Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


W8.1 File Sharing with Group Permissions and MsftAcct

  1. #11


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 update 1


    I have the same issue and can relate to the frustration with 8.1 and shares. I do believe linking an MS account does break aspects of sharing. I have similar issues and have tested on several machines with fresh installs. Like the op I too have not tweaked any settings. I did create a post on my issues as well and I bet what ever solution is found will solve this problem and mine.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Still messing with group permissions, you have broken the OS. The only way to fix, is to reinstall it. All you need to do to create local accounts, is create them after you create the initial Live account. Then once you get done creating the accounts, log into them, so the OS can build the profile.

    You do need Pro version of Windows 8.1.x, so that you can change permissions of those personal folders, you do not want certain users to have access to.

    Going into the Policy and making one up, or editing the pre-existing GPO, will break the OS. Which will not achieve anything for you.

    Personally I would keep everyone's personal files on their own personal file share on a NAS. Then just change the location of their My Documents folder to the mapped Network folder location. You do not have to go into Command, or any other way to do this. It can all be done from the gui interface.
    Hrm, the OS is not broken, and just to ensure that I reinstalled 8.1 on a laptop and still the same issue. I know how to create localaccount and all that other jazz. This does not involve editing group policies either, it is basic password based sharing. I am using W8.1 Pro, just to be clear, this works just fine on windows 7, 8, and as I noted works just fine on 8.1 if you do not link the local account to a MS Account. As for the rational of this. I have a number of users and do not want to give each user permission to new shares everytime one is added; groups are made just for this.

    Quote Originally Posted by tabascojoe View Post
    I have the same issue and can relate to the frustration with 8.1 and shares. I do believe linking an MS account does break aspects of sharing. I have similar issues and have tested on several machines with fresh installs. Like the op I too have not tweaked any settings. I did create a post on my issues as well and I bet what ever solution is found will solve this problem and mine.
    Good to hear that I am not the only one with this issue, care to post a link to your post for the sake edification.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 update 1


    Anonymous Access to a Share on 8.1

    I think the issue is the Everyone account does not recognize MS accounts, or really any local group does not recognize the MS accounts.

    I think to Windows the MS account looks like its coming from another domain.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by tabascojoe View Post
    Anonymous Access to a Share on 8.1

    I think the issue is the Everyone account does not recognize MS accounts, or really any local group does not recognize the MS accounts.

    I think to Windows the MS account looks like its coming from another domain.
    Actually "Everyone" works fine for me, users are able to browse the files, but the groups are being ignored once an included user is tied to the MS Account. The difference might be that I'm using a password based setup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by tabascojoe View Post
    I have the same issue and can relate to the frustration with 8.1 and shares. I do believe linking an MS account does break aspects of sharing. I have similar issues and have tested on several machines with fresh installs. Like the op I too have not tweaked any settings. I did create a post on my issues as well and I bet what ever solution is found will solve this problem and mine.
    Incorrect. It has no effect on file or folder sharing. All the live account does, is create a "Roaming" profile. Everything else still works the same as it did with XP, Vista, Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Quote Originally Posted by eldonmcguinness View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tabascojoe View Post
    Anonymous Access to a Share on 8.1

    I think the issue is the Everyone account does not recognize MS accounts, or really any local group does not recognize the MS accounts.

    I think to Windows the MS account looks like its coming from another domain.
    Actually "Everyone" works fine for me, users are able to browse the files, but the groups are being ignored once an included user is tied to the MS Account. The difference might be that I'm using a password based setup.
    That is because you borked the OS, by playing around with the policy settings.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1


    I have to ask broe23, are you even reading my posts? I just said I reinstalled the laptop and STILL the issue persists. Did not touch any Group Policies, and never touched them in the past.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 update 1


    Quote Originally Posted by eldonmcguinness View Post
    I have to ask broe23, are you even reading my posts? I just said I reinstalled the laptop and STILL the issue persists. Did not touch any Group Policies, and never touched them in the past.
    Good stuff, he posted some bs that had nothing to do with my issue as well. I am literately trying everything under the sun. I did find this, but I believe its only for XP... Everyone group does not include anonymous security identifier . If I run out of ideas I will give this a try.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 16
    Windows 8.1


    @tabascojoe, I have noticed another oddity with Microsoft Accounts; I use a program called Rohos Logon Key that will not do remote desktop connections unless I specify the user as "MICROSOFTACCOUNT\USERNAME@Outlook.com". However, if I try to login locally I have to use just "USERNAME", if I try to use the full "MICROSOFTACCOUNT\USERNAME@Outlook.com" it does not work.

    Seems like this whole MICROSOFTACCOUNT domain/workgroup might be the root of the issue here too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 update 1


    Enable auditing in the local GPO and you can see how the shares are accessed...
    Auditing File Access on File Servers - Premier Field Engineering - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

    It should tell you how the share is being accessed. Hope it helps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
W8.1 File Sharing with Group Permissions and MsftAcct
Related Threads
Yesterday I removed Windows 7 & did a clear install of Windows 8.1 x64. Now whenever I try to save a file on different partition like D,E, etc I get the dialog box that I do not have permissions to save the file to this location even though I am clearly the administrator & I have disabled UAC. All...
Hi, I have two networked PCs. On PC1, I have a program file (.exe) that I want PC2 to be able to access, open and use, but not copy or move from it's location. What would be the best permission settings to adjust on PC1 to protect the file? Thx.
I'm having trouble with the environment configuration on my new Win8 machine, I don't remember running into problems like this on 7, but I can't seem to find much useful online.. I have 4 dll files that need to go into the Windows\System32 folder in order for one of our applications to run. This...
Sharing Permissions in Network & Sharing
If have a few drives and folders shared through my home network and i have some issues with passwords. When i access my shares from another pc, it will not ask for a password even though i shared it with the standard sharing i i left the homegroup. I also deleted the "everyone" permission from the...
File Permissions and Read Only in Network & Sharing
Two user accounts, both administrator level. I have a file in my documents that my wife's account can READ but cannot SAVE. I've gone in through User Accounts and given her account full permissions (full control with all the boxes checked), but it always reverts back to her not being able to save...
Hello. Two questions I'm seeking help with. Relatively minor, but I'd like to learn how this stuff works, so... I have two near-identical Dell PCs, freshly upgraded with SSDs and Win8 Pro. I have a habit of saving a text file in C:\ root to log basic install info. For some reason, on one...
File permissions issues in General Support
For whatever reason, the default account reports that it is an admin account, but it doesn't always act like it. I have 3 SATA drives, each partitioned in 2 (all NTFS), C/D, E/F and G/H. C had Windows 7 installed on it and it was running fine. I tried the CP in Virtualbox when it was released...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook