Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Pagefile / swapfile?

  1. #1

    Pagefile / swapfile?


    I know a little about pagefiles and such.. but not as much as i want, atm, I currently Restored my system back to factory settings, out of the 8GB of RAM I have.. I'm using 5431MB used, 6562MB avaliable, is there any way to pretty much delete the page file and keep it low?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello 403Phaze,

    You do not want to turn off the page file since some programs require it to run properly no matter how much RAM you have installed.

    If you are not tight on hard drive space, then it's usually best to let the page file be managed by the system.

    If you are tight on space, then you could either move the page file to be on another hard drive OR change the min/max size of the page file to smaller. If you change the size to be smaller and start getting low memory type errors, then it means you need to increase the size of the page file until you stop getting them.

    Virtual Memory Paging File - Change

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello 403Phaze,

    You do not want to turn off the page file since some programs require it to run properly no matter how much RAM you have installed.

    If you are not tight on hard drive space, then it's usually best to let the page file be managed by the system.

    If you are tight on space, then you could either move the page file to be on another hard drive OR change the min/max size of the page file to smaller. If you change the size to be smaller and start getting low memory type errors, then it means you need to increase the size of the page file until you stop getting them.

    Virtual Memory Paging File - Change

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    Well I was brought up to me making a swap file? or a assigning it to a particular "partition" and making a swap file?

    I wouldn't turn it off, i was more or less wondering if it could be "cleared or restored" almost like internet browser, my main concern is, I only have 8GB of ram in my laptop and CURRENTLY have budget restrictions, so without upgrading my ram I was hoping there could be a temporary fix to increase this. I mainly use my laptop for Netflix, watching movies (off harddrive), and virtualizaton (VMware, Emulators....)

    I just dont want to run out of Virtual Memory and be stuck having to "restore to factory" every few months because of this..

    Thanks for the reply #Brink

    Click image for larger version

    403Phaze
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    Sure, you could move the page file to another hard drive if you like. It would be best to have it on one that's just as fast or faster than the OS hard drive to keep or increase performance. There's no benefit of moving it to a different partition on the same hard drive though.

    There's no need to do a factory restore if you run out of virtual memory. If you run out, it just means that you are either low on hard drive space, and/or you set the page file to be to small.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    As Brink said, you are better off leaving it to be managed bu the OS.

    However, I do not understand your primary concern and/or what you are trying to achieve.

    I only have 8GB of ram
    IMHO, 8GBs of RAM is more than adequate for most users.

    I was brought up to me making a swap file? or a assigning it to a particular "partition" and making a swap file?
    What would be your goal in doing so? I see no benefit based on your configuration. A 1TB HD is adequate.

    i was more or less wondering if it could be "cleared or restored"
    See this article but be prepared for a slow shutdown (while erasing):

    Virtual Memory Paging File - Clear at Shutdown

    is there any way to pretty much delete the page file and keep it low?
    I have 8GBs of RAM and was using a small SSD so I set mine to a fixed size of 200MBs with no issues.


    I really think you are better off just leaving everything "as-is" but do as you wish and good luck.
    Last edited by Brink; 13 Mar 2014 at 13:51. Reason: updated link
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    As Brink said, you are better off leaving it to be managed bu the OS.

    However, I do not understand your primary concern and/or what you are trying to achieve.

    I only have 8GB of ram
    IMHO, 8GBs of RAM is more than adequate for most users.

    I was brought up to me making a swap file? or a assigning it to a particular "partition" and making a swap file?
    What would be your goal in doing so? I see no benefit based on your configuration. A 1TB HD is adequate.

    i was more or less wondering if it could be "cleared or restored"
    See this article but be prepared for a slow shutdown (while erasing):

    Virtual Memory Paging File - Clear at Shutdown


    I really think you are better off just leaving everything "as-is" but do as you wish and good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Sure, you could move the page file to another hard drive if you like. It would be best to have it on one that's just as fast or faster than the OS hard drive to keep or increase performance. There's no benefit of moving it to a different partition on the same hard drive though.

    There's no need to do a factory restore if you run out of virtual memory. If you run out, it just means that you are either low on hard drive space, and/or you set the page file to be to small.
    I appreciate both your comments's, Like I mentioned I know little, but what I do know is, since I game alot, and stream movies, and VM, it chews up alot of virtual memory, so I would like to know the steps needed if I ever experiences a SLOW reaction time or "low memory" issue, and both of you helped me out immensely, I just wanted to know if creating a swapfile, would be useful, but my questions have been answered, thank you both
    Last edited by Brink; 13 Mar 2014 at 13:51.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 22,576
    64-bit Windows 10


    You're most welcome. I'm glad we could help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Pagefile / swapfile?
Related Threads
Solved Location of pagefile.sys? in General Support
I've been Googling, and did a little searching here on these forums, but can't find the answer to my simple question: Where is pagefile.sys located on Windows 8.1?? Edit: Found it. I had to tell Windows to not hide protected files. It's right there in C:\ :)
Solved pagefile issue in Installation & Setup
My Pagefile ,virtual memory increased all of a sudden on it's own to the size of my RAM 16GB Originally was set as total paging file size for all drives Minimum allowed: 16 MB Recommended : 5627 MB Currently allocated: 2432MB
Windows 8.1 Freezing (because of pagefile?) in Performance & Maintenance
I've been having an issue with system hanging and freezing for minutes at a time for some unknown reason, and am looking for help in solving it as it has been bugging the crap out of me for months now. Here's a image of what happens: 48143 The system will hang and wont respond to any...
Solved c:\swapfile.sys in Performance & Maintenance
Another swapfile, in addition to pagefile.sys seems to have appeared in Windows 8, in the root directory. At 262,144 KB, it seems large enough for a memory dump. Does anyone know anything about it?
Acting on the assumption that the extended start up times I am experiencing (almost 5 minutes from entering pin or password until START screen appears) might be due to disk fragmentation I decided to defrag my Windows drive. Of course a major obstacle in that exercise is the pagefile so I decided...
Solved Missing Pagefile, Swapfile, hiberfile. in Performance & Maintenance
I installed 8.1 upgrade to Win7. On checking SSD C: there is no sign of those filess. I can't remember if I had them in Win 7. How do I install them? I have 16GB of DDR3 memory
Pagefile.sys monitor in Performance & Maintenance
I would like to know what programs are using Pagefile.sys and how much space each program is using. Anyone know how to do this?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook