Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Chkdsk Scan hanging.

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by Wullail View Post
    The problem may be that you are trying to scan your system drive whilst your OS is running , Win 8 does a myriad of things while active , each write/maintainance item it does may cause chkdsk to pause/hang perhaps even restart from an earlier place.

    Your best bet is to download hirens boot CD Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info and attempt to do a repair using the utilities on there after booting to the CD instead.
    In the context of a re-boot? I'd certainly hope not, every attempt at doing his with previous OS's, (even just 8) have finished the chkdsk scan swimmingly, but to have 8.1 be so flawed is both frustrating and disappointing. I'd better not mess with Hiren's BootCD, don't want to create even more trouble for myself as it is.

    Thank you for the suggestion though!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Alright, I did the chkdsk scan again. This time it was from 5:09-9:05pm, and it seems to have finished(?) So I went out today for dinner and came back, my laptop was on sleep mode and when I started it back up I was greeted with the log-in screen.

    I can only come to two conclusions.

    1. The laptop went to sleep mode when I left. However, I don't that's the case, I have my dim setting set to (5) and my sleep setting set to 15, I started at 5:09, and left home at 5:25 without seeing the screen dim, or go into sleep mode, plus, this particular chkdsk was done via through the boot-screen, rather than through the desktop like my 'game' drive.

    2. The scan was a success!

    However, I missed the chkdsk log and was wondering if there was anyway to view results through my desktop.

    If anyone has any suggestions as to how to view my chkdsk log and/or offer any insight as to whether or not my scan has completed, feel free to give your response.

    Thank you in advance.
    -Arcturus Fyr
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13

    try this


    Hi Arcturus,

    Log is in
    Event viewer> application>search>chkdisc.

    sleep mode
    got rid of my asus sleep app(deleted), used the MS option too many conflicts if you run both, check both.


    MS has come up with another tool,
    try this it will take a while.
    Open up an elevated command prompt, and enter
    dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth.
    then run sfc.

    Roy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Hi Arcturus,

    Log is in
    Event viewer> application>search>chkdisc.

    sleep mode
    got rid of my asus sleep app(deleted), used the MS option too many conflicts if you run both, check both.


    MS has come up with another tool,
    try this it will take a while.
    Open up an elevated command prompt, and enter
    dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth.
    then run sfc.

    Roy
    No sleep app here, so I suppose I can rule that out. I'll try checking my event viewer later. Hopefully everything is sorted out. I'll try looking up how the last utility is used, i'm always cautious when trying new things on my computer.

    Thank you for the response!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus Fyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Hi Arcturus,

    Log is in
    Event viewer> application>search>chkdisc.

    sleep mode
    got rid of my asus sleep app(deleted), used the MS option too many conflicts if you run both, check both.


    MS has come up with another tool,
    try this it will take a while.
    Open up an elevated command prompt, and enter
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.
    then run sfc.

    Roy
    No sleep app here, so I suppose I can rule that out. I'll try checking my event viewer later. Hopefully everything is sorted out. I'll try looking up how the last utility is used, i'm always cautious when trying new things on my computer.

    Thank you for the response!
    The command:

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    is perfectly safe to run.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Hello all again! I'm here to inform everyone of my success and apologize for my late response to the subject of this thread. In good faith, and gratitude, I shall award everyone here a reputation mark as thanks for their support.

    I again apologize and thank those who waited on my response and helped me.

    Thank you all.
    -Arcturus Fyr
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Thanks for the rep.

    Check yours. +10 & another green pip.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Thanks for the rep.

    Check yours. +10 & another green pip.
    Thank you very much for the reputation add, it makes me especially happy that it's from such a prestigious member of the forums. Again, thank very much!

    -Arcturus Fyr

    I hereby mark this thread as 'solved', may those who might have the same concerns as I make good use of it, as I did.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus Fyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Thanks for the rep.

    Check yours. +10 & another green pip.
    Thank you very much for the reputation add, it makes me especially happy that it's from such a prestigious member of the forums. Again, thank very much!

    -Arcturus Fyr

    I hereby mark this thread as 'solved', may those who might have the same concerns as I make good use of it, as I did.
    You are welcome.

    I appreciate you compliment. {blush}
    It's nice to have someone take the time to say something nice about me.
    Thank you so much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8.1 Chkdsk Scan hanging.
Related Threads
Hi there! I recently built a PC after years of owning Macs. In general it has gone very smoothly, but I'm now running into an issue where Windows Explorer will freeze. This will go on for minutes at a time, and (generally) then resume functionality after what appears to be it restarting itself....
Quick scan & Full scan in System Security
As a practice if a Quick scan detects something I fix it & then run a Full scan & a boot time scan. Avast just detected 1 infection. When the scan is complete I will fix it & do as I stated above. I really should run scans more often, as should everyone. 46771
So sometimes when I try to click the bottom-left start icon, it suddenly does not work. I hover over it but it doesn't change color nor work at all, but after i restart explorer.exe from task manager it starts working again. This happens randomly, and can happen again in a short while after...
Hello, I have some questions regarding the new Chkdsk in Windows 8 (I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit). Please note that Windows 8's Chkdsk has changed considerably since the previous Windows versions; so if you know about the Chkdsk in Windows 7 or previous Windows versions, this could not apply...
I recently installed windows 8 pro in my sony vaio laptop. (i3, 3GB RAM, 300GB hard disk, ATI Radeon HD 5000 (up to date). I am having hang playing dishonered while playing games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, NSF MW2 etc., I tried to install the AMD Catalist installer Beta 13.. and the msg i...
Windows 8 PC hanging in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hey all, Lately my Windows 8 PC has been mysteriously hanging. I can still click icons and it would show the spinning wheel but programs won't load up (i.e. Chrome, task manager, etc) nor am I able to shut down the PC. I'll click "shut down" the spinning wheel shows up and then nothing. I sorta...
Windows 8 hanging during installation in Installation & Setup
before i begin am going to give you two slightly different board layouts and then give you the differences between the bootups my primary computer is amd dual core 4200+ 3 gig of ram 250 gig hard drive nvidia g force 8400gs and a
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook