Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Save files directly to Skydrive?

  1. #1


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8 CP x64

    Save files directly to Skydrive?


    Possible?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts : 76
    Win 8.1 Update 1 Pro 32-bit


    Is SkyDrive fully set up on your system? Meaning, do you have a SkyDrive folder that shows in your Favorites in Windows Explorer?

    If so, yes, you can save a file directly to that folder by doing a "Save As" in your favorite app. You can also do this from any computer, tablet, or smart phone that you have SkyDrive account set up on. Makes for easy access, wherever you are!!

    The SkyDrive Metro app confused me, so I don't use it.

    John
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    You could install Microsoft SkyDrive client doing so will add skydrive to Explorer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sd.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    You could install Microsoft SkyDrive client doing so will add skydrive to Explorer...
    The SkyDrive icon you see in Explorer is a short cut to the SkyDrive folder in the User Folder. In my case, a Windows 7, everything I save in this folder is also sync to the skydrive cloud space.




    The client also install a tray Icon, that link to the folder and also run in the background the sync.









    You can right click on the tray icon and choose GO to Skydrive.com, it will then open the one on the cloud




      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 21
    Windows 8 CP x64


    I probably should have been clearer. I'm aware of how to save file to skydrive. My question is in regards to saving from say notepad directly to skydrive. That was something I needed to do earlier tonight and I couldn't. I had to save the file first, then add it to skydrive with the metro app.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreets View Post
    I probably should have been clearer. I'm aware of how to save file to skydrive. My question is in regards to saving from say notepad directly to skydrive. That was something I needed to do earlier tonight and I couldn't. I had to save the file first, then add it to skydrive with the metro app.
    If you've installed the skydrive client, you can save directly to skydrive from the 'save as' option in any application.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    If you have installed the client- beware. This was my own experience and may not happen too everyone. I lost nothing important, as I was only using it to compare with other inerrnet hosters. Because of some private issues, I deleted the skydrive folder in my username section. It also removed the entire contents, including the preinstalled folders, from the web based program. Next time around, I tried moving the skydrive folder to a more secure place, where it would not be erased under any circumstances. There is no option during the install, for an alternative folder position, so I tried it manually. That was easy enough, but the sync with the Web program was lost.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    If you have installed the client- beware. This was my own experience and may not happen too everyone. I lost nothing important, as I was only using it to compare with other inerrnet hosters. Because of some private issues, I deleted the skydrive folder in my username section. It also removed the entire contents, including the preinstalled folders, from the web based program. Next time around, I tried moving the skydrive folder to a more secure place, where it would not be erased under any circumstances. There is no option during the install, for an alternative folder position, so I tried it manually. That was easy enough, but the sync with the Web program was lost.
    You can choose the location for your Skydrive folders during setup. You can also change them after installation but you'll effectively be starting from the beginning.

    If installing fresh - Choose the location during install (image)
    If changing post install - choose Settings/About/Unlink Skydrive from the tray icon (Move you files first) (image)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails install.jpg   post.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Ok. Thanks. I didnt get quite the same install pictures as yourself, but I found the option eventually. I had to sign in with my live ID and then a similar window, with the option, popped up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Save files directly to Skydrive?
Related Threads
Read more: Save your Outlook.com email attachments to OneDrive in one click - Office Blogs
IE11. Cannot save as MHT files in Browsers & Mail
Hi On my W8.1 fully updated PC, until recently I have been able to save web pages as a single file (MHT) for later reference. In the past couple of days there is no MHT option, only HTML and TXT. Obviously some setting has been changed or corrupted and I would appreciate some help on...
Hi, During Win 8 install, I declined the SkyDrive options. I have not installed the local client SkyDrive software.. I have been to the SkyDrive settings in Win8, TTBOMK, they are all OFF. When I click on a weblink to download a file, it take me to SkyDrive.! I'm baffled why it's not...
How to Save Camera Roll Photos and Videos from Windows Phone 8 to OneDrive SkyDrive is now called OneDrive instead. OneDrive is Now Available Worldwide: Free Cloud Storage for Microsoft, iOS, and Android Devices | OneDrive Blog . When you sign in with your Microsoft account on your...
Hi, I just tried downloading an exe file to the "Program Files" folder & was not able to in Win 8.1 pro. I get the attached message. I believe I was able to save files in this folder in win 7. I am the admin. Any clue why this happens? Thanks!
Solved Skydrive and pcv files in General Support
I use Mozbackup for firefox, and it creates a pcv file. The problem is I can put it in documents folder in skydrive folder, but when I need to download it from skydrive, skydrive flags it as a possible virus and stops the download. Is there a way I can set skydrive not to do this to a pcv file?....
So I recently installed Windows 8 and Office 2007 (including Excel 2007). I then decided to participate in the Office 2013 trial, so I downloaded and installed that on top of everything. It worked correctly, and I could open files normally. Then I deleted Office 2007 in an effort to save space, and...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook