Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Fighting with HOMEGROUP and Limited connection issues

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit

    Fighting with HOMEGROUP and Limited connection issues


    Fighting with HOMEGROUP and Limited connection issues:

    I have an asus Q500a been mostly using at my house on wifi,
    brought to work turned it on and got it to fine, but I don't remember if it was wifi or wired. ,,, took back home used it on wifi again just fine,
    brought back to work next day,,, bam...
    ive been plagued with the 'limited' issue [wifi or wired] ...
    ive gotten it at least on time to connect successfully, but now here another day and I cant figure this out.
    super frustrated with this. spent over 2 hours trying to get connected to the internet

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit


    interesting that link is for a docking station...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Yes sorry I wasn't familiar with that model and for some reason a docking station came up. I believe the Q500 in the link is what you have?

    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Q500A

    Have you been to the Windows Update Center for all the latest updates for your new system?

    Please unzip then click on the file below, it should create a .txt file on your desktop, upload that file so I can see all the networking information on your system.
    Fighting with HOMEGROUP and Limited connection issues Attached Files
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit


    yes, and i had it working here about 3-4 days ago,,, I remember selecting to leave homegroup, and I've done everything again I can think of and find goggling about turning it off and resetting it but nothing seems to get me internet access today, so I couldn't even get those drivers downloaded on it without doing a usb stick,

    the most recent update from asus is 04/18/2013 so nothing that I haven't already checked on before
    can not check windows update without being able to connect to internet...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit


    ok here is file, hopefully

    Network.txtNetwork.txt
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Yes sorry I wasn't familiar with that model and for some reason a docking station came up. I believe the Q500 in the link is what you have?

    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Q500A

    Have you been to the Windows Update Center for all the latest updates for your new system?

    Please unzip then click on the file below, it should create a .txt file on your desktop, upload that file so I can see all the networking information on your system.
    file is up in post. thanks for your time
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    See if you can download the latest Intel driver for the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
    Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Update your Wi-Fi adapter driver and Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

    Were you able to leave the Homegroup?

    The IP that is showing here looks like it's from a modem or something, there is no default gateway show up, are you using a router for this connection? Of so make and model number would be helpful.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    See if you can download the latest Intel driver for the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
    Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Update your Wi-Fi adapter driver and Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

    Were you able to leave the Homegroup?

    The IP that is showing here looks like it's from a modem or something, there is no default gateway show up, are you using a router for this connection? Of so make and model number would be helpful.
    current wifi drivers are v 15.10.3.1 form 8/22/13

    yes I have a d-link dir-632 8 port wifi additional router attached to an rv082 linksys main router

    I have to head home right now and wont be back at work for several days but I will keep a check this thread and update the drivers while im gone
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    I can tell you that the IP I'm seeing isn't coherent with either of those routers. There isn't even a default gateway showing up. With the DIR-632 I should be seeing a gateway of 192.168.0.1 and an IP in the .0.2-245 range. Hopefully DHCP has been turned off on the secondary router so there isn't dueling DHCP servers.

    The drivers in the following link are dated 12-17-2013 which is just a few days ago so I would update the driver first and go from there.

    The second driver down is the 64 bit version which is drivers only no connection software, go with that one please.

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...eng&iid=dc_rss

    Latest firmware for the DIR-632> D-Link Technical Support
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8 64-Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    I can tell you that the IP I'm seeing isn't coherent with either of those routers. There isn't even a default gateway showing up. With the DIR-632 I should be seeing a gateway of 192.168.0.1 and an IP in the .0.2-245 range. Hopefully DHCP has been turned off on the secondary router so there isn't dueling DHCP servers.

    The drivers in the following link are dated 12-17-2013 which is just a few days ago so I would update the driver first and go from there.

    The second driver down is the 64 bit version which is drivers only no connection software, go with that one please.

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...eng&iid=dc_rss

    Latest firmware for the DIR-632> D-Link Technical Support
    the wif router is "DIR-632-hhp"
    10.216.xxx.xxx is the address I have set to assign out.
    it is interesting to see there is no Default Gateway , may be part of the issue?
    buy our cell phones connect to the wifi with no issues.
    I wonder why that program did not pick up the wired connection? I had it plugged up also. But like I said netiher one would connect to internet, but i did see the other pc on the network just fine

    Is there some way to disable the Homegroup completley or something that I can configure it better so that it will not think my work access is "public" but "private" or an additional "home network"?

    I'll upgrade the drivers but it does not explain why it connected a few days ago and not today.

    thank you
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Fighting with HOMEGROUP and Limited connection issues
Related Threads
LAN connection limited acces in Network & Sharing
Hello I'm at my home and I'm connected with both WiFi and a LAN cable (running out of the wall, connected to a switch). The WiFi connection runs fine, everything up and running. However my LAN connection often (not always, but most of the time) tells me 'limited access'. When I run ipconfig,...
Limited Connection problem in Network & Sharing
So, recently this thingy has made its debut: 48903 I've read what could be causing this. I've tried: re-installing network drivers letting the modem choose an IP address itself assigning an IP myself Nothing helped. What can I do to solve this problem? I got access to internet with an...
Solved limited wireless connection in Network & Sharing
Hi folks I am using Windows 8 consumer Preview I Upgraded form Win 7 , I am now having a problem with my wireless network connections, (once connected to the router it stays connected,) but on booting it show that I only have limited connection and would not connect to the internet. I then have...
Limited Connection in Network & Sharing
Hello in Windows 8.1 i have limited connection all new drivers..reinstalled windows ..nothing 2 days ago was everything fine
Limited Ethernet- No Connection in Network & Sharing
Problem - I cannot at all connect to the internet. Details - NETWORK Connections is Ethernet Limited. HARDWARE positive that adapter router modem works. Already installed network drivers (REaltek LAN Drivers, windows 8 64 bit)- GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM2+ - GA-F2A88X-UP4 (rev....
Solved Limited Connection on Ethernet in Network & Sharing
Hi there people. I don't know if this was posted and solved way back then but I'm having this problem on my ethernet adapter. My connection just went 'limited connection' but I can browse and download on the web with ease. Also, my metro apps like mail, and news, facebook does not update, and also...
Last night, my router worked perfectly. Just the occasional lag spikes as normal. When I got on this morning, it said that my connection was limited. So I went to the network and sharing center, and ran a troubleshoot on my router. It came up fixed, so I proceeded to play League of Legends. Twice...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook