Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Disk Spike to 100%

  1. #1


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8

    Disk Spike to 100%


    Hello,
    I got my Lenovo Y400 today and every 15-30 mins it shows me in the task manager thad the Disk is at 95%+. Does anyone know how to fix it? The specs are below.
    Thanks,
    orimac11


    Processor:3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

    Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB

    Memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

    Display:14.0" HD LED Glossy with integrated camera 1366x768

    Hard Drive:1TB 5400 RPM

    Optical Drive:DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

    Battery:6 Cell Lithium-Ion

    Network Card:Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230

    Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0

    Warranty:One year

    Form Factor:Notebook

    Camera:Integrated HD Camera

    HDMI:HDMI (Out)

    Operating System:Windows 8 64

    Pointing Device:Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    Please send us a snapshot of your taskmanager processes

    Open task manager open full screen,

    select process

    click (CPU) so that the highest cpu usage is on top, then hit (SHIFT)(PRINT SCREEN)

    open paint program and paste.

    save as JPG and attach to your post.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    Please send us a snapshot of your taskmanager processes

    Open task manager open full screen,

    select process

    click (CPU) so that the highest cpu usage is on top, then hit (SHIFT)(PRINT SCREEN)

    open paint program and paste.

    save as JPG and attach to your post.
    Thanks for the reply, it pretty much stopped happening but i have another problem. The computer reaches 70C when playing minecraft! Should i get a cooling pad?
    Thanks
    orimac11
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    surely you should go for a cooling pad as while gaming a lot of computer resources are put on to work and it directly affects the battery and power supply of the system to a great extent .. what the overall outcome reaches to the laptop is exceeding temperature to the extreme point ..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    Your high disk usage might have been windows maintenance, it will do that after being idle for a bit, it usually stops as soon as it can when it detects that you are using it again, but sometimes it may be dealing with a large file and it may take a few minutes to finish that operation..

    70C is 158F, I get those readings when Im on youtube or doing heavy processing..

    I use a metal laptop cooler, but i dont need to plug it in, just raising it was enough. My HP has a design flaw where some of the exhaust comes right back into the intake, big dummies!

    But when I have it raised, the intake can get cooler air..

    Mine is very comfortable its pitched forward for easy typing, rubber non slip pads for my lap and the laptop made by coolermaster.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    Your high disk usage might have been windows maintenance, it will do that after being idle for a bit, it usually stops as soon as it can when it detects that you are using it again, but sometimes it may be dealing with a large file and it may take a few minutes to finish that operation..

    70C is 158F, I get those readings when Im on youtube or doing heavy processing..

    I use a metal laptop cooler, but i dont need to plug it in, just raising it was enough. My HP has a design flaw where some of the exhaust comes right back into the intake, big dummies!

    But when I have it raised, the intake can get cooler air..

    Mine is very comfortable its pitched forward for easy typing, rubber non slip pads for my lap and the laptop made by coolermaster.
    I have another problem now. I just turned on the computer after it did windows updates and it doesn't recognize my speaker/headphones. I rebooted and shut down the laptop and it still doesn't recognize. I updated the drivers, nothing helps. What should I do?
    Thanks
    orimac11
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 467
    Windows 8 Pro


    Your 100% disk use may have been superfetch running, loading in your often used programs , unless it's a meaty laptop then turn it off in services.

    The headphone problem , what does it show under your hardware list against the sound card/option?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Wullail View Post
    Your 100% disk use may have been superfetch running, loading in your often used programs , unless it's a meaty laptop then turn it off in services.

    The headphone problem , what does it show under your hardware list against the sound card/option?
    I checked my device manager and this is what it says under the video camera and speakers: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)" That means i have a virus right?
    What should I do?
    thanks for all the help
    orimac11
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 467
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by orimac11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullail View Post
    Your 100% disk use may have been superfetch running, loading in your often used programs , unless it's a meaty laptop then turn it off in services.

    The headphone problem , what does it show under your hardware list against the sound card/option?
    I checked my device manager and this is what it says under the video camera and speakers: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)" That means i have a virus right?
    What should I do?
    thanks for all the help
    orimac11
    One option is to uninstall the drivers there from the hardware list and then re-install them (or let the system re-install them if they were windows versions).

    As for the virus, it's possible, a malwarebytes anti-malware run might be in order just in case,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Disk Spike to 100%
Related Threads
Hello I have a HDD 750G with 2 partitions NTFS with data. used externally in a USB3 box connected to my windows 8.1 asus laptop. No idea what I do, I always use 'eject' before disconnecting this HDD, but now I see that with diskpart : DISKPART> list disk
Hello, thanks for reading and any help you may be able to offer. I have a Western Digital external hard drive. Model WD5000C032 500GB. It's an older device that was working just fine on my Mac (I don't know what OS it was running and do not have access to it any longer). I have brought this HD...
Unable to start Disk Management. I tried the following without success: - Check file integrity - Repair with DISM - Start the Virtual Disk Service and Volume SHadoy Copy manually and set them to Automatic and Manual (it starts, but Disk Management cannot connect to it) - Disable Firewall and...
odd cpu spike..cleared with reboot in Performance & Maintenance
for some inexplicable reason..my cpu usage spiked and stayed consistently at 25% tonight.. I identified the offending process as 'system' under windows processes and ran a malware scan and virus scan..clean across the board. I'm rather confused..as all I have open is vlc media player, skype, yahoo...
Hi Question before I proceed please : Have 2 hard drives (SSDs). Drive 1 : OS Win 8.1 for general web, office and junk running Drive 2 : OS Win 8.1 for tweaked hobby work; Audio recording etc Whilst I wish to not physically disconnect the drives on each boot. I would like to have the...
My laptop is about a month old and had Windows 8 preinstalled. Since set up, the system has had a massive spike in memory about 5 mins after start up. It lasts for just over a minute. I've no idea which process is causing it. It doesn't matter whether 'fast boot' is on or off ... every time I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook