Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Wifi is extremely slow please help!

  1. #21


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s0uth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullail View Post
    Does your modem/router have QOS toggled on?

    Which router are you using?

    I'm guessing it's actually a configuration issue at your routers end and not Win 8.
    I don't know what router im using and idk what QOS is D:
    But also i don't think its my router's issue but idk. Windows 7 laptop worked fine with this router. But windows 8 doesn't seem to be wanting to work with me D:
    QOS is Quality Of Service i think.

    Sir,

    you see we try to help you, your kind and everythig, but:
    you keep saying that you do not think it's your router's issue
    but we think **it can be in fact**
    it can as well be: *that* router is not compatible with *that* PC, which one is faulty?

    I would do this:
    1) verify that wireless access is encrypted
    2) reset all the settings you talk about in the first thread post, unless you knew what you where doing of course;
    3) perform a speedtest.net with win8(wire&wireless), also with another wireless device(if you have) both from the same position and compare results
    4) remove all the "bloatware/crapware" from your PC, you can as well remove the trial antivirus as suggested in
    a post above, windows 8 has a built in antivirus (Defender) that shoud be ok, unless you know that you need
    something more/different of course;

    ultimately, if you do not know what router you are using you may not have access to it or you are a bit lazy

    hope this helps,

    Roy.
    Well i have looked @ the router and the router doesn't really have some name brand on it. Should i get like the S/N? or something? Also, when i did a test of speedtest with wired to the router, i got ~10mbps, without it i get less than 1mbps but on a good time ~2-4mbps is lucky...As well, My wireless access is encrypted with AES

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    What wireless Band is the router...eg...G or N? How far away are you from the router? Are there a lot of walls around the router and in your place? Is the router in a central location of your house?
    There isn't much of a distance between me and my router. I'm in my bedroom, which is about probably 10meters at most probably? and no there isn't many walls :L Also i'm not too sure if its eg or G or N
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s0uth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullail View Post
    Does your modem/router have QOS toggled on?

    Which router are you using?

    I'm guessing it's actually a configuration issue at your routers end and not Win 8.
    I don't know what router im using and idk what QOS is D:
    But also i don't think its my router's issue but idk. Windows 7 laptop worked fine with this router. But windows 8 doesn't seem to be wanting to work with me D:
    QOS is Quality Of Service i think.

    Sir,

    you see we try to help you, your kind and everythig, but:
    you keep saying that you do not think it's your router's issue
    but we think **it can be in fact**
    it can as well be: *that* router is not compatible with *that* PC, which one is faulty?

    I would do this:
    1) verify that wireless access is encrypted
    2) reset all the settings you talk about in the first thread post, unless you knew what you where doing of course;
    3) perform a speedtest.net with win8(wire&wireless), also with another wireless device(if you have) both from the same position and compare results
    4) remove all the "bloatware/crapware" from your PC, you can as well remove the trial antivirus as suggested in
    a post above, windows 8 has a built in antivirus (Defender) that shoud be ok, unless you know that you need
    something more/different of course;

    ultimately, if you do not know what router you are using you may not have access to it or you are a bit lazy

    hope this helps,

    Roy.
    Also roy if the router isn't compatible with the pc, should i get another one?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Can you post a few pictures of your router? With the these pictures we might be able to determine what brand you have.

    Try this; unplug your router from the power source, the AC outlet. Let it set for a full 2 minutes then plug it back in and let the router boot up, then check your wireless connection.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 56
    Windows 8.1 pro Windows 8 pro Windows 7 Home


    Quote Originally Posted by s0uth View Post

    Also roy if the router isn't compatible with the pc, should i get another one?
    No, also we do not know where the problem is yet...
    surely you should try to reboot it as stated above,
    and also try to connect the pc to another wireless device
    maybe borrowing one ...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Can you post a few pictures of your router? With the these pictures we might be able to determine what brand you have.

    Try this; unplug your router from the power source, the AC outlet. Let it set for a full 2 minutes then plug it back in and let the router boot up, then check your wireless connection.
    OH! My router, I think thats the one that gives you the wireless connections ( I think i was looking @ my modem). The router is ?Cisco - Linksys. I also pulled the plug on it and replugged it in. After 30 seconds my computer reconnected, but then it was constantly on limited connection... So i then disconnected from the internet and reconnected and it was fine. But when i restarted the router and the computer auto connected, it had limted access, would this be a problem?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s0uth View Post

    Also roy if the router isn't compatible with the pc, should i get another one?
    No, also we do not know where the problem is yet...
    surely you should try to reboot it as stated above,
    and also try to connect the pc to another wireless device
    maybe borrowing one ...
    Sorry i was looking @ my modem , my router is Cisco - Linksys.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    ALSO: When i restarted my router it seems my internet got significantly faster on speed test. Idk why? Do i constantly have to keep restarting my router. Its not as fast as when its wired, nor as fast as my windows 7 laptop, but when i restarted my router and then did a speed test on chrome and IE, both got around 5-6 mbps for download and 1+mbps upload

    Another note* I just decided to test 3 times! It seems though... on the 3rd test.. from 6.01 (IE) mbps download, on the 3rd test now it has dropped to 4.12 mbps... Idk why but it seems like my download speed is dropping still! (Upload is still the same)

    I don't think it's good that my internet download speed starts dropping rapidly after a few mins :L

    ANOTHER EDIT*, Apparently on my 4th test, (IE) went back to 5.74 mbps download and chrome 4.74 mbps download. Is something wrong with my internet that is making it drop download speed and then increase. It almost seems as if it is flucuating.

    Sorry for so many edits! But now its constantly at around 5mbps O.o.. Idk why. How can i manage this.
    I spoke too soon, then after another test it went to ~3mbps, it seems my connection isn't truly strong yet i have 5 bars when i see it :/?

    And another note: Currently i am also the only one using internet at home. Later on, 1 more computer usually uses it, and sometimes 2 more devices access internet. Idk if that would effect my speeds, but then again 5mbps isn't really fast.. and if it gets spread amongst 2-3 devices, it'd slow down even more? I don't know what to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 56
    Windows 8.1 pro Windows 8 pro Windows 7 Home


    Quote Originally Posted by s0uth View Post
    ALSO: When i restarted my router it seems my internet got significantly faster on speed test. Idk why? Do i constantly have to keep restarting my router. Its not as fast as when its wired, nor as fast as my windows 7 laptop, but when i restarted my router and then did a speed test on chrome and IE, both got around 5-6 mbps for download and 1+mbps upload

    Another note* I just decided to test 3 times! It seems though... on the 3rd test.. from 6.01 (IE) mbps download, on the 3rd test now it has dropped to 4.12 mbps... Idk why but it seems like my download speed is dropping still! (Upload is still the same)

    I don't think it's good that my internet download speed starts dropping rapidly after a few mins :L

    ANOTHER EDIT*, Apparently on my 4th test, (IE) went back to 5.74 mbps download and chrome 4.74 mbps download. Is something wrong with my internet that is making it drop download speed and then increase. It almost seems as if it is flucuating.

    5th test on (IE) 4.44 mbps.. yeah, it seems like my connection is flucuating.
    Hi,

    what you describe sounds to me totally normal "fluctuations" of the internet connection
    my ISP drop my speed down to 0.09 Mbps (yes 0.09) if they decide i'm using youtube too much..

    is your pc the only device using the connection?
    did you made the cable test connecting to the modem or to the router?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 20
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s0uth View Post
    ALSO: When i restarted my router it seems my internet got significantly faster on speed test. Idk why? Do i constantly have to keep restarting my router. Its not as fast as when its wired, nor as fast as my windows 7 laptop, but when i restarted my router and then did a speed test on chrome and IE, both got around 5-6 mbps for download and 1+mbps upload

    Another note* I just decided to test 3 times! It seems though... on the 3rd test.. from 6.01 (IE) mbps download, on the 3rd test now it has dropped to 4.12 mbps... Idk why but it seems like my download speed is dropping still! (Upload is still the same)

    I don't think it's good that my internet download speed starts dropping rapidly after a few mins :L

    ANOTHER EDIT*, Apparently on my 4th test, (IE) went back to 5.74 mbps download and chrome 4.74 mbps download. Is something wrong with my internet that is making it drop download speed and then increase. It almost seems as if it is flucuating.

    5th test on (IE) 4.44 mbps.. yeah, it seems like my connection is flucuating.
    Hi,

    what you describe sounds to me totally normal "fluctuations" of the internet connection
    my ISP drop my speed down to 0.09 Mbps (yes 0.09) if they decide i'm using youtube too much..

    is your pc the only device using the connection?
    did you made the cable test connecting to the modem or to the router?
    Ya i did the cable test. When its wired up on speedtest.net, i get 10mbps download. But then when its on wireless, it significantly drops. At the moment, my computer is also the only connection using internet. So far i'm able to play games.. but when im also trying to look on youtube for videos, it makes it really laggy :l
    Also, are you sure its normal :S? My computer is a few days old and i thought it shouldn't be this abnormal.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wifi is extremely slow please help!
Related Threads
Toshiba laptop, i3, 6gb mem, Win 8.1 x64 OEM Hello all, my boot up time is extremely long like 5 min. Problem started when I manually retrieved a DVD from laptop. I tried a bunch of things to rebuild boot file to no avail. Tried: SFC scan- no integrity problems. Tried to rebuild in command...
Windows 8 Extremely Slow in General Support
My windows 8 computer is extremely slow and hangs often. It is nearly impossible to run simple programs such as file explorer or task manager. I almost always have to hard power off. I need help, thanks.
Right click extremely slow! in General Support
I have this problem since windows 8 (I now have 8.1). Whenever I right click on anything; it takes about half a minute to bring up the menu. This is frustrating to say the least. Anyone experiencing the same problem?
Extractions extremely slow for some reason! in Performance & Maintenance
I usually keep my game setups in rar formats and that saves me a lot of space over all and just recently (couple of weeks ago i think) i extracted an 8gig file within a few minutes without any problems but now i just tried to extract 4 files of 4,588,544 KB each and it says 3H:28 mins. This is a...
Solved WiFi extremely slow in Network & Sharing
I'm on a Toshiba Satellite C870-1HN; WiFi adapter: Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E network interface; OS: Windows 8.1 Home; Brand new laptop. 95% of the time I cannot do anything on the network: I can't browse the internet, I can't transfer files between this laptop and another...
Extremely slow download speed. in Network & Sharing
Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 my download speed has been drastically slow. The difference is with most people is that my connectivity is fine, the bars are all highlighted in the icon. I can easily jump from one page to another w/o any connection issues. It's just when I download files - no...
Extremely slow startup in Performance & Maintenance
I installed Windows 8 RTM as an upgrade to Win 7 64 ultimate. All went smoothly other than getting a couple of existing programs to play nice. Now, windows loads up to the start very quickly and then slows to a dead crawl while it loads a couple of apps I put in startup - I mean about two...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook