Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can't defragment drives because Windows detects HDD as SSD

  1. #1


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1

    -


    I have a RAID 0 array consisting of 4x WD Black. Windows lists the array as an SSD in the optimize/defragmenter UI. Both 'Analyze' and 'Optimize' are greyed out and therefore I cannot defragment the array. How do I fix this?

    For the record I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard (which is an Asus Rampage IV Extreme), latest Intel RST and Windows 8.1 fully updated.
    Last edited by Brink; 16 Dec 2016 at 08:53.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2,130
    Windows 8.0 x64


    I don't know how to fix it. But I would try one of the 3rd party free defraggers that support raid. At least until you can figure out why Windows sees it that way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    Intel see the same problem here but in reverse. There may be hint of something you can do.
    https://communities.intel.com/thread/40060
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Thanks for the input. What is discussed on the Intel link doesn't really apply the other way around as an HDD should always be detected as HDD be it in RAID mode or AHCI.

    By the way I do have two different RAID arrays in my system. One is 2x SSDs in RAID 0 and the other is as I mentioned 4x HDDs in RAID 0. They're all listed as SSDs in the defragmenter UI. Only my external HDD is listed as an HDD.
    Last edited by Brink; 16 Dec 2016 at 08:54.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    I know you are not using AHCI but RAID, but can you check if Trim is enabled ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I know you are not using AHCI but RAID, but can you check if Trim is enabled ?
    Yes, I have my storage controler set to RAID. TRIM is enabled. I'm on a X79 system and I have the EFI version of Intel RST 12.7 in the motherboard BIOS (Asus Rampage IV Extreme). In Windows I have Intel RST 13.1 installed. And Windows 8.1 is installed in UEFI mode.
    Last edited by Brink; 16 Dec 2016 at 08:54.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Jarv0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I know you are not using AHCI but RAID, but can you check if Trim is enabled ?
    Yes, I have my storage controler set to RAID. TRIM is enabled. I'm on a X79 system and I have the EFI version of Intel RST 12.7 in the motherboard BIOS (Asus Rampage IV Extreme). In Windows I have Intel RST 13.1 installed. And Windows 8.1 is installed in UEFI mode.
    That may be is confusing Windows in thinking those are SSDs, I'm not sure if HDDs in RAID (I suppose it's RAID0) need Trim at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarv0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I know you are not using AHCI but RAID, but can you check if Trim is enabled ?
    Yes, I have my storage controler set to RAID. TRIM is enabled. I'm on a X79 system and I have the EFI version of Intel RST 12.7 in the motherboard BIOS (Asus Rampage IV Extreme). In Windows I have Intel RST 13.1 installed. And Windows 8.1 is installed in UEFI mode.
    That may be is confusing Windows in thinking those are SSDs, I'm not sure if HDDs in RAID (I suppose it's RAID0) need Trim at all.
    Yes, but the problem is that my HDDs are wrongly identified as SSDs and I cannot defragment them. AHCI or RAID doesn't matter, a HDD array should not be identified as an SSD because then Windows will not defrag the array.

    My SSD array is working fine because it's correctly identified as an SSD array.
    Last edited by Brink; 16 Dec 2016 at 08:55.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    The Trim, I was thinking that windows is wrongly identifying drive array as SSD because of Trim being on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    The Trim, I was thinking that windows is wrongly identifying drive array as SSD because of Trim being on.
    Gotcha. But I don't think it's possible to turn off Trim because as far as I know Windows does it automatically when there is an SSD detected?
    Last edited by Brink; 16 Dec 2016 at 08:55.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Can't defragment drives because Windows detects HDD as SSD
Related Threads
The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? Source A Guy
Hello. I just bought a Zeus Mini i300 from Best Buy. PC arrived today, set it up and it will not detect the GTX 750. it only detects the Intel Integrated HD card on the mobo. Not sure what to do, I've tried a number of things and my computer doesn't even detect the GTX 750. In GPU-z only the...
Hi all.. I tried to go to the display settings page to enlarge the font and apps size under "("change the size of apps, text and other items..") in PC settings of Windows 8, and was greeted by this message: "Your Resolution is lower than 1280x900 Some items might not fit on your screen" and...
Solved defragment D in Performance & Maintenance
I recently installed a defrag program called auslogics it says it defragged both C and D? I thought there was no access to D because it is my backup and restore disk? now i'm worried that D might have been compromised? HP pavilion g6-2225nr Win 8 x64 V6.2 IE 10:think:
Been googling this for the last hour, and I still can't install a game via a virtual drive; keep getting "Windows cannot access specificed device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access". Using Win8 Checked the Cdrom registry key to see if it was disabled (it's not),...
Poor Leo, He has lost two complete drives now due to corruption after booting from one drive, restarting, then using the BIOS to boot from another drive (both win8). He keeps getting "ERRORS, attempting to repair" on all of his drives. After chugging along for awhile, they usually boot but with...
Hey folks, new to the forum looking for some help. I have Windows 8 on my laptop, I have a monitor I hook it up to through HDMI. The problem is, whether the monitor is hooked up or not, windows thinks I have 2 laptop screens somehow. When I go to screen resolution, there are two identical...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook