Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can't remove System Restore Points

  1. #11


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Have you tried this:

    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    OK, I think I found the solution. Now I am just waiting for the deletions to finish (I hope). I'll be back.

    Update: this is taking longer than expected....

    Big Update: I see that my friend David Bailey has already "revealed" the solution that I am, in fact, now trying. All kudos to Dave for posting it first. Now, I will just continue to try and confirm that it works! Thanks buy guy!

    This is taking forever on my machine. Maybe because I have so many references to be cleaned out. Anyone else game for trying David's suggestion? If not, mine will finish eventually (I hope)...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by jan18 View Post
    ...
    Perhaps if I could find where windows 8 stores these Restore Points it may be possible to remove them from there...

    Jan
    In that case, both SystemRestore and WindowImageBackup are stored in C:\System Volume Information folder
    uncheck Hide protected operating system files
    go through Advandce in Security tab to access it and sub-folder
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Have you tried this:

    Click image for larger version
    Thank you David Bailey, I have tried your suggestion as it is in the Brink tutorial.

    Regards

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Thank you David Bailey, I have tried your suggestion as it is in the Brink tutorial.
    I'm still in the deletion process so I will report my results when completed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Well, after that lengthly wait, I can confirm that it did not work for me either. So, try and work with effygy and see if he can get you through this. Good luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    OK, I think I found the solution. Now I am just waiting for the deletions to finish (I hope). I'll be back.

    Update: this is taking longer than expected....

    Big Update: I see that my friend David Bailey has already "revealed" the solution that I am, in fact, now trying. All kudos to Dave for posting it first. Now, I will just continue to try and confirm that it works! Thanks buy guy!

    This is taking forever on my machine. Maybe because I have so many references to be cleaned out. Anyone else game for trying David's suggestion? If not, mine will finish eventually (I hope)...
    Hi again my2cents, Thank you for going to all this trouble to try and help me. If your solution is the same as David Baileys, I have already tried that and it did not work.

    Regards

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by effygy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jan18 View Post
    ...
    Perhaps if I could find where windows 8 stores these Restore Points it may be possible to remove them from there...

    Jan
    In that case, both SystemRestore and WindowImageBackup are stored in C:\System Volume Information folder
    uncheck Hide protected operating system files
    go through Advandce in Security tab to access it and sub-folder
    Click image for larger version
    Hi effigy, I am afraid I don't know how to find this folder.

    Regards

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 97
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Well, after that lengthly wait, I can confirm that it did not work for me either. So, try and work with effygy and see if he can get you through this. Good luck.
    Thank you for all your effort...it is very much appreciated.

    Regards

    Jan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by jan18 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by effygy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jan18 View Post
    ...
    Perhaps if I could find where windows 8 stores these Restore Points it may be possible to remove them from there...

    Jan
    In that case, both SystemRestore and WindowImageBackup are stored in C:\System Volume Information folder
    uncheck Hide protected operating system files
    go through Advandce in Security tab to access it and sub-folder
    Click image for larger version


    Hi effigy, I am afraid I don't know how to find this folder.

    Regards

    Jan
    Go to Folder Options and:

    Click image for larger version

    Then search for it:

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Can't remove System Restore Points
Related Threads
I have a .dll which I use to https://www.eightforums.com/customization/24444-show-sort-headings-all-views-win-8-file-explorer.html I recently had to reset my Internet Explorer settings to remove Conduit Search hijacker. This stopped explorer7fixes.dll from working in File Explorer, because it...
No System Restore Points in Performance & Maintenance
Just thought I'd do a system restore point to get over a problem in another thread here and - there aren't any! Shouldn't windows automatically make them? I've had this problem for a year with windows 8 (now 8.1) and I think I even had it with 7. Before that it never seemed to be a problem.
I have used System Restore in Windows 7 to automatically create restore points, but not so in Windows 8 or 8.1. I configured TASKSCHD.MSC for a restore point to be created at 11 pm weekly, but not dice. I just changed the time to create a SR point daily at 7:15 AM to see if a SR point would be...
Automatic Restore Points is not working in System Restore. Task Scheduler is empty during last 30 days.
I am not being lazy, I have sifted through pages and pages of posts about this problem and have yet to find anything that does not either involve dual boot or some complex solution. I am running a cleanly installed standalone Windows 8 Pro X64 system which is not creating system restore points...
Solved No System Restore points in Performance & Maintenance
I've been running Windows 8 since 10/27 and just noticed there were no System Restore points. Doesn't Windows 8 automatically create them when a significant event occurs, like Windows Update? I created one manually but would like to see Win 8 create them.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook