Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


wifi and ethernet connected but limited access

  1. #1


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8 x64 single language

    wifi and ethernet connected but limited access


    hello everyone,
    I recently bought a dell inspiron 5520 laptop and I am able to connect to internet using my broadband ISP username and password and they had provided their own modem which works like a charm..
    But as soon as I try to connect my laptop to LAN using the Ethernet cable in my room it says "LIMITED CONNECTIVITY" and while fetching the details of connection it shows -
    IPV4 - NO INTERNET ACCESS
    AND IPV6 NO INTERNET ACCESS
    though it shows large amount of data sent and received..


    and hence I am not able to surf internet.. All my frnds are able to do the same using their laptops in my room .. NOTE- LAN GETS CONNECTED USING THE ETHERNET CABLE IN MY HOUSE..THE MODEM WORKS FINE AS OTHER FRIENDS ARE ABLE TO SURF




    and as for the wifi...


    it scans for networks and shows limited connectivity and I cannot access net


    BEING A STUDENT ..I AM GOING MAD..PLEASE HELP ME....................... I HAVE ALSO UPLOADED IPCONFIG.TXT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    wifi and ethernet connected but limited access Attached Files

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    India
    Posts : 1,034
    Windows 7 x64/ Windows 8.1 x64
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8 x64 single language

    no solution :(


    thanks for your help but it did'nt work out
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 467
    Windows 8 Pro


    so , wifi works fine but wired connection doesn't?

    Your friends can use the LAN using the same cable?

    Have you tried checking/switching the ethernet cable to make sure that it's not that at fault?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by akshayroy View Post
    hello everyone,
    I recently bought a dell inspiron 5520 laptop and I am able to connect to internet using my broadband ISP username and password and they had provided their own modem which works like a charm..
    But as soon as I try to connect my laptop to LAN using the Ethernet cable in my room it says "LIMITED CONNECTIVITY" and while fetching the details of connection it shows -
    IPV4 - NO INTERNET ACCESS
    AND IPV6 NO INTERNET ACCESS
    though it shows large amount of data sent and received..


    and hence I am not able to surf internet.. All my frnds are able to do the same using their laptops in my room .. NOTE- LAN GETS CONNECTED USING THE ETHERNET CABLE IN MY HOUSE..THE MODEM WORKS FINE AS OTHER FRIENDS ARE ABLE TO SURF




    and as for the wifi...


    it scans for networks and shows limited connectivity and I cannot access net


    BEING A STUDENT ..I AM GOING MAD..PLEASE HELP ME....................... I HAVE ALSO UPLOADED IPCONFIG.TXT
    Only one connection can work at a time here, you are trying to use the wrong one, you need to change the Broadband connection to a Private connection then use that connection only. The secondary connection can't work if the first one is active.

    Right now you are trying to connect through Network 4 which doesn't have a connection because the only good connection is the one that is designated as Broadband/Public. You basically need to get rid of the secondary network and use the Broadband network. There is actually nothing wrong with your connection at all.

    Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 8

    I also noticed that you are showing a valid IP for the Broadband connection so the connection is working but that isn't the one you are using.

    Most likely just disabling the secondary PPP Broadband adaptor will allow Windows to use the working Broadband connection though you still may want to change it to a private network.
    Last edited by chev65; 25 Oct 2013 at 12:26.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8 x64 single language


    Quote Originally Posted by Wullail View Post
    so , wifi works fine but wired connection doesn't?

    Your friends can use the LAN using the same cable?

    Have you tried checking/switching the ethernet cable to make sure that it's not that at fault?


    no............... both the wifi and lan arent letting me to access the internet
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8 x64 single language


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by akshayroy View Post
    hello everyone,
    i recently bought a dell inspiron 5520 laptop and i am able to connect to internet using my broadband isp username and password and they had provided their own modem which works like a charm..
    but as soon as i try to connect my laptop to lan using the ethernet cable in my room it says "limited connectivity" and while fetching the details of connection it shows -
    ipv4 - no internet access
    and ipv6 no internet access
    though it shows large amount of data sent and received..


    and hence i am not able to surf internet.. All my frnds are able to do the same using their laptops in my room .. Note- lan gets connected using the ethernet cable in my house..the modem works fine as other friends are able to surf




    and as for the wifi...


    it scans for networks and shows limited connectivity and i cannot access net


    being a student ..i am going mad..please help me....................... I have also uploaded ipconfig.txt
    only one connection can work at a time here, you are trying to use the wrong one, you need to change the broadband connection to a private connection then use that connection only. The secondary connection can't work if the first one is active.

    Right now you are trying to connect through network 4 which doesn't have a connection because the only good connection is the one that is designated as broadband/public. You basically need to get rid of the secondary network and use the broadband network. There is actually nothing wrong with your connection at all.

    Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 8

    i also noticed that you are showing a valid ip for the broadband connection so the connection is working but that isn't the one you are using.

    Most likely just disabling the secondary ppp broadband adaptor will allow windows to use the working broadband connection though you still may want to change it to a private network.



    ok i changed the bsnl broadband connection to private network.. Seems it is not working out!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by akshayroy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by akshayroy View Post
    hello everyone,
    i recently bought a dell inspiron 5520 laptop and i am able to connect to internet using my broadband isp username and password and they had provided their own modem which works like a charm..
    but as soon as i try to connect my laptop to lan using the ethernet cable in my room it says "limited connectivity" and while fetching the details of connection it shows -
    ipv4 - no internet access
    and ipv6 no internet access
    though it shows large amount of data sent and received..


    and hence i am not able to surf internet.. All my frnds are able to do the same using their laptops in my room .. Note- lan gets connected using the ethernet cable in my house..the modem works fine as other friends are able to surf




    and as for the wifi...


    it scans for networks and shows limited connectivity and i cannot access net


    being a student ..i am going mad..please help me....................... I have also uploaded ipconfig.txt
    only one connection can work at a time here, you are trying to use the wrong one, you need to change the broadband connection to a private connection then use that connection only. The secondary connection can't work if the first one is active.

    Right now you are trying to connect through network 4 which doesn't have a connection because the only good connection is the one that is designated as broadband/public. You basically need to get rid of the secondary network and use the broadband network. There is actually nothing wrong with your connection at all.

    Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 8

    i also noticed that you are showing a valid ip for the broadband connection so the connection is working but that isn't the one you are using.

    Most likely just disabling the secondary ppp broadband adaptor will allow windows to use the working broadband connection though you still may want to change it to a private network.



    ok i changed the bsnl broadband connection to private network.. Seems it is not working out!!
    I'd like to see the ipconfig /all again. Have you tried to update to Windows 8.1 yet?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8 x64 single language


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by akshayroy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

    only one connection can work at a time here, you are trying to use the wrong one, you need to change the broadband connection to a private connection then use that connection only. The secondary connection can't work if the first one is active.

    Right now you are trying to connect through network 4 which doesn't have a connection because the only good connection is the one that is designated as broadband/public. You basically need to get rid of the secondary network and use the broadband network. There is actually nothing wrong with your connection at all.

    Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 8

    i also noticed that you are showing a valid ip for the broadband connection so the connection is working but that isn't the one you are using.

    Most likely just disabling the secondary ppp broadband adaptor will allow windows to use the working broadband connection though you still may want to change it to a private network.



    ok i changed the bsnl broadband connection to private network.. Seems it is not working out!!
    I'd like to see the ipconfig /all again. Have you tried to update to Windows 8.1 yet?
    No.. i haven't updated to windows 8.1.. ok windows 8 ipconfig is as follows-





    Windows IP Configuration


    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Akshay
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : local.lan


    PPP adapter Broadband Connection:


    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadband Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.205.162.89(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.162
    218.248.255.163
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled


    Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 16:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 84-A6-C8-24-54-51
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 15:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 86-A6-C8-24-54-50
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 84-A6-C8-24-54-50
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Ethernet adapter Ethernet:


    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local.lan
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 84-A6-C8-24-54-50
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:38:45 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:38:45 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled


    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:


    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:c85:fd5:8a32:5da6(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c85:fd5:8a32:5da6%17(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 486539264
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-39-66-06-D4-BE-D9-61-3C-E6
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled


    Tunnel adapter isatap.{AC2B2B28-9AD8-40C6-BF2D-EC19F08F4F71}:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface {1EF6F09B-EEF7-430B-9760-8D346BFAA253}:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local.lan
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface {A75F8D1C-FBF4-4FE8-B4D0-09B78D48800B}:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Tunnel adapter isatap.local.lan:


    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


    Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:


    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:75cd:a259::75cd:a259(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.162
    218.248.255.163
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Your going to want to go into Device Manager and disable the PPP adaptor as it's picking up a static IP from someplace and it's showing no default gateway.

    You should also uninstall those extra tunnel adaptors, you also have some Microsoft virtual adaptors which are active so it's best to disable those as well for testing.

    You should also try the latest driver from Realtek for Windows 8.1. > Realtek
    Last edited by chev65; 27 Oct 2013 at 13:08.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
wifi and ethernet connected but limited access
Related Threads
Hello there, Im encountering this strange problem for a couple of months now and at first i thought it might be an ISP issue. But i realise it may not be. The wifi icon occassionally has an exclamation mark on it indicating no internet access despite being connected to the network. When i run...
Good day! my laptop (2weeks old) running windows 8.1 is connected to our home wifi, but is limited. All other devices connected can use the internet but i cant. I tried updating drivers but it still shows limited. Please urgent help.
Hi to all, got a problem for some time and can't find a solution... I think everybody knows about the problem with windows 8.1 at laptops with the limited ethernet (wifi), so I have the same problem on my PC and I cant find a cure... Someone, any advices? Coz of this I cant loggin to my...
It´s a desktop using wifi to avoid a long cable deployment. I´m using my husband´s machine, right next to mine, to post about it, over the same wifi network, but according to my machine there are either no networks available or the connection is limited, which seems to mean useless. The device...
The little icon on the bottom right corner pc says internet access but i cant connect at all. The modem is connected to the router. I set up the wireless connection and no internet access on my wireless tablet. Sometimes the little right corner pc shows limited connectivity. Any idea whats wrong?...
I just bought a brand new computer and i am having trouble getting it to STAY connected to the wifi. It has windows 8 which i am not to keen on, and also know veery little about. It connects fine but after anywhere from 5-30 minutes it will go to limited connectivity. After this i disconnect from...
i just bought a dell xt2 on ebay it came with windows 8 pro. my problem is that it goes into limited connection every ten minutes, even when i am next to the router. the error i get when i trouble shoot is the Default gateway is not avaible. let me know if you need any more info.<br>
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook