Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to disable unwanted autostart delay?

  1. #1


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1

    How to disable unwanted autostart delay?


    Hi!

    Windows 8 waits several seconds before it start my programs that are set to auto start. I would like to make win8 behave like older variant. This new feature is of no value to me and annoying. The apps start too late and steal focus, or I just watch and wait stupidly for the apps to start while the system is basically idle... Hell, it's a lot quicke to start the apps manually lot of the, which of course defeats one main reason for auto-start.
    Does anyone have a solution?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    go to control panel->Administrative Tools->Services.
    Look for the service that you want to enable auto start, double click on it and change it to Automatic instead.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Dungannon UK
    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 x64 Pro


    Time saving way:

    Press Windows key+R and type msconfig and hit enter.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    go to control panel->Administrative Tools->Services.
    Look for the service that you want to enable auto start, double click on it and change it to Automatic instead.
    I wasn't talking about services, just plain apps set to "start with windows".

    Quote Originally Posted by vasyndrom View Post
    Time saving way:

    Press Windows key+R and type msconfig and hit enter.
    Well, that does have the an autostart tab which opens the task manager, but I don't see an option to disable the delayed starting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    avada, I assume that you already have your program auto-starting and you're looking for how to get it to auto-start faster?

    If so, I would agree. I've experienced the same issue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    I don't think there's way to control this behavior in autostart. All you could do is examine what's in there that is necessary to start with Windows and try to minimize them. It would not be that bad if you have a fast PC then the delay is very minimal. Often software company put stuff in autostart that is really unnecessary for them to run in the background. For example, If you install Google Chrome, then they'll put a googleUpdater in autostart, same as for Quicktime, Java etc... Those kind of things can be easily check manually.
    And worse, they created services that run in the background when Windows start, so everything contributes to slow startup, not just in autostart alone. In addition, there are services that come with Windows that don't apply to your normal daily use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    I don't think there's way to control this behavior in autostart. All you could do is examine what's in there that is necessary to start with Windows and try to minimize them. It would not be that bad if you have a fast PC then the delay is very minimal. Often software company put stuff in autostart that is really unnecessary for them to run in the background. For example, If you install Google Chrome, then they'll put a googleUpdater in autostart, same as for Quicktime, Java etc... Those kind of things can be easily check manually.
    And worse, they created services that run in the background when Windows start, so everything contributes to slow startup, not just in autostart alone. In addition, there are services that come with Windows that don't apply to your normal daily use.
    Yeah well, I only have things in autostart that I actually want. And there isn't a significant cpu hit (Also I have an SSD), windows just waits stupidly...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 143
    Windows 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

How to disable unwanted autostart delay?
Related Threads
Everything worked fine on Windows 7, but not anymore. Both Google Drive and Dropbox are set to autostart with Windows, but they don't. I even tried adding Drive shortcut to startup folder, but to no avail. I can start Drive manually though. And Dropbox has another issue - I couldn't install...
While checking some autostart apps, that I could possibly deactivate, I found something strange. There are multiple entries for "Conhost" and "icacls.exe". Moreover Adobe CEF helper also appears 3 times. On my other machine, Conhost and icalcs.exe don't appear at all and Adobe CEF helper only...
I want the VPN to automatically start up when I start the machine. How would I achieve that using the Windows VPN functionality?
Help unwanted malware!! in System Security
Hi all, I downloaded 7 zip on a page that has always been reliable.Well it gave me crap in my startup page on foxfire and IE. Here is what it says when ever I open my broswer. http://search.findwide.com/?guid={97C4E76E-A66E-4060-908D-B11223C757CA}&serpv=22 I ran Malwarebytes to see if could get...
Solved Unwanted Toolbars in System Security
How exactly is the best way to get rid of Toolbar Malware? I got rid of them using uninstall programs in control panels, and I no longer see the actual toolbar, but whenever I open up my browser it opens up two new tabs with two search engines with the same name as the toolbars. Suggestions? (I...
I've been running a problem that some of the applications from the startup menu doesn't actually start upon login. After looking at the list of the applications I've noticed that actually only the exe files that I've set in properties to "Run as administrator" (in compatibility tab) doesn't run...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook