Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Constantly 100% Disk while 2MB Transfer

  1. #1


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8 Pro

    Constantly 100% Disk while 2MB Transfer


    Alright so my problem is that my DISK goes 100% constantly when there is 1-8MB transfer going on. Anyways it can go up to 100MB with disk testers.

    Click image for larger version

    Wondering
    • Operating System error
    • Disk broken
    • Virus

    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8 Pro


    Thread up
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Any AV running at the time ? In that range of file sizes, they are usually programs and executable files which AVs regularly check and larger ones are usually MM files or larger continuous files like .ISO or .CAB and other compressed ones that do not get AV's scrutiny. There's also the case of some files being compressible and other not, which different drives and their controllers handle different ways.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    What's the meaning of the screenshot?
    You are scanning so Defender uses the hard disk.

    On other occasions there might be automatic maintenance going on or Chrome and Skype loading stuff up (0.2% usage).

    All good and well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    What's the meaning of the screenshot?
    You are scanning so Defender uses the hard disk.

    On other occasions there might be automatic maintenance going on or Chrome and Skype loading stuff up (0.2% usage).

    All good and well.
    Well shouldn't defender have to use like 100mb transfer to reach the 100% disk usage?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Any AV running at the time ? In that range of file sizes, they are usually programs and executable files which AVs regularly check and larger ones are usually MM files or larger continuous files like .ISO or .CAB and other compressed ones that do not get AV's scrutiny. There's also the case of some files being compressible and other not, which different drives and their controllers handle different ways.
    Well there is Windows Defender going on at the time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Mursa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    What's the meaning of the screenshot?
    You are scanning so Defender uses the hard disk.

    On other occasions there might be automatic maintenance going on or Chrome and Skype loading stuff up (0.2% usage).

    All good and well.
    Well shouldn't defender have to use like 100mb transfer to reach the 100% disk usage?
    No. 100mb transfer should be more than enough but not necessarily.
    In begin I also found those values weird but we just have to understand, one way or another, what the new Task Manager means by that.

    6-8mb is enough. 100% disk usage means that the disk is used. The copy/transfer rate is irrelevant, the more programs use the disk (even with tiny kb speeds) the more usage.

    Try to look at all the transfer speeds and see what programs use the disk and how much: there will always be a high percentage seen depending on the speed + number of programs using disk at the same time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    If you don't want Defender or any other AV program to continually scan files as you are moving them, you can try "Teracopy" - But I always shut off Active Disk Scanning while I am copying files, regardless of size.

    A good copy speed for me is about 50 mbps - IF you are getting 100, that's good. USB 3 devices? If you shut off active scanning, you'll get more speed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    If you don't want Defender or any other AV program to continually scan files as you are moving them, you can try "Teracopy" - But I always shut off Active Disk Scanning while I am copying files, regardless of size.

    A good copy speed for me is about 50 mbps - IF you are getting 100, that's good. USB 3 devices? If you shut off active scanning, you'll get more speed.
    Spinpoint 3.5 F3 7.2k (SATA 2). Now i'm ordering another HDD Sata 3 for recording .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    I'm afraid just the fact it is SATA3 is no help speed wise. It is better to get as fast one as you can or even 2 in the RAID 0 mode which would give you best results.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Constantly 100% Disk while 2MB Transfer
Related Threads
100% disk usage during file transfer in Performance & Maintenance
I have searched a lot in a lot of forums regarding this issue. I couldnt find the exact problem Im facing. I found a lot of 100% disk usage problems and their solutions, but none of them could fix mine. So here is my issue : every time I copy files from one disk to another or even within the...
My wi-fi keeps disappearing, it says "no connections available" and even the wi-fi adapter in network/sharing center is not present, only bluetooth is there. When I restart it comes back. I have a new Vaio Tap 11 tablet which came with regular Win8, I updated it to 8.1, got all the updates after...
WIn 8.1 constantly rebooting in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
This is the message displayed when CPU rebooted SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_HANDLED (ser2attr64.sys)I tried to find something on line with no luck:cry:
Howdy. In about every 10 minutes I get this pop-up saying ThumbnailExtractionHost.exe has stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: ThumbnailExtractionHost.exe Application Version: 6.2.9200.16384
Solved HDD constantly trashing in Drivers & Hardware
Hi, I've recently installed Windows 8 on an Asus X201E. There is an audiable constant disk trashing, although the HDD LED doesn't blink & the Performance monitor in the task manager also doesn't indicate any excessive disk access (literally 0% when nothing is going on). What could cause this?...
Hello guys, I hope someone can help here, I've registered on purpose! A close friend of mine has problems with the hard drive, I reckon. His disk usage it's always close to 80% reaching 100% several times, making impossibile to accomplish even the easiest things like listening music or watching...
Solved Freezing Constantly in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi I really hope someone can help me with this after installing windows 8 and using it for the past 3 weeks now I have found that my pc is freezing and not closing down properly and this gets worse with each day. I am unable for some reason to go back to windows 7 using the factory restore...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook