Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Wi-Fi connectivity issues: "Can't connect to network"

  1. #1


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1

    Wi-Fi connectivity issues: "Can't connect to network"


    Good evening, everyone. Some basic info:

    New HP Pavilion 14 Touch w/ Windows 8.1. (purchased directly from HP)
    Intel Core i5 1.7GHz/2.4GHz, 64-bit
    Broadcom 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi adapter
    Wireless Router: Arris TG862G Router.


    My laptop was able to connect to my home router in the initial setup of the computer, but within about 1-2 hours I was disconnected entirely. A day passed and I was able to reconnect, but at noticeably slower internet speed. This lasted for about a day until, once again, it disconnected entirely this evening. Any attempt to reconnect is met with, "Can't connect to network".

    After a lengthy search online (through a laptop running Windows 7 w/no connectivity problems whatsoever), I quickly realized that this appears to be a MAJOR issue with scores of Windows 8.1 users. I have tried many of the tutorials and quick-fixes commonly posted, but to no avail. I apologize in advance if this issue has been covered ad-nauseam, but I am at my wit's end and I need some serious expertise.

    Can anyone please assist me? Thank you for your patience and help! I am very much obliged.

    - Joshua

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 216
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    I wouldn't assume it is Windows 8. Many manufactured systems come with drivers that are already outdated. I would visit the HP support site and make sure your Network Driver is the latest release. Of course, check all the other drivers while you are there.

    I would also check if your connection type is different. Does the Windows 7 system use 'g' and the Windows 8 use 'n'. Also, check the channels you are using for each system. Check your router to see if it is on 6 or 11 or whatever. Although it would affect both systems, switching to a another channel can help if there is inference or other neighbors all using the same channel.

    After you are sure about the system connecting exactly the same, I would contact HP support.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1


    I updated my driver using the drivers manager on my PC, but it's still unable to connect to my router. What confuses me is why was it able to connect initially, but then drop the connection, pick it up again ... and then disconnect entirely once more?

    With regard to the router settings, would it be at all possible to assist me with more detailed instructions? I've never had WiFi problems and I'm rather unfamiliar with the suggestions you recommend. Your patience is very much appreciated, sir!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    Curious who your ISP is and have you asked them about proper settings? Is it a router they provided?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Curious who your ISP is and have you asked them about proper settings? Is it a router they provided?
    I'm running high speed internet through Time Warner Cable. Would it be something worth pursuing to take my laptop and router to the nearest office and have them troubleshoot it for me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    That might actually be the best thing. They may have experience getting it to work with 8.1. There may also be a firmware update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 216
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmith3 View Post
    I updated my driver using the drivers manager on my PC, but it's still unable to connect to my router. What confuses me is why was it able to connect initially, but then drop the connection, pick it up again ... and then disconnect entirely once more?

    With regard to the router settings, would it be at all possible to assist me with more detailed instructions? I've never had WiFi problems and I'm rather unfamiliar with the suggestions you recommend. Your patience is very much appreciated, sir!
    Just saw your question. Can you give me the exact model number of your router? Here's the link to Time Warner's support page. Just click on Wireless Routers and you will see all the manuals there. You should see yours.

    If you can't figure it out with the manuals, post back here with your router model.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    United States
    Posts : 3,093
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    OldGuyGeek, it's in the OP, Arris TG862G Router
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 216
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Thanks, missed it.

    I did make an assumption that you are Wirelessly connected. Does you system have a physical cable connection and can you connect up to the router? Then, to access the router configuration, the IP address would be 192.168.0.1. That should bring up the login to the router.

    Once in there, you can check the wireless setup to see if your wireless settings are correct. Especially if the new system is trying to use 'n' instead of 'g'. A router can support both at the same time, but you need different credentials to authenticate to each. For example, older wireless printers that do no have 'n', connect through 'g' using a different password than the 'g'. But the router can be setup for exclusively 'n' or 'g' and the other will never connect. It has to be in 'compatible' or legacy mode.

    Here's the manual. See page 26.

    http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...tandard1-3.pdf
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuyGeek View Post
    Thanks, missed it.

    I did make an assumption that you are Wirelessly connected. Does you system have a physical cable connection and can you connect up to the router? Then, to access the router configuration, the IP address would be 192.168.0.1. That should bring up the login to the router.

    Once in there, you can check the wireless setup to see if your wireless settings are correct. Especially if the new system is trying to use 'n' instead of 'g'. A router can support both at the same time, but you need different credentials to authenticate to each. For example, older wireless printers that do no have 'n', connect through 'g' using a different password than the 'g'. But the router can be setup for exclusively 'n' or 'g' and the other will never connect. It has to be in 'compatible' or legacy mode.

    Here's the manual. See page 26.

    http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...tandard1-3.pdf
    Thank you very much for your help, sir. My computer was able to connect for about a day, but it's now showing "Can't connect to network" once again.

    After looking at the router info through the IP address link, I see that the wireless mode is set to "B/G/N mixed". It is a WPA2-PSK with AES encryption. I read elsewhere that changing the encryption to TKIP has solved some connection problems. Should I attempt this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wi-Fi connectivity issues: "Can't connect to network"
Related Threads
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
I been having issues with my Ativ Tab 3 so I shipped it back to Samsung to fix it. Before I shipped it, It always played the sound that indicated that a bluetooth device was connected. After receiving it, I noticed it had fresh copy of Windows 8 pro on it with drivers, etc. So I updated it to 8.1...
After entering a valid retail key into the installer located here I get the following error: 43378 I have tried running the installer on another computer with the same results. I have also tried the netsh command and deleting the Panther folder. The problem arised after doing the trick to...
Hi guys, as the title suggests I am unable to download Windows 8 media via the provided Microsoft setup. I have contacted Microsoft on multiple occasions with multiple agents connecting to my computer via a remote connection and have been unable to fix the problem. They had the cheek to offer me a...
Each time I try the Windows 8 upgrade assistant I get the following error: "We can't connect right now...Check your Internet connection and try again". Apparently, a number of people are having this issue Steps to try and solve: Disabled AV and Firewall both software and the router firewall....
When i start my computer i get that error in the bottom left,i used hijackthis and this is the report: Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4 Scan saved at 10:23:07, on 27/07/2013 Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.02.1008) MSIE: Internet Explorer v10.0 (10.00.9200.16537) Boot mode: Normal...
"Can't connect to this Network" in Network & Sharing
Hi, I bought an Asus G75vw couple days back with windows 8. Everything was working fine except that i couldn't connect to my wireless router. It had a WEP encryption. After I entered the Network Security key, I Kept on getting "Can't connect to this network", troubleshooting didnt help either....
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook