Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


persistent network drive mappings not very persistent

  1. #1

    persistent network drive mappings not very persistent


    I've set up two drive mappings on my Windows 8 machine to my NAS machine but they never stay when I reboot.
    When I reboot or start my machine, the drive mappings show a red "X" beside them in Explorer, but when I just single click on them they open up as you would expect them to. From that point on, everything is good... until I reboot again.
    I should mention that I also always get the yellow pop-up message (bottom left side) that says "Could not reconnect all network drives".

    Until I manually click on the drives in Windows Explorer, my favorites won't show up in IE since I have my favorites located on one of the mapped drives (on my NAS). As soone as I click on the drive(s) in Windows Explorer, the favorites immediately show up in IE.
    I've set them up using UNC and IP addresses (ie: \\192.168.0.100\sharename
    So far, nothing 'sticks' and I can't seem to find an answer on the net.
    Many suggestions seem to think the OS is trying to load the mapped drives before the network stuff is loaded. Since I'm booting from a SSD drive (8 seconds to boot up! yes!) then this makes sense.
    I've also tried a net use command in the registry run to manually connect the shares each boot, but that gives me the same result.

    Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by marklyn; 29 Jul 2013 at 09:10. Reason: added new information, more details.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    See if this article helps:

    Auto Reconnect Mapped Network Drive
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Unfortunately, this didn't help me. Most of the article appears to be XP oriented so some suggestions or steps weren't able to do in Windows 8.
    I've even tried setting up a drive mapping in the run part of the registry, no good there either.

    I find it odd that when I restart and see the red X's next to the drive mappings that just a click restores them.
    Until then my IE Favorites are blank since they reside on a folder on my NAS but as soon as I click the mapped connection, my favorites are there.

    Frustrating. I set up the same exact drive mappings under a Windows 7 machine and they are persistent and always ready to go on boot up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 467
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    Unfortunately, this didn't help me. Most of the article appears to be XP oriented so some suggestions or steps weren't able to do in Windows 8.
    I've even tried setting up a drive mapping in the run part of the registry, no good there either.

    I find it odd that when I restart and see the red X's next to the drive mappings that just a click restores them.
    Until then my IE Favorites are blank since they reside on a folder on my NAS but as soon as I click the mapped connection, my favorites are there.

    Frustrating. I set up the same exact drive mappings under a Windows 7 machine and they are persistent and always ready to go on boot up.
    Happens here too.....it's almost like Win8 has tried checking the connections BEFORE being fully logged/connected into the network , connects the mapped drives later on and then forgets to update the GUI in the window....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    I've set up two drive mappings on my Windows 8 machine to my NAS machine but they never stay when I reboot.
    When I reboot or start my machine, the drive mappings show a red "X" beside them in Explorer, but when I just single click on them they open up as you would expect them to. From that point on, everything is good... until I reboot again.
    I should mention that I also always get the yellow pop-up message (bottom left side) that says "Could not reconnect all network drives".

    Until I manually click on the drives in Windows Explorer, my favorites won't show up in IE since I have my favorites located on one of the mapped drives (on my NAS). As soone as I click on the drive(s) in Windows Explorer, the favorites immediately show up in IE.
    I've set them up using UNC and IP addresses (ie: \\192.168.0.100\sharename
    So far, nothing 'sticks' and I can't seem to find an answer on the net.
    Many suggestions seem to think the OS is trying to load the mapped drives before the network stuff is loaded. Since I'm booting from a SSD drive (8 seconds to boot up! yes!) then this makes sense.
    I've also tried a net use command in the registry run to manually connect the shares each boot, but that gives me the same result.

    Anyone have any ideas?
    There are some commands to delay the drive mapping until after Windows connects, the link below shows you how to set the delay.
    Delay mounting network drive at boot? - Microsoft Community
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    I thought about something like this but I'd sure hate to slow down a boot process that I'm proud of (8-10 seconds)!
    Maybe if I figure out a way for the net use command to run quietly (or at least minimized), that won't be such an annoying reminder.
    Thanks for the input.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    I thought about something like this but I'd sure hate to slow down a boot process that I'm proud of (8-10 seconds)!
    Maybe if I figure out a way for the net use command to run quietly (or at least minimized), that won't be such an annoying reminder.
    Thanks for the input.
    It doesn't actually slow down the machine from booting, it only delays the drive mapping until after Windows is connected.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    OK, I tried this and it really didn't make any difference.
    I set it up for a 7 second delay and the script ran but the red X's were still by the drive mappings.
    I've got a batch file set up that I can manually run and it works most of the time a few seconds after I've booted up but I've noticed that it is more successful around a minute after I'm booted up.
    I'm really thinking it has more to do with what is available in the way of networking abilities at the time the mapping is requested.

    I've also tried putting the batch file set to run in the run part of the registry, same thing, it must be running the batch file quicker than when networking is available.
    I've even modified the batch file to change to that drive and do a 'dir' command thinking that some type of activity might make it connect quickly at that point, but that doesn't seem to make much if any difference.

    One thing I just though of trying is a mapping to another windows machine instead of my NAS to see if there is a difference in how quick that drive mapping is available.

    If anyone thinks of anything, please let me know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    OK, I tried this and it really didn't make any difference.
    I set it up for a 7 second delay and the script ran but the red X's were still by the drive mappings.
    I've got a batch file set up that I can manually run and it works most of the time a few seconds after I've booted up but I've noticed that it is more successful around a minute after I'm booted up.
    I'm really thinking it has more to do with what is available in the way of networking abilities at the time the mapping is requested.

    I've also tried putting the batch file set to run in the run part of the registry, same thing, it must be running the batch file quicker than when networking is available.
    I've even modified the batch file to change to that drive and do a 'dir' command thinking that some type of activity might make it connect quickly at that point, but that doesn't seem to make much if any difference.

    One thing I just though of trying is a mapping to another windows machine instead of my NAS to see if there is a difference in how quick that drive mapping is available.

    If anyone thinks of anything, please let me know.
    Try using a delay longer than 7 seconds, that isn't enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    I actually used one for 1 minute (sorry, forgot to mention) but even if that work (it didn't), that would be too long to 'wait' for a drive mapping in Windows 8 that was immediate after boot in Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
persistent network drive mappings not very persistent
Related Threads
Solved Persistent BSODs and Crashes in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I'm getting quite regular BSODs and crashes, previously I was getting crashes from AMD 14.7 beta drives so I swapped down to the 14.4 drivers. Now I'm not getting BSODs from atikmdag.sys, but I'm getting BSODs from what looks like ntoskrnl.exe. Additionally sometimes my computer will freeze, the...
Hey guys! First of all, sorry for the bad english, not my native language, but I'll try to make myself understood. So, I bought a new HDD for my laptop, since my last one got bad and one day after installing it I noticed an annoying issue. Everytime I turn off my system the normal way, the next...
Hello to everyone at the eightforums community, it is a pleasure and honor to join you here. I bought an MSI GT70 laptop almost a year ago and have had issues with BSOD's ever since. At first they were very rare, only occuring every few days and I mostly ignored them thinking that Windows 8 still...
I've had BSODS since last year. The laptop has been for three RMA's with PC Specialist, in the last one they said they did a full rebuild of the system. The BIOS has been updated, RAM replaced, I've done clean reinstalls of Windows in the past. I had it back for 10 days and then yesterday it...
Hey guys. I have a segate 1TB external HDD and right now I barely have anything stored on it. Well, just now when i tried creating a new folder i keep getting error code 0x08000FFFF! What the hell?! This HDD is not even 2 months old! Is it curtains for the drive? Or is there some action I can...
Drive Mappings in Network & Sharing
Does anyone no if there is a way to make a Mapped Network Drive appear as a local drive? There are some programs out but I'm not sure if any of them work. Trying to fool a backup program to see a mapped drive as a local device. Any help is appreciated. Windows 8 Pro :think: I see a bunch of...
Solved BSoD persistent within 5 minutes of cold boot in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
One week-old install of Win Pro 8 as upgrade over Win 7 Pro 64-bit. All drivers updated to latest via Dell, nVidia card via nVidia site. McAfee stripped off, Win Defender only. BSoD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION within 5 mins of power-up, persistent failure. Dump attached; grateful for your...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook