Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 resets my DNS settings to auto

  1. #1

    Windows 8.1 resets my DNS settings to auto


    I don't want to use the DNS servers of my ISP and I don't know how many times I changed over to third party DNS
    servers now.

    But 2 weeks later when it occurs to me to check, they are almost always back to Auto, i.e. the ISPs.

    Why does this happen and how can I prevent it?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    England, Northamptonshire
    Posts : 536
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard


    Are the changes made on the local machine or at the router level? If you can I would change the DNS servers handed out by your router. If you configure a full static IP address on to your client device it will only use the DNS servers that you specify.

    Choice is yours,
    Josh
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Josh, Thanks for the response. The changes are in Windows.
    I didn't realise that it can be changed at the router.
    I have a horribly locked down router provided by my awful ISP.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they are at fault.
    I'll research to see if they DNS can be changed on that. At a quick glance I found nothing.

    Edit --- yes of course, it had to be!
    Re: Why can't I change the DNS settings on my Superhub?
    on ‎14-08-2013 19:58
    Do a search and you will find similar complaints on both BT and Sky's support forums. It is not just VM.
    Ravenstar68
    These large ISPs are so evil. The UK internet is full of complaits about VM, BT and Sky.

    But I really do need to add these DNS settings. Most routers have this functionality so I can't understand why the super hub 2 doesn't.
    How else can I get around this and use DNS? I don't want to manually add the settings on each computer as they're easily removed. I need to add it in router since only I know the passcodes to get into it.
    Etc, etc

    There seems to be something called DHCP causing this nuisance, plus the router being relatively locked down.

    So I will now figure out if I can write a batch script that sets the DNS to the servers I want to use, rather than the default from the ISP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    8.x.x has a terrible habit of resetting the Network adapters. You probably would be best to use a third party router behind the ISP gateway. That way you can use your own DNS info.

    This should be the registry where the DNS IP info should be located. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\DNS Server\Zones http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd197418(v%3Dws.10).aspx Even though it states for Server 2008, it should be the same with Windows 8.x.x.

    This explains what has changed with the Win 8.x.x DNS client. What's New in DNS Client in Windows 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    8.x.x has a terrible habit of resetting the Network adapters. You probably would be best to use a third party router behind the ISP gateway. That way you can use your own DNS info.

    This should be the registry where the DNS IP info should be located. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\DNS Server\Zones http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd197418(v%3Dws.10).aspx Even though it states for Server 2008, it should be the same with Windows 8.x.x.

    This explains what has changed with the Win 8.x.x DNS client. What's New in DNS Client in Windows 8.1
    Big thanks for this helpful response!
    I donät have a DNS Server dir where this Reg reference says it should be.... Guessing it's somewhere else for Win 8...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    If anyone knows a script that I could drop into my Startup folder to reset DNS to my preferred servers I would be super grateful!
    Something where I could just edit the server.... 1
    too tired.... later
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    There is no script to place in your startup folder. Refuse to read the information given. This is going nowhere.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    England, Northamptonshire
    Posts : 536
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard


    Quote Originally Posted by martienne View Post
    If anyone knows a script that I could drop into my Startup folder to reset DNS to my preferred servers I would be super grateful!
    Something where I could just edit the server.... 1
    too tired.... later
    Code:
    @echo off
    netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver "{InterfaceName}" address="{DNSAddress}" index=1
    Replace the Interface name with the interface that you want to configure. To find out the relevant names use the following command in command prompt:

    netsh interface show interface

    Also, replace the DNS address part with the IP address of the server you want to use. Note that this address will only apply to the first DNS server listed. If you want a second one then let me know and I'll tweak the small script.

    Do you have Windows 8 pro or just the standard one?

    To compile the script, copy it into a notepad file and save it as a batch file.

    Hope This Helps,
    Josh
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    The DNS settings should not be changing on their own, usually a third party VPN like Hamachi is involved when this problem occurs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martienne View Post
    If anyone knows a script that I could drop into my Startup folder to reset DNS to my preferred servers I would be super grateful!
    Something where I could just edit the server.... 1
    too tired.... later
    Code:
    @echo off
    netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver "{InterfaceName}" address="{DNSAddress}" index=1
    Replace the Interface name with the interface that you want to configure. To find out the relevant names use the following command in command prompt:

    netsh interface show interface

    Also, replace the DNS address part with the IP address of the server you want to use. Note that this address will only apply to the first DNS server listed. If you want a second one then let me know and I'll tweak the small script.

    Do you have Windows 8 pro or just the standard one?

    To compile the script, copy it into a notepad file and save it as a batch file.

    Hope This Helps,
    Josh

    It works beautifully!

    But please could you tweak it to add the secondary DNS too?
    I have Windows 8.1 Enterprise N - I think that's like Pro.

    However - I need to run the script in Admin mode! How can I ensure this, or could the script be forced into Admin?

    This is a nuisance - lots of people are affected by the problem with Windows just dropping the DNS for no apparent reason. The script would be super popular.

    I want to use the same DNS servers whether I'm surfing unprotected, with proxy or via VPN. But Win 8.1 doesn't respect that, but keeps resetting my DNS to automatic, i.e. my lame ISPs censored DNS server.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Windows 8.1 resets my DNS settings to auto
Related Threads
Mouse Resets On Reboot in Drivers & Hardware
Every single time I reboot my system my mouse fails to register in the system. I have to physically unplug it and plug it back in for Windows 8.1 to register it. Once I do that I have literally no issues at all..... Does anyone know how to fix this so it doesn't happen every single time I reboot?...
Hello, I am using a USB headset with a microphone (Logitech G35). As the title suggests, my microphone levels are too high. My microphone picks up almost everything, especially keyboard- and mouseclicks which people have complained about. Whenever I try to adjust the microphone levels to...
Windows 8 resets Main Account in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have an issue with my Windows 8. It removes anything I have saved from my desktop, leaves my main folders blank and it also resets all of the programs I have on my account. The files do seem to be safe from within the computer/Local Disk ( C : ) /users folder and I do not have separate accounts...
So I'm rolling along the internet and I start noticing that the wifi bars in the lower corner have gone down to 4. My internet is running slower and when I log on and play online games, the local server which gave me a 50 ping is now jumped up to about 300-800 easily... So I run trouble shooter...
hello, some advice/help please. client with advent DT2412 failed motherboard. old motherboard MSI B75M A-P45 (discontinued). replaced with Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Socket 1155 M-ATX Motherboard. client confirms no backup and insisting that I we try not to lose data. Managed to get the...
I just built my own computer a week ago and I am having horrendous problems with it. I had to do a fresh install of Windows 8 just yesterday. All I have done is updated the drivers for my motherboard and graphics card. Do I need the SATA RAID/AHCI drivers? Last time installing those drivers caused...
Hello, I use Windows 8 Pro and I have very strange problem. I enabled display hidden and system files, but system auto-disable its... I make it about three times, always with the same result. I don't know what causes this problem, I can't reproduce its (it isn't after reboot). Also I have...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook