Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

No System Restore points

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Can you force one?

    Not working for me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    I dual boot with Win 7 and Win 8 and Win 8 creates the restore points but when ever I boot to Win 7 it resets the Win 8 disk space to 0% and deletes the restore points. Win 7 restore points are not affected. When I go back to Win 8 I have to setup the percentage of disk space again. If I am doing updates or installs I setup the restore points in Win 8 and create a manual restore point. My main restore function is to use Macrium Reflect to image my drives and don't depend on restore points.

    I had booted to Win 7 on Nov 2 and after returning to Win 8 I created a restore point and Win 8 did the next two.

    Click image for larger version

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Weird. It is the other way round for me.

    Win8 restore pts are ok and they stay.

    Win7 has been disabled from even creating shadow copies.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    NY
    Posts : 78
    Windows 8, 7 & Xubuntu 13.10


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I dual boot with Win 7 and Win 8 and Win 8 creates the restore points but when ever I boot to Win 7 it resets the Win 8 disk space to 0% and deletes the restore points. Win 7 restore points are not affected. When I go back to Win 8 I have to setup the percentage of disk space again. If I am doing updates or installs I setup the restore points in Win 8 and create a manual restore point. Jim
    Same here. I have not come up with a backup plan as of yet. Backups are important, but system restore can be a very handy tool. A registry hack would do trick.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Ah ha, maybe that's it.

    I had Windows 7 setup for System Restore on my C:, D: and E: partitions but not any of the others (I have C: through I: ).
    I setup Win 8 the same way but in both cases, the other Windows is the I: drive. So when I boot either, it wipes out the
    SR points on the other boot drive which is now I:

    I'll change them both to include I: and see what happens.
    Last edited by Ztruker; 11 Nov 2012 at 21:50.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    NY
    Posts : 78
    Windows 8, 7 & Xubuntu 13.10


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Ah ha, maybe that's it.

    I had Windows 7 setup for System Restore on my C:, D: and E: partitions but not any of the others (I have C: through I.
    I setup Win 8 the same way but in both cases, the other Windows is the I: drive. So when I boot either, it wipes out the
    SR points on the other boot drive which is now I:

    I'll change them both to include I: and see what happens.
    I'm curious to see if that works.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    It isn't giving me the option. That is from win7.

    They don't let you restore your previous version from Windows.old either. Or at least, I wasn't able to do it.



    I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8 with Windows 7 installed first. For me while in Windows 7, the top option for Windows 8 was grayed out until I enabled the same top option for Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    NY
    Posts : 78
    Windows 8, 7 & Xubuntu 13.10


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    It isn't giving me the option. That is from win7.

    They don't let you restore your previous version from Windows.old either. Or at least, I wasn't able to do it.



    I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8 with Windows 7 installed first. For me while in Windows 7, the top option for Windows 8 was grayed out until I enabled the same top option for Windows 7.
    So does that actually allow restore points to be saved in Windows 8 after booting Windows 7?

    OK, I am in Windows 7 and the top option is not grayed out and is actually selected. How is that option in any way related to Windows 8? Sorry if I am misunderstanding you.
    Last edited by slopechz; 11 Nov 2012 at 14:00.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 22,582
    64-bit Windows 10


    My restore points don't get deleted when switching back and forth between startup in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

    This is how I have mine set.

    In Windows 7, system protection turned on for Windows 7 drive, but off for Windows 8 drive.

    In Windows 8, system protection turned on for Windows 8 drive, but off for Windows 7 drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    NY
    Posts : 78
    Windows 8, 7 & Xubuntu 13.10


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    My restore points don't get deleted when switching back and forth between startup in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

    This is how I have mine set.

    In Windows 7, system protection turned on for Windows 7 drive, but off for Windows 8 drive.

    In Windows 8, system protection turned on for Windows 8 drive, but off for Windows 7 drive.
    I have no option in Windows 7 for the Windows 8 OS. In fact, in W7 Explorer does not show the W8 OS at all. However, Explorer in W8 shows the W7 OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
No System Restore points
Related Threads
I have a .dll which I use to https://www.eightforums.com/customization/24444-show-sort-headings-all-views-win-8-file-explorer.html I recently had to reset my Internet Explorer settings to remove Conduit Search hijacker. This stopped explorer7fixes.dll from working in File Explorer, because it...
No System Restore Points in Performance & Maintenance
Just thought I'd do a system restore point to get over a problem in another thread here and - there aren't any! Shouldn't windows automatically make them? I've had this problem for a year with windows 8 (now 8.1) and I think I even had it with 7. Before that it never seemed to be a problem.
I have used System Restore in Windows 7 to automatically create restore points, but not so in Windows 8 or 8.1. I configured TASKSCHD.MSC for a restore point to be created at 11 pm weekly, but not dice. I just changed the time to create a SR point daily at 7:15 AM to see if a SR point would be...
Solved Can't remove System Restore Points in Performance & Maintenance
I have two restore points in System Restore that will not be removed. Both are System Image Restore Points that were created when I was experimenting with the Windows 7 Recovery backup tool in Windows 8. The backups were unsuccessful so I deleted them but I have been left with these two Restore...
Automatic Restore Points is not working in System Restore. Task Scheduler is empty during last 30 days.
I am not being lazy, I have sifted through pages and pages of posts about this problem and have yet to find anything that does not either involve dual boot or some complex solution. I am running a cleanly installed standalone Windows 8 Pro X64 system which is not creating system restore points...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook