Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


2 routers - wrong one is "master"

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by rockyp View Post
    R1 is a Qwest Actiontec Q1000 modem/router combo device. R2 is a D-Link DIR-655.

    I do have a variety of other routers. Maybe if I removed the D-Link and put another one in there, the network would reconfigure itself to meet my desires...? Worth a try.
    Ridiculous to think you would need DD-WRT just to use the DIR-655 as an A/P, I have the same router as my gateway, best router you can purchase IMO this router is legendary. There are no issues using it as an A/P, NONE!

    There is absolutely no need to install anything but the default firmware on this router. It can be used as an A/P but it should be used as the gateway router for it's superior networking capabilities. Maybe it's best to hear advice from someone who actually owns this router?

    The problem here is as I already said and it's very simple, the combo unit modem/router needs to have it's DHCP turned off.

    You are using one of those cheap ISP issued combo units modem/router so you need to TURN OFF it's DHCP capability by setting it into BRIDGE MODE which bypasses the DHCP router of the combo device. I wonder how many times I need to repeat this.

    After that the first router will handle the DHCP provided that you turned off DHCP on the 655 which will work perfectly as an access point.

    No reason to complicate this although you would be far better served using a standard modem rather than a combo unit.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 6
    8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    The problem here is as I already said and it's very simple, the combo unit modem/router needs to have it's DHCP turned off.

    You are using one of those cheap ISP issued combo units modem/router so you need to TURN OFF it's DHCP capability by setting it into BRIDGE MODE which bypasses the DHCP router of the combo device. I wonder how many times I need to repeat this.
    I think it's sinking in, chev!

    I'm working on the whole network now, trying to implement some long-wanted improvements. I'll report back with my success stories! (Or otherwise... ) Thanks again for all the help here!!

    Rocky
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by rockyp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    The problem here is as I already said and it's very simple, the combo unit modem/router needs to have it's DHCP turned off.

    You are using one of those cheap ISP issued combo units modem/router so you need to TURN OFF it's DHCP capability by setting it into BRIDGE MODE which bypasses the DHCP router of the combo device. I wonder how many times I need to repeat this.
    I think it's sinking in, chev!

    I'm working on the whole network now, trying to implement some long-wanted improvements. I'll report back with my success stories! (Or otherwise... ) Thanks again for all the help here!!

    Rocky
    Well the easy way would be to ditch the modem/router combo unit which are notorious problem creators for any reliable network.

    But if you use the combo unit then you should see a bridge mode there in the settings someplace which needs to be enabled, this skips DHCP and allows your router to handle it.

    The 655 will work fine as an A/P provided that DHCP is turned off and the LAN port is plugged into the LAN port on the first router, LAN to LAN. You can still use the other LAN ports on both routers for other devices.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Chev, most ADSL2+ & VDSL2+ providers. You cannot get away but using their Gateway. You also cannot disable DHCP. Only thing you can do is place a third party router in DMZ Plus mode.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 6
    8.1


    This Actiontec from Century Link does allow disabling DHCP, and of course, I can turn off wireless... I'm not crazy about Century Link, but it's what I have, for now... It is adequate.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by rockyp View Post
    This Actiontec from Century Link does allow disabling DHCP, and of course, I can turn off wireless... I'm not crazy about Century Link, but it's what I have, for now... It is adequate.
    There are no hard set rules here and I have no idea the capability's of every ISP issued modem/router. There are a million different versions of these!

    It's certain that you can in fact DISABLE DHCP on many of these units by placing it in bridge mode, this is fact not fiction OK,. How do I know this? Because I've helped solve this same problem literally hundreds of times, and the vast majority of times you can in fact disable DHCP by placing the unit into bride mode....

    Then I went on to add you should GET RID OF THE ISP ISSUED unit "I have already mentioned this" !! because you can't hope to set up a proper network using one of those.

    It's simple, if you can't access this unit to turn off DHCP then you will need to purchase a stand alone modem, and tell your ISP TO SHOVE THE MODEM/ROUTER WHERE THEY CAN'T FIND IT...period!

    So you see the ISP issued hardware, IS NOT ADAQUATE for this.

    I'm trying to think of a way I can make this any more clear to everyone?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Chev65, the OP cannot get rid of the ISP Gateway. They have to use it with Century Link. Century Link is doing the same thing as ATT does with their U-Verse service. Century Link is a IPTV provider and users have no choice but to use the equipment that only Century Link provides.

    There is no way that the OP can place the unit into Bridge mode. Their only choice is to place a third party router into the Gateway's DMZ Plus Zone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
2 routers - wrong one is "master"
Related Threads
Hello My Brand new Laptop: Lenovo g505 after upgrading it to windows 8.1 from MS Apps store now i am not able to connect to internet i get "limited" or "No Internet Access". i have tried to re install the driver no luck Lenovo support suggests to do factory rest but i dont want to go back...
Okay, so apparently my "Programmer" folder on C:\ changed to "Program Files". I live in Denmark, so the system is danish. The folder "Program Files" used to be named "Programmer", but somehow it changed to "Program files". It is weird, becuase that my other x86 folder is still named "Programmer...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi guys, as most of you will be aware with the show desktop feature in the windows, which in the system tray on bottom right of your screen. I need a tweak or registry edit to make it do "Win + M" Minimize all Windows, instead of "Win + D" show desktop. Reason is it hides my gadgets and...
Hello, Following the forum guidelines I am posting a compressed file from your SF Diagnostic tool. This was done shortly after a BSOD. Thanks for your support in helping me understand what is the cause of those frequent BSOD. Joce
As the title states, I was wondering how I would do that? Because I really want to add a custom ".tga" 'close' button to my windows theme. I am using WindowBlinds: (link) - Skin the Windows desktop interface with WindowBlinds WindowBlinds let's me edit and make my own theme by using their own...
So got windows 8 Dev installed so far so good, I thought I would like the left screen bump to go to last app or program used feature till I installed some games and tried to play them suddenly my left side of my screen is no good if needing to scroll to the side say in a game like Starcraft II,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook