Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will adding a partition upset the Windows partition order?

  1. #1


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 64-bit

    Will adding a partition upset the Windows partition order?


    I would like to add a partition to a drive having the following partitions:

    Number
    Partition
    Size
    1
    Windows RE
    499 MB
    2
    EFI System
    300 MB
    3
    MSR
    128 MB
    4
    C:\
    216 GB
    5
    Windows RE
    450 MB
    6
    Samsung Image
    19 GB
    7
    Samsung Recovery
    1 GB

    This should be easy to do with MiniTool Partition Wizard. In essence, resize C:\, add the partition in the unallocated space, assign the drive letter D to the new partition, and format it to NTFS.

    You will notice that the drive has two Windows RE partitions. This is because I updated to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 through the Microsoft Store.

    My question is if by adding D:\ I will upset the partition order that Windows expects to have. Your advice would be appreciated.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    'D' is usually assigned to the CD/ROM drive; the wizard may show you letters available to assign. Other than that, I don't see a problem with it, just don't short change yourself on OS space.
    If you could post a screenshot of Disk Management, that would give better insight.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 64-bit


    Thank you for responding so quickly! I attached a snip of Disk Management.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    'D' is usually assigned to the CD/ROM drive; the wizard may show you letters available to assign. Other than that, I don't see a problem with it, just don't short change yourself on OS space.
    If you could post a screenshot of Disk Management, that would give better insight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disk Management Capture.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Looks okay, I'm just not sure if those Recovery Partitions in front of 'C' block will become a bottleneck!?
    Right click on C to see how much you can shrink it.
    (Remember, you can only shrink that piece once but you don't want short change the OS space either!)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    If you haven't made your recovery media I would do it before you do anything to the drive. I've seen a few posts where modifying the factory drive partition structure breaks the factory restore feature. The Windows 8 Refresh and Reset may not work after you modify the drive partitions. If you originally installed Windows 8 and have install media then don't worry about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 64-bit


    Those are precisely my concerns.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you haven't made your recovery media I would do it before you do anything to the drive. I've seen a few posts where modifying the factory drive partition structure breaks the factory restore feature. The Windows 8 Refresh and Reset may not work after you modify the drive partitions. If you originally installed Windows 8 and have install media then don't worry about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 10
    Windows 8 64-bit


    The partitions before C:\ are part of the factory installation. The Windows RE partition after C:\ was automatically added during the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Looks okay, I'm just not sure if those Recovery Partitions in front of 'C' block will become a bottleneck!?
    Right click on C to see how much you can shrink it.
    (Remember, you can only shrink that piece once but you don't want short change the OS space either!)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by netnative View Post
    The partitions before C:\ are part of the factory installation. The Windows RE partition after C:\ was automatically added during the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Looks okay, I'm just not sure if those Recovery Partitions in front of 'C' block will become a bottleneck!?
    Right click on C to see how much you can shrink it.
    (Remember, you can only shrink that piece once but you don't want short change the OS space either!)
    Reset and Refresh may already be broken. From what I've read on these forums, after doing the store upgrade to 8.1, one of two things may happen. Doing a Reset will put you back to Windows 8.0, if it works at all. Or you'll be prompted for Windows 8.1 install media, which you don't have. I'm just going by what I've read. I've ditched the factory OEM 8.0 installs on my 2 laptops for clean installs of Windows 8.1 with update. There is no going back for me know. The factory recovery partition contains an image of the way the PC was when it came from the factory. The newly created 8.1 recovery partition doesn't contain any image, just some recovery tools etc, thus it asks for install media to get the files it needs. Also it appears that the pointer that the factory recovery utility uses may get pointed to the wrong partition because the 8.1 upgrade adds partitions. It has a lot to do with how the OEM set it up originally, some use more partitions than others. I am by no means an expert on thus, I just advise caution before you do anything. You may want to do some more research first. With any luck somebody that actually knows more about this will post some more info. If you have a larg enough external drive you may want to make an image your system just the way it is now. That way if things get messed up you can restore the image and get a working system back. I've seen this mentioned many times here so have a look, Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    What 'alpha' said; good advice!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Reset and Refresh may already be broken.
    All should be okay if you receive the following screen (see screenshot below).

    Note the following text: Go to the Windows Store to reinstall Windows 8.1 and your apps.



    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I've seen a few posts where modifying the factory drive partition structure breaks the factory restore feature. The Windows 8 Refresh and Reset may not work after you modify the drive partitions.
    If you have an OEM PC that came with Windows 8/8.1 preinstalled, you may not use the third-party partition software (for example, EaseUS Partition Master), because modifying the hard drive partition structure usually break the factory restore feature. But if you use Windows Disk Management to shrink the C: partition (see screenshot below), then refresh and reset should work, even if you have the 350 MB or 450 MB recovery partition after the C: partition. EDIT: This program does not break the factory restore feature: Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

    I added more pictures to this post: link

    Last edited by genet; 23 Jun 2015 at 16:16.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Will adding a partition upset the Windows partition order?
Related Threads
First off, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section. I appreciate the help. 33378 So that is a screen shot of my disk management screen. As you can see, disk0 and disk1 both have system reserved partitions on them. Disk0 is a SSD that I only want Windows,...
I used to have System Reserved on separate partion to C:\ but on my last fresh re-install, I decided to make C:\ and System Reserved in one partition. Here's what shows on Disk Management: 33263 My question is, which is better. System Reserved on the same partition with C:\ or on a separate...
I have a Samsung Ultrabook series 5 laptop..some couple of month usage i completely remove my hard drive and change the windows 8 to windows 7..when i use windows 7 i realize windows 8 is much better then windows 7 so again i clean install of windows 8. i boot drive in PXE UEFI Only Mode.​Some...
Adding Space to Another Partition in Drivers & Hardware
I have dual-booted Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. I have managed to free up a significant amount of space on Windows 7 and was wondering if it's possible to add some of the freed space to my Windows 8.1 partition? If pic won't resize, cope and paste: "http://puu.sh/4WcFx.png" ...
Hi everyone, I want to create a second primary partition on my first harddisk(disk 0 look at picture) 29235 from the free space there in the extended partition(view screenshot). Now my problem is that whenever I want to create a new partition by right clicking and...
Suddenly, the Acronis program I used to always use for partition copy, won't detect my USB mouse and KB. So, I'm having to do it with Partition Wizard 7. I've never used that to move a system partition, are there any issues doing it that way? The only other program I used to use for this kind of Op...
17344 This is my basic spread prime contains a win 7 installation(active) halo contains a win 8 installation(boot) and is a logical partition What I need to do is: format prime and combine it with halo , this will be my boot and active keep logic and halo as it is an my logical drives I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook