal experience, you will not receive faster speeds from using Ccleaner, especially not every day. I say that because in extremely rare cases, and if your computer is a really old model, it may help speed to use it after a very long time (again, based on my own experience with a cluttered clunker on XP, which did not come with many of the tools Windows has today). And I see no harm in removing temp internet files after a long time, to keep things fresh, but it really isn't necessary unless you fear malware, but that is a far fetched notion. Still, nothing inherently wrong with clearing the temp files after a time has passed.

    Having said that, there is usually no harm in using the program every day, despite the fact that it will not do anything for you. And like was said by others, the computer will just have to recreate many of the things that were deleted anyway. Which means that it spends time to create them, you do not end up gaining ANY space as everything gets recreated, and YOU spend your own time deleting them every day, which... takes more time away from you than you would gain in the first place. So in reality, it isn't worth it overall for every day use.

    Concerning other items that Ccleaner removes:
    Now, you can do a lot of the removal stuff from Disk Cleanup, but it may take longer to open than Ccleaner, which I understand would be a legitimate reason to use the program it over the built in stuff... but surely not every day? I work on over 30 computers regularly, and speed has never been gained from removing internet temp files or any of the other stuff. Only space, and most of the time very little of it.

    In the car to computer comparison that I've enjoyed thus far, I've got one - you don't clean your car every day do you? It will scratch it and wear down the paint over time. BUT you DO EAT every day, so you have to take that into consideration too. just kidding
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by off piste View Post
    I use CCleaner daily, and with a random write. I have an OS partition of 60 GB (25 GB used), and I don't want to see it cluttered up with rubbish that I don't need. The random write might not be necessary since I don't do anything that might require it, but it is a safety feature such that if anything bad does get downloaded then it is wiped. I do use a good AV anyway. It's perhaps a matter of preference, but having used CCleaner for more than a decade, I will not be stopping because someone else has a different point of view. My system runs about the same each day, and I believe that is from CCleaner, possibly it isn't - I don't care either way. There is also the tracking issue from adverts which I also do not want - I don't use Facebook etc. - for the same reason - too intrusive.

    So, it's a "Happy pill" for you. Just for same reasons I don't want some program to decide what I want to do to and with my system.
    There aren't any 'happy pills', just the usual utilities that might not be needed if the OS was designed properly in the first place - either doing the job itself, or allowing us, via various options to do what WE want to do.

    I am well aware of what CCleaner does and have looked at all the various options available, and it is the most versatile of the bunch, and free, so why would I not use it. As mentioned, I, and no doubt countless others are happy to use CCleaner. The speed aspect for anything is of secondary importance.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Ccleaner And Windows 8
Related Threads
CCleaner Retail in Software and Apps
Just wondering if its worth getting the retail version of the cleaner. I really like it and it's never screwed anything up. Should I get the extra features by buying it? What's you opinion?
CCleaner in Software and Apps
Do any of you have System Monitoring and Active Monitoring checked under options in the new 418 ver?
Solved registry /ccleaner in Performance & Maintenance
I used ccleaner on registry I saved before to documents, but I don't know how to merge, restore the files back where they belong Can anyone help! HP pavilion g6-2225nr win 8 x64 IE 10 ccleaner v4.07 Since this event my computer will NOT finish sfc/scannow,it starts and...
Did anyone else ever notice this? After doing a registry clean with ccleaner, whenever I go to the store and click on an app, it tells me that its broken and I have to refresh my computer. I luckily made a backup before doing it, but I still want to do a registry clean on my computer again.
Ccleaner in Software and Apps
*Whenever I analyze my C:\ with Ccleaner's registry cleaner, it always shows about 70 entries for Silverlight. What could be causing this and would it be safe to remove just these entries? Installer reference issues C:\ program files (x86)Microsoft Siverlght 4.1 There are some characters...
After two refresh and one clean install of Windows 8 within a two-week period, my computer freezes while I'm running CCleaner. It always stops at the same file: C\User\AppData\Local\Temp\_ME149482\PyWinTypes26.dll First few minutes, I can still use my computer, but after that, I cannot...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook