Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


No connections are available?

  1. #1


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8

    No connections are available?


    I just got a store to build a custom computer for me and when I went to put it on to my internet it says that no connections are available. Im not sure if it came with a wifi adapter or card in the motherboard.

    Under device manager > Network adapters it says: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controler

    The motherboard is Gigabyte Z97-HD3.


    Help?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Welcome to the forum!

    That is the wired LAN adapter. If that is all you have then have to use a cable, no wireless.

    Did you ask for wireless in the custom build?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

    That is the wired LAN adapter. If that is all you have then have to use a cable, no wireless.

    Did you ask for wireless in the custom build?
    No I didn't but I didn't know there was some things that didn't have wifi.

    What's the easiest way to get wifi for myself? I don't have any Ethernet ports close to my room (and I would really prefer wifi over wired.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by nanobii View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

    That is the wired LAN adapter. If that is all you have then have to use a cable, no wireless.

    Did you ask for wireless in the custom build?
    No I didn't but I didn't know there was some things that didn't have wifi.

    What's the easiest way to get wifi for myself? I don't have any Ethernet ports close to my room (and I would really prefer wifi over wired.)
    Basic cards are pretty cheap but you may want something better. Do you want the latest and greatest dual-band capability or simply the highest speed single band? If you don't know what I'm talking about you can do a search or I will find a site where it is all explained.

    You'll need either a PCI or PCIe type card for your motherboard.

    PS: You could also go with a USB adapter and then would not have to open the computer and install a card if you're not comfortable with doing that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nanobii View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

    That is the wired LAN adapter. If that is all you have then have to use a cable, no wireless.

    Did you ask for wireless in the custom build?
    No I didn't but I didn't know there was some things that didn't have wifi.

    What's the easiest way to get wifi for myself? I don't have any Ethernet ports close to my room (and I would really prefer wifi over wired.)
    Basic cards are pretty cheap but you may want something better. Do you want the latest and greatest dual-band capability or simply the highest speed single band? If you don't know what I'm talking about you can do a search or I will find a site where it is all explained.

    You'll need either a PCI or PCIe type card for your motherboard.
    If you could find a site that would be awesome, ill look up some cards but im pretty sure I wont find anything till you link me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    This explains the basics but not dual-band: Learning Center,Wireless Adapters - Newegg.com

    There are USB adapters that would not have to open the case to install, just plug into USB port.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    This explains the basics but not dual-band: Learning Center,Wireless Adapters - Newegg.com

    There are USB adapters that would not have to open the case to install, just plug into USB port.
    Okay I think im good now, thanks for the help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Most welcome!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

No connections are available?
Related Threads
No connections are available in Network & Sharing
I have recently stuffed up my laptop and did a complete reset but I can't connect to the Internet like when I open up the wireless network place it says no connections are available also when I plug it into the modam it does nothing and want connect I think it may be to do with the resetting...
No connections available in Network & Sharing
On my Toshiba laptop (I've only had it since the 8th of August) under Networks it says, "No connections are available". I was playing Diablo3 and then it suddenly said not connected to battletnet. That is besides the point, but I think I might have hit something that turned the wifi off. After...
So I just got a custom built computer with Windows 8.1 installed on it, When I go to settings > Networks, It says No Connections are Available, every other device in the house has connection to our WiFi. Please help me! I really need your help, it's my birthday today.
Hi All, When I turn on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, it does not see my i-phone hotspot. Wi-Fi status says "No Wi-Fi connections available". I always have to turn the hotspot off and then back on after the laptop is up and running for the laptop to find it. This does not happen with my desktop....
Wireless connections in Network & Sharing
Hello, I'm having a problem with my windows 8. Sometimes, when I wake up my laptop from hibernation, it says there are wireless connections available (little yellow star on the network strength icon) but when I click there nothing happens, it doesn't open the side bar like it normally does,...
metered connections in Network & Sharing
Hello I read that driver installation requires this to be on and most likely one would forget to turn this on. I also read that with metered on, downloads may be interrupted and it cannot be on with Ethernet connections. I have a router and therefore use Ethernet cables from the router to the...
Where is Network Connections in Network & Sharing
I've seen many guides telling me to go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections But I see no option to go there. From anywhere. And when I type it in it just brings me to control.exe. How can I access that page?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook