Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

System restore failed

  1. #1

    System restore failed


    System Restore did not complete successfully..“System restore failed to extract the file

    i turned off AVG self protection...but nothing works fine pls help



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Remostalin,

    0X80070005 means "access denied". Try running System Restore from Safe mode or at boot.

    System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I was just going to say, "to do a System Restore if you have AVG running, you must right click on the SysTray icon and then click on "Temproarily Disable AVG Protection".

    In order, I do a cold boot, Disable AVG Protection and then attempt to do a System Restore, without allowing any other programs to start. It will usually work then. At least it has in the past.

    Good Luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Remostalin,

    0X80070005 means "access denied". Try running System Restore from Safe mode or at boot.

    System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    in windows 8 ->advanced setting ->restart
    there is a advanced option ... is that safe mode??? i did system restore but not success
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    I was just going to say, "to do a System Restore if you have AVG running, you must right click on the SysTray icon and then click on "Temproarily Disable AVG Protection".

    In order, I do a cold boot, Disable AVG Protection and then attempt to do a System Restore, without allowing any other programs to start. It will usually work then. At least it has in the past.
    Good Luck!
    i did many times no useful
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    As a test, use the tutorial below to add "Take Ownership" to your context menu.
    Afterwards, see if you are able to take ownership of the folder in the error of your first screenshot.

    If successful, then hopefully you'll be able to do a system restore afterwards.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    And, if you want Take Ownership on Steroids, get the newer and more powerful, "Grant Admin Full Control".
    It's the first program I install when setting up any new PC.

    Sorry I don't have the link handy. A Google search will find it for you.

    Good Luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 22,565
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    And, if you want Take Ownership on Steroids, get the newer and more powerful, "Grant Admin Full Control".
    It's the first program I install when setting up any new PC.

    Sorry I don't have the link handy. A Google search will find it for you.

    Good Luck!
    That's what the "Tale Ownership" context menu does.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

System restore failed
Related Threads
System restore not creating restore point in Performance & Maintenance
I went into Task Scheduler and set System Restore to create a restore point every day at 12:01am. Under Conditions I cleared all the check boxes because I want SR to run regardless of whether computer is idle or not. I have been watching this for about 1 week and so far it's not created a single...
I had some software issues, and I decided to restore my SSD from a system image I had made a few days before, with Easeus. But after restore, windows could not access the boot file. I tried a bunch of recovery disks and command lines, but nothing worked. when I tried to reinstall windows,...
Hi all, I'd be really grateful if someone could help out a bit of a novice here..I'd love to avoid having to shell out another £50 to a repair guy and am determined to fix this myself this time!! I have a Packard Bell laptop that came with Windows 7, which I then upgraded to Windows 8 as I...
I was having a little trouble with the driver compatability of a new update for my toshiba sattelite computer so I decided to restore to a recent point and try to fix the driver and reupdate. When the changes were being finalized, a message saying the installation failed popped up and the computer...
Hello to all, A month back I accidentally deleted the wow6432 node from my registry under system_user. I believe this is the root of all my problems. Once I did that, my toshiba c885 D 64 bit would not boot. I forced the computer to shut down and pressed f12 to get to the system recovery...
Automatic Restore Points is not working in System Restore. Task Scheduler is empty during last 30 days.
I recently had to return my HP Pavilion g7 Windows 8 64- bit only laptop to the manufacturer for repair under warranty. Prior to this I created a system image as the Hard Disc was going to be replaced. Having now received the repaired laptop I have been trying to restore the saved image. I watched...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook