Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Network component placement

  1. #1


    Posts : 128
    Win8 Pro x64

    Network component placement


    I want to create a home network:
    modem - Motorola SB 6180, from COX Communication
    router - ASUS RT-AC-66U
    gigabit switch - TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged
    printer - HP LaserJet Pro 200 color with ethernet port
    2 desktops, each running Win 8 Prox64
    Cat 6 cables.

    Plan A:
    Cat 6 cable from modem to router
    Cat 6 cable from router to switch
    Cat 6 cables from switch to printer and desktops

    I think this will give me wifi for my laptop and good connection speed between computers and printer.
    But I could be wrong........

    Suggestions appreciated.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Just a comment on the modem selection. I have an SB6120 modem that simply flies. So, if the SB6180 is an improved version, I think you have made a great choice.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 1,093
    Windows 8 Pro Windows 8.1 Preview


    Also, I assume both desktops have a 10/100/1000 LAN as well; yes?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 128
    Win8 Pro x64


    The modem purchased from my ISP - it works great.

    ASRock mobo - PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
    ASUS mobo - Intel® 82579, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

    I guess that is a Yes.
    I love getting involved in projects I know very little about. Learning is best part.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    England, Northamptonshire
    Posts : 536
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard


    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    I want to create a home network:
    modem - Motorola SB 6180, from COX Communication
    router - ASUS RT-AC-66U
    gigabit switch - TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged
    printer - HP LaserJet Pro 200 color with ethernet port
    2 desktops, each running Win 8 Prox64
    Cat 6 cables.

    Plan A:
    Cat 6 cable from modem to router
    Cat 6 cable from router to switch
    Cat 6 cables from switch to printer and desktops

    I think this will give me wifi for my laptop and good connection speed between computers and printer.
    But I could be wrong........

    Suggestions appreciated.
    You must use a crossover cable to connect your modem to the router! If you don't then there will be no communication

    Patch/straight cables are fine for everything else

    Josh
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    I want to create a home network:
    modem - Motorola SB 6180, from COX Communication
    router - ASUS RT-AC-66U
    gigabit switch - TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged
    printer - HP LaserJet Pro 200 color with ethernet port
    2 desktops, each running Win 8 Prox64
    Cat 6 cables.

    Plan A:
    Cat 6 cable from modem to router
    Cat 6 cable from router to switch
    Cat 6 cables from switch to printer and desktops

    I think this will give me wifi for my laptop and good connection speed between computers and printer.
    But I could be wrong........

    Suggestions appreciated.
    You must use a crossover cable to connect your modem to the router! If you don't then there will be no communication

    Patch/straight cables are fine for everything else

    Josh
    With any modem or router made in the last 15 years there is no use for crossover cable at all, in fact even when using ICS there is no need to use a crossover cable.

    To the Op, good choice on the Asus AC66U, I'm running this router also as an access point and I'm getting 1.1Gb connection speeds with wireless.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    England, Northamptonshire
    Posts : 536
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard


    True, I suppose I've been taught that for the business world aha I'm just not a fan of auto detection even when it comes to speed and duplex...

    Josh
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 128
    Win8 Pro x64


    Thanks to all for the advice...now to put it into action.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    What is the purpose of the Switch. You router has 4 ethernet ports.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 128
    Win8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    What is the purpose of the Switch. You router has 4 ethernet ports.

    Jim
    That was Plan A. Plan B has no switch...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Network component placement
Related Threads
[Free] MoveIt Window Placement Tray Utility in Free Developer Programs and Projects
MoveIt is a simple Hotkey Program that sits in the Tray. It has Hotkeys to place the active window at various positions. Unfortunately since I have only had single monitor systems I could not program in multi-monitor support. The good news is I've been using it on Vista and Windows 7. Now I...
I am developing a WinRT app under Windows 8. (I do NOT have, nor am I targeting, Win 8.1.) I'm looking for PDF libraries/components that I can use in my app to render pdfs in-app, without the users requiring to switch to a different app (like Adobe Reader) to view pdfs. I know there are a...
I am getting repeated Component store corruptions after any security updates. No metro apps will open yet an icon appears on the Taskbar. I have been able to repair it with DISM every time but that is beside the point. I want to know why!
Component store in General Support
I would like all the info i can get on the winSXS folder in windows. What it is used for, windows update old and new .dll's, component store etc. Also I read where the DISM program has been changed for Windows 8.1?
Solved Odd placement of charms bar in General Support
My charms bar seems a bit off center, is that normal? I feel sure that it should be in the center of the screen...right?
Volume Bar Placement in Customization
Hi there, Iam using Windows 8 x64 in Desktop Mode. Does anyone know if the placement of the volume bar can be changed? I made a screenshot: http://i47.tinypic.com/2eqb94z.jpg the default position is now in win8 in the left upper area. i want it where it always has been, in the right lower...
NCIS LA product placement in Chillout Room
I noticed on this weeks episode Eric was using a Surface. It looked way cool. :cool: Great advertising on Microsoft's part.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook