Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Win 8 CP not recognizing my built in wireless adapter HELP

  1. #1


    Posts : 2
    Windows 7/Windows 8 CP dual boot

    Win 8 CP not recognizing my built in wireless adapter HELP


    Hi. I recently installed 8 as a dual boot option. Everything looks to be working quite well, except that when i go to settings-wireless, it says no wireless devices and wont recognize any wifi networks. I try to go through troubleshooting but it does not help at all, and remains unable to find any networks. Im guessing it is a driver problem, but i couldn't find and drivers to fix this. I have a Toshiba satellite L775, everything works fine in Win 7. Thanks!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Hi there.

    Toshiba should have a Windows 7 driver to install.

    If not, in device manager, right click then choose Properties. Details tab. Change dropdown to say hardware ids. Copy/paste the results here (no screenshots instead of copy/paste, please.)

    32 or 64 bit?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by olie2012 View Post
    Hi. I recently installed 8 as a dual boot option. Everything looks to be working quite well, except that when i go to settings-wireless, it says no wireless devices and wont recognize any wifi networks. I try to go through troubleshooting but it does not help at all, and remains unable to find any networks. Im guessing it is a driver problem, but i couldn't find and drivers to fix this. I have a Toshiba satellite L775, everything works fine in Win 7. Thanks!
    It seems like going to Device Manage, Action tab, add legacy hardware, Search for and install the hardware automatically would work. Or it might help to get the driver first from the Toshiba site.

    Toshiba Support - Homepage
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2
    Windows 7/Windows 8 CP dual boot


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Hi there.

    Toshiba should have a Windows 7 driver to install.

    If not, in device manager, right click then choose Properties. Details tab. Change dropdown to say hardware ids. Copy/paste the results here (no screenshots instead of copy/paste, please.)

    32 or 64 bit?
    im not sure if you mean windows 8 driver to install, but i didn't find one yet. 64 bit. When i look under network adapters in Windows 7 i find my wireless adapter installed and working properly, then in windows 8 its not there. i tried doing the automatic search but it didn't find anything and gave me an option to choose from a list of devices but mine wasn't in the list. still searching the net for an updated driver but so far no luck..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by olie2012 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Hi there.

    Toshiba should have a Windows 7 driver to install.

    If not, in device manager, right click then choose Properties. Details tab. Change dropdown to say hardware ids. Copy/paste the results here (no screenshots instead of copy/paste, please.)

    32 or 64 bit?
    im not sure if you mean windows 8 driver to install, but i didn't find one yet. 64 bit. When i look under network adapters in Windows 7 i find my wireless adapter installed and working properly, then in windows 8 its not there. i tried doing the automatic search but it didn't find anything and gave me an option to choose from a list of devices but mine wasn't in the list. still searching the net for an updated driver but so far no luck..
    Long shot but you can try this, open a command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and enter then type start devmgmt.msc and enter.

    The device manger should open, click on the view menu and select show hidden devices. Then expand the network adapters and see what's listed. Maybe the nic will show up, if it does delete all entries for it. Then right click on network adapters and select scan for new hardware.

    If that doesn't make it show up then shut down the system and unplug the power or charge cord, and remove battery if it's a lap top, and wait 5 minutes. Reinstall battery and power up again and see if the adaptor shows up now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Toshiba should have a Windows 7 driver to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by olie2012 View Post
    im not sure if you mean windows 8 driver to install
    Toshiba has a Windows 7 driver for you to install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Win 8 CP not recognizing my built in wireless adapter HELP
Related Threads
5ghz wireless adapter in Network & Sharing
I need to upgrade my laptop from its 2.4ghz only wireless adapter to a dual 2.4ghz & 5ghz wireless adapter. A quick search on ebay and i found a usb wireless adapter. can i get your opinions on this adapter is any good. Mini 300Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5GHz 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless USB Dongle...
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y500 laptop running Windows 8.1. i7, 8BG ram, 2GB Nvidia card--all that stuff. It ran perfectly for nearly a year. But now, the local area network is broken. I haven't done anything different or changed anything that would affect it, as far as I know. But now that it's...
wireless adapter in Network & Sharing
which wireless adapter is cheap and compatible to use on a windows 8 desktop? i have recently purchased a new windows 8 desktop but as i don't know much about desktops i thought they had built in wireless like a laptop, my computer is in my bedroom and my modem is downstairs, this is why i need...
wireless adapter in Network & Sharing
Anyone having problems connecting wireless? I have a Netgear WNA 1100 wireless adapter and when I use the push n play feature to link my router & computer it crashes my machine with a irq error.
My Wireless Adapter Is Not Working in Drivers & Hardware
I just recently purchased a new Windows 8 PC that does not have a built in wi-fi adapter. I have a Zyxel G-220v3 wireless adapter that does not seem to want to work in my new PC (I know it is at least 4 years old.) When I plug it into the USB port in the front of the PC, nothing happens. When I...
Hello, I just upgraded to windows 8 from vista, and I am having major problems ´connecting a wireless adapter so I can get to the internet. This is what I tried: First, I tried the adapter I was using with Vista-Netgear WNA1100. I installed using compatibility settings to Win XP...
Do you have a wireless adapter that works with the Win 8 pro RTM? I've tried ASUS USB N13 and Rosewill RNX-N150 with no success. :cry:
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook