Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Asus N550J Limited Wifi Problem

  1. #1


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1

    Asus N550J Limited Wifi Problem


    Hi guys as the title says I am having a lot of trouble. I can connect to the internet for about 30mins no problem then out of the blue all of the sudden where my connection is a yellow triangle saying limited connection. The Router I'm running is about oh 4-5 years old mac airport extreme. I have tried everything from changing my power settings to entering commands in the commands promt. I have only had this computer for a week and spent over $1,100 and the experience has been horrible. Anyone have any suggestions?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    4-5 year old router, that would be your issue. Router is starting to fail.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    4-5 year old router, that would be your issue. Router is starting to fail.
    Actually anything can connect just fine except for pc with windows 8 which my friend is also running one and having the same problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1


    bump
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Go get a new router. Your router is broke, so go buy a new one. They only have a finite life.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Go get a new router. Your router is broke, so go buy a new one. They only have a finite life.
    As I said before everything connects fine except for this computer. I don't have a 200+ dollars to throw away for a new router for one computer. Look I got this as a gift if all possible I would like to get this problem fixed with my current router.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by AsusGamer789 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Go get a new router. Your router is broke, so go buy a new one. They only have a finite life.
    As I said before everything connects fine except for this computer. I don't have a 200+ dollars to throw away for a new router for one computer. Look I got this as a gift if all possible I would like to get this problem fixed with my current router.
    You cannot, due to your router is failing. If you have an Apple Store near you. You can take it there, and they will either tell you the same thing, reflash the router with a previous firmware, to see if that fixes the problem. Or just offer you some info on a replacement.

    As I stated before. Depending on the Network chipset and driver software for that network device. Some failing routers will connect, others will fail to connect. In other words, get a new router. They also do not cost $200. You can get a decent one for $30.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    If you can restart your computer in SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKING then use your computer as you normally would, and if it seems to work with no problems, then you may have a bad driver or malware trying to hijack your network.
    If it continues to have problems then its most likely a hardware issue, either your wireless card or your router, the quick and cheap way to figure which is bad, is to either buy a $15 wireless usb wifi thumb drive, or a $30 wireless router and see which one fixes your issue. Lets start with that and go from there. Everything else takes much more time and can be frustrating.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn567 View Post
    If you can restart your computer in SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKING then use your computer as you normally would, and if it seems to work with no problems, then you may have a bad driver or malware trying to hijack your network.
    If it continues to have problems then its most likely a hardware issue, either your wireless card or your router, the quick and cheap way to figure which is bad, is to either buy a $15 wireless usb wifi thumb drive, or a $30 wireless router and see which one fixes your issue. Lets start with that and go from there. Everything else takes much more time and can be frustrating.
    Actually the closer I get to my router the better it works in fact i have been having the issue mostly when i'm trying to download something like a game, or a music file I talked to a friend who is an IT and he thinks it's a issue with the router's signal as well. Which has never had a firmware update ever.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    First update the firmware on your router. As for distance from it. If you are outdoors at say 100'. Yes you could have issues. Indoors, it is about placement of the router or Access Point. Get it high enough without stuff being in the way. You should be able to have good/decent signal up to 50' away from it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Asus N550J Limited Wifi Problem
Related Threads
For the past few months, my Lenovo G505 computer (running windows 8.1) has been telling me that its wifi connection is "limited". It used to work well on the wifi (same router) and I have restarted the router several times, but to no prevail. The wifi problem is only for my two private wifi...
Good day! my laptop (2weeks old) running windows 8.1 is connected to our home wifi, but is limited. All other devices connected can use the internet but i cant. I tried updating drivers but it still shows limited. Please urgent help.
Built in wifi go limited randomly in Network & Sharing
I have tried everything. Resetting the drivers, using manufacturer drivers, turning off the turn off to save power option, resetting the internet, and setting the router to N only. This is REALLY annoying and I can't use the internet without a cable. Please help!
I recently moved to a new apartment where I share an internet connection. Since I got here, I've been having repeated 'limited connectivity' errors on my WiFi connection. Whenever I get these errors, the troubleshooter 'fixes' the problem after resetting the adapter, but it continually comes back...
Hi to all, got a problem for some time and can't find a solution... I think everybody knows about the problem with windows 8.1 at laptops with the limited ethernet (wifi), so I have the same problem on my PC and I cant find a cure... Someone, any advices? Coz of this I cant loggin to my...
limited wifi in Network & Sharing
hello(first Thread) i am sharing an internet connection with one of my friends sometimes. and my problem is this:every time i try to log on this wifi network,it says limited,my friend do not have this issue because he is not on wifi but directly from router. my laptop can not run with a wire....
HELP limited Wifi in Network & Sharing
I did some of the elevated command prompts to rid of my limited access in wifi but nothing worked! Please help!!!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook