Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Fresh Install of 8.1, ethernet cable unplugged?

  1. #1


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 64bit

    Fresh Install of 8.1, ethernet cable unplugged?


    Hey guys, I had a hard drive crash the other week and I got a new one and went on and upgraded to windows 8.1 64bit. Well I had a hard time getting it to work correctly but now it seems to start up fine with no BSOD.

    My problem I'm having now, is that my internet will not work on it, unless I plug in a wireless for it.

    My mobo is rather old, (msi k9a2 platinum) and it uses a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller on it. I first tried to go and upgrade the drivers. It said I had the newest. Though upon reading online I see that they have upgraded the driver for the Realtek to the 8.26.218.2014 driver on 2/18/2014. Well I uninstall my old driver, restart the computer then install the new one from the Realtek website. Then do a restart and still nothing.

    It looks like the router is getting pinged or something as it will start flashing in the bottom right with the triangle with the ! in it, about three times then go back to the x in the red circle. In the device Manager the realtek pcie gbe family controller doesn't have the yellow triangle with the ! in it showing that something is wrong. But it's not even reading the ethernet cable is plugged in. I tried detecting the problem and that is all it says is to plug the cable in.

    I restarted the computer again and noticed that the number showed up on my router that the computer was connected. When the computer was starting windows with the blue windows logo with the balls circling at the bottom, about half way through the router dropped the number and it doesn't come back up after I unlock the computer.

    So I followed the sticky and got the cmd prompt and this is what it is showing... I have no clue what is going on. Can someone please help me!

    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    Cannot tell anything from that thumbnail. First off. When you go into the router, does the Network adapter MAC ID show up in the Router ARP table? Have you made sure that you are using a known good Ethernet cable? Are you connecting directly to the router, or from quite a few feet away (ie 25').

    Onboard NIC's can go bad. I would try a new NIC. You can get them at Newegg.com for under $10, for the Rosewill cards, which are good cards.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    Cannot tell anything from that thumbnail. First off. When you go into the router, does the Network adapter MAC ID show up in the Router ARP table? Have you made sure that you are using a known good Ethernet cable? Are you connecting directly to the router, or from quite a few feet away (ie 25').

    Onboard NIC's can go bad. I would try a new NIC. You can get them at Newegg.com for under $10, for the Rosewill cards, which are good cards.
    first off, "When you go into the router, does the Network adapter MAC ID show up in the Router ARP table?", I have no clue what this means.

    The cable is good, like I said it was working before windows 8 was installed. It is still working while windows is loading, but as soon as it loads it drops as I stated in the original post.

    The cable is less than 5 foot long.

    Don't know why installing windows 8 would cause the card to go bad when it loads but not during the start up of the computer? That just doesn't make any sense to me at least.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    I mean by what I stated. When you log into the router, does it show in the DHCP devices, which is the ARP table, that the router even sees the MAC ID of the Ethernet NIC.

    As for the cable being good. I have had good cables go bad. Only way to find out, is to use a cable tester to check.

    As for installing Windows 8. Yes it has been known to break hardware. If the system works fine with Linux or Windows 7. Leave 8 on the shelf. There is a lot of hardware out there, that will not work with Windows 8.x period.

    I abandoned 8.1 all together and went with Xubuntu on my personal laptop. I still run Windows 7 in a Virtual Box (Virtual Machine/VM), as needed. When you see the writing on the wall, that hardware mfg's and MS are not working together. You have to find a middle point. For you, it may end up being Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    I mean by what I stated. When you log into the router, does it show in the DHCP devices, which is the ARP table, that the router even sees the MAC ID of the Ethernet NIC.

    As for the cable being good. I have had good cables go bad. Only way to find out, is to use a cable tester to check.

    As for installing Windows 8. Yes it has been known to break hardware. If the system works fine with Linux or Windows 7. Leave 8 on the shelf. There is a lot of hardware out there, that will not work with Windows 8.x period.

    I abandoned 8.1 all together and went with Xubuntu on my personal laptop. I still run Windows 7 in a Virtual Box (Virtual Machine/VM), as needed. When you see the writing on the wall, that hardware mfg's and MS are not working together. You have to find a middle point. For you, it may end up being Windows 7.
    I'm not router savvy I guess, I'll have to look up how to log into it etc. The tech for the provider installed it for me so I have no clue about that.

    I tried 3 different cables and they are all doing the same thing so I'm guessing it's something either with the hardware or settings from windows 8.

    I would have stuck with windows 7 but for the fact I was using a school account to get the thing back a couple years ago and the activation code was tide into my registration at said school. Once I graduated the code didn't work anymore.... though the product worked fine. I went to reinstall it on the ssd and it wouldn't activate so I just upgraded to 8.1... I see that was a big mistake now.

    I guess I can try one of those NIC, do you have one that you recommend? I mean don't know really what I'm looking for, and it seems that almost all the cards have the same specs on them... but look different so I don't know what the difference is. I have noticed that some specifically state "Is compatible with windows 8" so I guess this much be a common problem where W8 is concerned.

    So is there a specific card you would recommend and what type slot card would you recommend? such as PCI or PCI express etc etc.

    thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Uninstall (Not disable) your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Then download and install this original one. I, and many other users, have had the same problem since Windows 7. This one is from 2010 and solves the problem for me, and most of my clients. I will be removing it from the server after about a week, so best download it and then decide if you want to give it a go.

    R292450.exe - FileFactory
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    Uninstall (Not disable) your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Then download and install this original one. I, and many other users, have had the same problem since Windows 7. This one is from 2010 and solves the problem for me, and most of my clients. I will be removing it from the server after about a week, so best download it and then decide if you want to give it a go.

    R292450.exe - FileFactory
    is this just an old driver for the realtek?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Yep. But, as I say, it works. The latest defaulted drivers in Windows seem to give problems.
    If you have any problems, you can always just update and get back to the one you have just uninstalled.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    Yep. But, as I say, it works. The latest defaulted drivers in Windows seem to give problems.
    If you have any problems, you can always just update and get back to the one you have just uninstalled.
    thanks ! I'll give it a try when I get home today.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 18
    Windows 8.1 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    Yep. But, as I say, it works. The latest defaulted drivers in Windows seem to give problems.
    If you have any problems, you can always just update and get back to the one you have just uninstalled.
    Well I gave it a try and it is still doing the same thing unfortunately, but thanks anyway davehc! @broe23, did you have any sudjestions when it comes to the NIC? what socket to use etc etc etc?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Fresh Install of 8.1, ethernet cable unplugged?
Related Threads
I'm not much of a VM expert. I have a couple of win7 systems running a WinXP VM that I installed manually, in all those cases, the virtual network has always just booted up and worked. Under Win8 Pro-RTM, I did a XP VM that I loaded myself (versus an XP mode) and it loads the virtual network...
I got home and turned on pc, got message that windows is finishing update and once i got to desktop, none of my usb devices worked, and even my internet disconnected. Restarting does nothing, and theres only so little i can do since keyboard and mouse are not working.
Won't detect the ethernet cable. in Network & Sharing
Hello, I'm currently trying to setup my router as the previous one broke but my laptop won't detect the ethernet cable being plugged in. Things I've tried: Rebooting and hard resetting router. Changing the Speed/Duplex. Changing to to 100Mbps Full Duplex caused the routers lan port to...
The cable works on a different computer, the computer gets wireless fine (typing to you from it) but will not read an ethernet cable. The motherboard manual (built the PC myself from components) says an LED should light-up if an ethernet cable is connected, no such LED appears when I connect the...
When installing fedora 20 using VMware Workstation 10 with win8.1 host, the message "cable unplugged" appears during installation. Unavailability of network cable persists after completion of installation. Problem not replicated with VirtualBox. Old VMs also fail to access network.
Solved Network Cable Is [NOT] Unplugged in Network & Sharing
Hello everyone! I re-installed Windows 8 yesterday evening (thought it would be quicker than to cleanup and fix my old install) and then directly upgraded it to Windows 8.1. The problem I am experiencing is quite weird: The Operating System doesn't detect the network cable. 33459 It is quite...
I have installed windows 8 and i am unable to use internet my ethernet connection says Network cable unplugged.I took off the network cable from desktop and put it into the laptop and it started working and when i connected it to desktop it gives the same error.How to resolve it. 13336
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook