Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


several problems with my laptop's wifi

  1. #11


    Posts : 1,360
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Open an elevated command prompt..

    Type: netsh wlan stop hostednetwork > press enter
    Type: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow > press enter

    attempt to connect to wireless network again.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    still can't connect ...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    This appears to be a common problem with the G580 and Broadcom NIC when updating to Windows 8.1.

    I see solutions that mention the Windows driver does not work for this but going back to the Broadcom driver works for some.

    Here's the instructions:

    # Open Device Manager (search Windows Help if you don't know what this is)

    # Select 'Network adaptors' and then open (double-click) Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor

    # Go to the Driver tab and click the Update Driver... button

    # Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

    # Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

    # Select the "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor (Broadcom)" entry from the list, and click Next

    Well, it worked for me.

    Good luck.

    Source: Windows 8.1: WiFi dropping and/or "Limited" - Microsoft Community

    Even Lenovo says to use the Windows driver but it's not working for many. > Broadcom WLAN Driver (Inbox) for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G480(2184, 20149), G580(2189, 20150), G780

    Also, from what I have read the proper command for removing all wireless profiles is >
    Code:
    netsh wlan delete profile name=* i=*
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,360
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise


    Additionally, I can see two separate networks mentioned in the Network log file.

    Network 1) 192.168.2.1
    Network 2) 192.168.16.1

    You could try manually setting the connection information for your wireless adapter.

    IP Address: 192.168.2.123
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.2.1

    -OR-

    IP Address: 192.168.16.123
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.16.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.16.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    This appears to be a common problem with the G580 and Broadcom NIC when updating to Windows 8.1.

    I see solutions that mention the Windows driver does not work for this but going back to the Broadcom driver works for some.

    Here's the instructions:

    # Open Device Manager (search Windows Help if you don't know what this is)

    # Select 'Network adaptors' and then open (double-click) Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor

    # Go to the Driver tab and click the Update Driver... button

    # Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

    # Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

    # Select the "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor (Broadcom)" entry from the list, and click Next

    Well, it worked for me.

    Good luck.

    Source: Windows 8.1: WiFi dropping and/or "Limited" - Microsoft Community

    Even Lenovo says to use the Windows driver but it's not working for many. > Broadcom WLAN Driver (Inbox) for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G480(2184, 20149), G580(2189, 20150), G780

    Also, from what I have read the proper command for removing all wireless profiles is >
    Code:
    netsh wlan delete profile name=* i=*
    well
    i did it and i managed to connect in the first try
    but a small problem still exists
    why after connecting it takes some time to be able to use the internet ?
    it's to be mentioned here that my router is an old one which doesn't transmit wifi
    i use an external access point
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by Zaref View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    This appears to be a common problem with the G580 and Broadcom NIC when updating to Windows 8.1.

    I see solutions that mention the Windows driver does not work for this but going back to the Broadcom driver works for some.

    Here's the instructions:

    # Open Device Manager (search Windows Help if you don't know what this is)

    # Select 'Network adaptors' and then open (double-click) Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor

    # Go to the Driver tab and click the Update Driver... button

    # Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

    # Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

    # Select the "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor (Broadcom)" entry from the list, and click Next

    Well, it worked for me.

    Good luck.

    Source: Windows 8.1: WiFi dropping and/or "Limited" - Microsoft Community

    Even Lenovo says to use the Windows driver but it's not working for many. > Broadcom WLAN Driver (Inbox) for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G480(2184, 20149), G580(2189, 20150), G780

    Also, from what I have read the proper command for removing all wireless profiles is >
    Code:
    netsh wlan delete profile name=* i=*
    well
    i did it and i managed to connect in the first try
    but a small problem still exists
    why after connecting it takes some time to be able to use the internet ?
    it's to be mentioned here that my router is an old one which doesn't transmit wifi
    i use an external access point
    I'm glad the Broadcom driver worked.

    The delay could be many things but it may help to change the DNS from the ISP supplied one to something like Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, you can do this via the IPv4 static settings for DNS or by going into the routers DNS settings by accessing it's gateway IP which I assume is at 192.168.16.1, although your access point appears to not be in the proper subnet for that to work so read on.

    I'm not sure why you received a ping response from the Belkin gateway IP of 192.168.2.1, is the Belkin "I assume it's a Belkin A/P based on the Belkin gateway IP which was showing as pingable thanks to ectech's Network Profile" > Ideally you should turn off DHCP on the Belkin A/P in order to place the A/P into the subnet of the first router. The Belkin? A/P should eventually receive an IP from the gateway router in the proper subnet. This may also fix the problem with the network lag you are seeing.

    Thread: several problems with my laptop's wifi

    many thanks 25 Feb 2014 10:10 AM

    Zaref


    You are welcome for the help.
    Last edited by chev65; 25 Feb 2014 at 19:14.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    i'm afraid it's a hardware problem :\
    connecting to networks now takes less time than before
    but in less than 2 minutes it auto-disconnects
    i can't use wifi at all
    edit : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...m/td-p/1360051
    i 'm sure it's a hardware problem with the laptop
    Last edited by Zaref; 26 Feb 2014 at 05:23.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Central IL
    Posts : 3,468
    Linux Mint 17.2


    What is the manufacturer & model of the laptop? I found that the Intel 7260 Dual Band mini-card Wireless-ac card will run in the Toshiba Satellite C850d-st3nx1 series. Of course now I have two Realtek RTL8188CE sitting in my parts drawer, in the shipping cases that the Intel's came in.

    If yours is shot, CDW has the Intel 7260 going for $28 right now. You would have to add a second antenna for you to get the full 300mbps connection, or if you have a dual band A/P. I ended up on both of my machines, just placing the second antenna inside the bottom of the case, just behind the battery. I get full signal strength anywhere in the house. Also future proofed when I decide to get a Wireless-ac A/P.

    So if yours is bad, and you are comfortable with changing out the mini card in your laptop, go for it. Otherwise, I would just disable it in the bios and use a USB adapter for Wifi.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by broe23 View Post
    What is the manufacturer & model of the laptop? I found that the Intel 7260 Dual Band mini-card Wireless-ac card will run in the Toshiba Satellite C850d-st3nx1 series. Of course now I have two Realtek RTL8188CE sitting in my parts drawer, in the shipping cases that the Intel's came in.

    If yours is shot, CDW has the Intel 7260 going for $28 right now. You would have to add a second antenna for you to get the full 300mbps connection, or if you have a dual band A/P. I ended up on both of my machines, just placing the second antenna inside the bottom of the case, just behind the battery. I get full signal strength anywhere in the house. Also future proofed when I decide to get a Wireless-ac A/P.

    So if yours is bad, and you are comfortable with changing out the mini card in your laptop, go for it. Otherwise, I would just disable it in the bios and use a USB adapter for Wifi.
    what are you talking about ??
    i listed almost every thing about my laptop in this thread and in SysSpecs too
    it's lenovo not toshiba
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Quote Originally Posted by Zaref View Post
    i'm afraid it's a hardware problem :\
    connecting to networks now takes less time than before
    but in less than 2 minutes it auto-disconnects
    i can't use wifi at all
    edit : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...m/td-p/1360051
    i 'm sure it's a hardware problem with the laptop
    It's a driver or hardware problem for all G580's, we have had a constant stream of these machines since day one.

    They are problematic to a fault and it's mostly universal with this machine but most likely it's fixable.

    You mentioned that the Broadcom drivers worked but now I guess they suddenly don't work? Did you configure the Belkin A/P by turning off it's DHCP etc.? It could also be a handshake problem between the Broadcom NIC and the Belkin router.

    In fact the problems with the G580 are so big and widespread there are YouTube video's that show how to fix it. In some cases the wires are connected the wrong way on the wireless NIC which you can change them around and it's been fixing the problem for many so it may be worth a try.
    Easy Fix for Lenovo G580 Wi-Fi Issues on Windows 8 Pro - YouTube

    Read the comments > Fix for Lenovo G580 WiFi Issues on Windows 8 - James Croft

    I'd also like to know the exact model number of the Belkin access point you are using just so I can check for any firmware updates.
    Last edited by chev65; 26 Feb 2014 at 12:25.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
several problems with my laptop's wifi
Related Threads
hey guys, new here. been having this problem for over a month now, I think it happened when i switched from windows 8 to windows 8.1. Try connecting to wifi network, it takes a long time and finally I get a "can't connect to this network" I have extensively used google with no luck. I have no...
I have the same problem here that's My "Network.txt" data: Wireless System Information Summary (Time: 17/10/2014 05:01:45 ê Egypt Standard Time) ======================================================================= ============================== SHOW DRIVERS...
NETGEAR WiFi Problems in Network & Sharing
Recently I purchased a new gaming computer, set it up, and connected it to my home WiFi. Today, I began downloading some new games. In the middle of downloading one of them, my internet simply ceased to work. My computer says the connection is fine, but no webpages will load. This problem has...
WiFi card problems in 8.1 in Drivers & Hardware
Hi everyone, I have an ASUS F550V laptop, according to the internet there is no F550V but the motherboard is X550VB so that's what I'm using to try and solve my problem. My problem is that the WiFi will work for a period of time and then will stop. Sometimes the systray icon will show limited or...
Wifi problems after 8.1 upgrade. in Network & Sharing
Hello So after I upgraded to 8.1 I have been having internet connectivity issues, it says Im conected fine but cant load any web pages. So I ran trouble shoot and this is is what I got back. (see below) Some times trouble shoot will fix it other times not, this time it did. Issues...
wifi problems in Network & Sharing
sorry if this is wrong area.. new here.. i have just installed windows 8 and can not for the life of me get wifi working .. i have downloaded on spare laptop the correct drivers and Acer Aspire ultrabook wont let me delete driver to reinstall as advised or update driver i am restoring it to see if...
Solved Wifi problems with windows 8 in Network & Sharing
Hey, i got the exact same problem as this guy https://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/10232-windows-8-no-wi-fi.html#post134835, someone please help fast..
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook