Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


persistent network drive mappings not very persistent

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    I actually used one for 1 minute (sorry, forgot to mention) but even if that work (it didn't), that would be too long to 'wait' for a drive mapping in Windows 8 that was immediate after boot in Windows 7.
    Ok try the fix mentioned in the following link, not sure if this relates to your exact problem or not.
    @GJohansson | Windows 8 GPP Drive maps fails

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    I actually saw that post somewhere before but disregarded it since I always want a permanent connection upon reboot. Besides, I'm not on a domain, I'm in a workgroup, so I couldn't do the gpupdate anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    I'm seeing many complaints about this same problem so it's an official bug.

    One possible fix leads to the second link which is a Windows hotfix' update that has fixed the problem in many cases.

    Source> Windows 8 Drive Mappings - Spiceworks

    Hotfix> Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 update rollup: February 2013
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    unfortunately, I tried that hotfix last week and it turns out I already had this hotfix installed, so, no go for me.
    Thanks for the suggestion/lead though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Apparently the lanman server settings have an effect on this. These same setting are used to gain access to older SMB and Windows server's but apparently has an effect on persistent drive mappings.

    Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy>

    Local Policies - Security Options>

    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Set to Send LM & NTLM responses only

    Set the Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    Disable Require 128-bit encryption


    Source: Windows 7 – Fixing The Mapped Drive Credentials Problem | The Gadget Grill


    If that doesn't work try adding the credentials manually.
    To open the Credential Manager and add a Windows credential:

    1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    2. Click Credential Manager.
    3. Click Add a Windows credential.
    4. Within the Resource field, type in the name of the resource (such as the computer name) or the URL of the Web site you want to access.
    5. In the User name field, type in your username used to access the resource or Web site.
    6. In the Password field, type in the password used to access the resource or Web site.
    7. Click OK.
    Last edited by chev65; 01 Aug 2013 at 10:32.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Apparently the lanman server settings have an effect on this. These same setting are used to gain access to older SMB and Windows server's but apparently has an effect on persistent drive mappings.

    Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy>

    Local Policies - Security Options>

    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Set to Send LM & NTLM responses only

    Set the Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    Disable Require 128-bit encryption


    Source: Windows 7 – Fixing The Mapped Drive Credentials Problem | The Gadget Grill


    If that doesn't work try adding the credentials manually.
    To open the Credential Manager and add a Windows credential:

    1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    2. Click Credential Manager.
    3. Click Add a Windows credential.
    4. Within the Resource field, type in the name of the resource (such as the computer name) or the URL of the Web site you want to access.
    5. In the User name field, type in your username used to access the resource or Web site.
    6. In the Password field, type in the password used to access the resource or Web site.
    7. Click OK.
    Under administrative tools, I don't see a local security policy for my Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Apparently the lanman server settings have an effect on this. These same setting are used to gain access to older SMB and Windows server's but apparently has an effect on persistent drive mappings.

    Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy>

    Local Policies - Security Options>

    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Set to Send LM & NTLM responses only

    Set the Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    Disable Require 128-bit encryption


    Source: Windows 7 – Fixing The Mapped Drive Credentials Problem | The Gadget Grill


    If that doesn't work try adding the credentials manually.
    To open the Credential Manager and add a Windows credential:

    1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    2. Click Credential Manager.
    3. Click Add a Windows credential.
    4. Within the Resource field, type in the name of the resource (such as the computer name) or the URL of the Web site you want to access.
    5. In the User name field, type in your username used to access the resource or Web site.
    6. In the Password field, type in the password used to access the resource or Web site.
    7. Click OK.
    Under administrative tools, I don't see a local security policy for my Windows 8.
    Do you have the Windows 8 non pro version for some reason?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Apparently the lanman server settings have an effect on this. These same setting are used to gain access to older SMB and Windows server's but apparently has an effect on persistent drive mappings.

    Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy>

    Local Policies - Security Options>

    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
    Set to Send LM & NTLM responses only

    Set the Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
    Disable Require 128-bit encryption


    Source: Windows 7 – Fixing The Mapped Drive Credentials Problem | The Gadget Grill


    If that doesn't work try adding the credentials manually.
    To open the Credential Manager and add a Windows credential:

    1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    2. Click Credential Manager.
    3. Click Add a Windows credential.
    4. Within the Resource field, type in the name of the resource (such as the computer name) or the URL of the Web site you want to access.
    5. In the User name field, type in your username used to access the resource or Web site.
    6. In the Password field, type in the password used to access the resource or Web site.
    7. Click OK.
    Under administrative tools, I don't see a local security policy for my Windows 8.
    Do you have the Windows 8 non pro version for some reason?
    Yes, I realize I do and assume that this is not available in regular Windows 8. Damn MS.
    Is there another way I can maybe do this via the registry?
    This drive mapping issue is so annoying and utter nonsense that I have to deal with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marklyn View Post

    Under administrative tools, I don't see a local security policy for my Windows 8.
    Do you have the Windows 8 non pro version for some reason?
    Yes, I realize I do and assume that this is not available in regular Windows 8. Damn MS.
    Is there another way I can maybe do this via the registry?
    This drive mapping issue is so annoying and utter nonsense that I have to deal with it.
    Yes no Local Security Policy with the Home version of Windows 8.

    I do have the Windows 7 registry settings which relate to the lanman server settings although I don't believe these have the same effect in Windows 8 but maybe worth a try.

    Type in ‘regedit’ and press OK.
    Search for the following location:
    HTML Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
    Double click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the value data to 1.

    Double click on ‘NoLmHash’ and change the value data to 0.

    Search for the following location:
    HTML Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters\
    Double click on ‘restrictnullsessaccess’ and change the value data to 0.

    Close the register editor.
    Restart your PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Wow, that looked so promising, but unfortunately it made no difference.
    I even removed the prior drive mappings, wiped windows credentials and re-established drive mapping, rebooted, etc.
    Arggggghhhhh. Why is something that I should be taking for granted such a pain.

    Thanks for your suggestion though. I'm still looking/researching and trying what I can.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
persistent network drive mappings not very persistent
Related Threads
Solved Persistent BSODs and Crashes in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I'm getting quite regular BSODs and crashes, previously I was getting crashes from AMD 14.7 beta drives so I swapped down to the 14.4 drivers. Now I'm not getting BSODs from atikmdag.sys, but I'm getting BSODs from what looks like ntoskrnl.exe. Additionally sometimes my computer will freeze, the...
Hey guys! First of all, sorry for the bad english, not my native language, but I'll try to make myself understood. So, I bought a new HDD for my laptop, since my last one got bad and one day after installing it I noticed an annoying issue. Everytime I turn off my system the normal way, the next...
Hello to everyone at the eightforums community, it is a pleasure and honor to join you here. I bought an MSI GT70 laptop almost a year ago and have had issues with BSOD's ever since. At first they were very rare, only occuring every few days and I mostly ignored them thinking that Windows 8 still...
I've had BSODS since last year. The laptop has been for three RMA's with PC Specialist, in the last one they said they did a full rebuild of the system. The BIOS has been updated, RAM replaced, I've done clean reinstalls of Windows in the past. I had it back for 10 days and then yesterday it...
Hey guys. I have a segate 1TB external HDD and right now I barely have anything stored on it. Well, just now when i tried creating a new folder i keep getting error code 0x08000FFFF! What the hell?! This HDD is not even 2 months old! Is it curtains for the drive? Or is there some action I can...
Drive Mappings in Network & Sharing
Does anyone no if there is a way to make a Mapped Network Drive appear as a local drive? There are some programs out but I'm not sure if any of them work. Trying to fool a backup program to see a mapped drive as a local device. Any help is appreciated. Windows 8 Pro :think: I see a bunch of...
Solved BSoD persistent within 5 minutes of cold boot in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
One week-old install of Win Pro 8 as upgrade over Win 7 Pro 64-bit. All drivers updated to latest via Dell, nVidia card via nVidia site. McAfee stripped off, Win Defender only. BSoD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION within 5 mins of power-up, persistent failure. Dump attached; grateful for your...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook