Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Default Gateway is not available

  1. #21


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by jamesherbie View Post
    Hi there,

    I'm having trouble keeping my lenovo laptop (running windows 8) connected to the internet, and hoped someone might be able to help. I have been able to connect successfully to multiple wireless networks and access the internet until I tried to connect to the new network.

    Initially everything is OK - I can connect to the network and access the internet. However after a short period of time (anywhere from a few seconds to 20 minutes) the network connection will change to limited, without internet access. If I simply disconnect and reconnect to the network the internet will immediately be working again (at least for a few seconds/minutes).

    Alternatively, if I run the troubleshooter, I always get the message that the default gateway is not available, which has been fixed by resetting the wi-fi adapter.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there's any more information you need.
    I have been having the exact same issue now for about a month. I am on an HP Photosmart though from what I see described here and in the subsequent posts this seems to be a cross platform issue. I have rolled back drivers, hunted down supposedly newer ones, verified WPA2-AES, uninstalled and re-installed drives etc but nothing seems to have remedied the issue. HP, Google, Intel and Windows have been no help.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 1
    windows 8


    i, too am having trouble keeping Lenovo on line - arbitrarily drops me off - I tried the device manager - but do not have a d-link option to right click on - only have two bluetooth; intel centrino, and atheros - am unsure which, if any, I should right click on - this intermittent internet access has gotten VERY old - I have same problem on windows 8 Asus computer - but have not yet tried device manager on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 1
    windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Roadturn View Post
    Encryption is WPA-WPA2 Personal. That should be fine, yes? Channel was set to auto-detect. Switched to 1. In the Windows 7 forum, I saw mention of having too many tunnel adaptors. You don't think that is a factor here? Thank you for the response, Josh.
    thank you Roadturn, your method solve my problem. when i get a new net wire, i will try update router firmware, maybe after update the firmware, no longer need to set to WPA.
    anyway, thank you for your method! =)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Not to discourage anyone here, but I've been having these exact problems for about two years now, and I have done everything anyone has suggestes on any website on the internet and nothing has ever worked for longer than a day. Which eventually brings me to the conclusion that I am probably dealing with a faulty hardware device, perhaps the network card somehow got corrupted.

    Anyhow, I just wanted to stay in touch with this thread in the unlikely event a permanent solution would be found, and suggest that you guys try and up the " Buffers Received" number in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Propperties of you're wifi adapter > Configure > Advanced > Receive Buffers. I think its standard on 256, and I set it to the maximum, 512. This seemed to work on a short term, but it seems as if every prossible solution I've tried works like an antibiotic: At first it works great, but after a while the same problem slowly returns, until you're back at the beginning.

    Good luck,

    Leonard
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 1
    windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardGent View Post
    Not to discourage anyone here, but I've been having these exact problems for about two years now, and I have done everything anyone has suggestes on any website on the internet and nothing has ever worked for longer than a day. Which eventually brings me to the conclusion that I am probably dealing with a faulty hardware device, perhaps the network card somehow got corrupted.

    Anyhow, I just wanted to stay in touch with this thread in the unlikely event a permanent solution would be found, and suggest that you guys try and up the " Buffers Received" number in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Propperties of you're wifi adapter > Configure > Advanced > Receive Buffers. I think its standard on 256, and I set it to the maximum, 512. This seemed to work on a short term, but it seems as if every prossible solution I've tried works like an antibiotic: At first it works great, but after a while the same problem slowly returns, until you're back at the beginning.

    Good luck,

    Leonard
    I've also been advised it was hardware related by a IT guys from my ISP and it has to do with my network card. My connection randomly drop off whether I'm on ethernet or wireless connection. All computer where I live work well on the same internet connection.

    But when Windows is troubleshooting they say it's got to do with default gateway, and when it fixes it the connection starts back on until it goes back off.

    Very intriguing!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8 x64


    I had a similar issue. Try to restart you DHCP service in the Service Administration.
    If it takes several seconds to restart the process there is an issue with the dependencies.
    I changed the Lon On user to sytem account and pressed OK.
    After this I returned it to "Local Service" where the password MUST be empty!

    Now the restart of the DHCP and it's dependencies works within 3 seconds.

    You can try the solutions by entering ipconfig /renew in a console window.

    This will enquire a new DHCP address and show the result. This should be fast (3 seconds).

    Good luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by fk021772 View Post
    I had a similar issue. Try to restart you DHCP service in the Service Administration.
    If it takes several seconds to restart the process there is an issue with the dependencies.
    I changed the Lon On user to sytem account and pressed OK.
    After this I returned it to "Local Service" where the password MUST be empty!

    Now the restart of the DHCP and it's dependencies works within 3 seconds.

    You can try the solutions by entering ipconfig /renew in a console window.

    This will enquire a new DHCP address and show the result. This should be fast (3 seconds).

    Good luck!
    I had been having the same issues as the original post, and wanted to share that fk021772's resolution here solved the issue for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by kcepnosaj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fk021772 View Post
    I had a similar issue. Try to restart you DHCP service in the Service Administration.
    If it takes several seconds to restart the process there is an issue with the dependencies.
    I changed the Lon On user to sytem account and pressed OK.
    After this I returned it to "Local Service" where the password MUST be empty!

    Now the restart of the DHCP and it's dependencies works within 3 seconds.

    You can try the solutions by entering ipconfig /renew in a console window.

    This will enquire a new DHCP address and show the result. This should be fast (3 seconds).

    Good luck!
    I had been having the same issues as the original post, and wanted to share that fk021772's resolution here solved the issue for me.
    Correction -- fk021772's resolution above did NOT solve my issue (it came right back about a day later). I think I have finally identified the culprit, i uninstalled all McAfee components that came pre-installed on my laptop; I'm now two days free of that stupid issue!

    Hope that helps others.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by kcepnosaj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcepnosaj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fk021772 View Post
    I had a similar issue. Try to restart you DHCP service in the Service Administration.
    If it takes several seconds to restart the process there is an issue with the dependencies.
    I changed the Lon On user to sytem account and pressed OK.
    After this I returned it to "Local Service" where the password MUST be empty!

    Now the restart of the DHCP and it's dependencies works within 3 seconds.

    You can try the solutions by entering ipconfig /renew in a console window.

    This will enquire a new DHCP address and show the result. This should be fast (3 seconds).

    Good luck!
    I had been having the same issues as the original post, and wanted to share that fk021772's resolution here solved the issue for me.
    Correction -- fk021772's resolution above did NOT solve my issue (it came right back about a day later). I think I have finally identified the culprit, i uninstalled all McAfee components that came pre-installed on my laptop; I'm now two days free of that stupid issue!

    Hope that helps others.
    Update -- 5 days later, issue is still resolved!! Definitely related to McAfee.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1


    Still hoping for a solid answer. Managed to get Lenovo to replace both my mother board and network card. No trace of McAfee any where and none of the other solutions have helped. Sometimes I will go a day or two without a problem but generally once or twice a day suddenly no internet while my wife sits next to me with her Mac plugging along never dropping a connection.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Default Gateway is not available
Related Threads
Like everyone else that has this problem, my Internet disconnects at irregular time intervals. The Internet only works intermittently. It's worth noting that this problem occurs only with MY device and not with any others. I'd like help. I'm using an Ethernet cable to talk to you right now.
Quite often (up to every 15 mins) my HP Folio 13 netbook running Windows 8.1 Pro will loose Wifi connectivity. I have 4 other devices (1 x Windows 7 laptop, 2 x Android phones, and 1 PS3) which do not have any problems connecting to the wireless router. When this occurs I cannot ping the default...
Gateway Default not Available. in Network & Sharing
Hey everyone, my Internet has been getting this issue for a while now (about once a day) where it would start getting all sporadic and turn off for whatever technical reason. I try to troubleshoot the problem but whenever I do, it starts disconnecting again about 30 seconds later. If anyone...
Default Gateway Not Available in Network & Sharing
After update to Win8.1 my internet connect keeps disconnecting. Hard land wire (Ethernet) and wireless connections does this. I've already switch modems/routers. Tech came out everything outside looks good. Getting message Default Gateway Not Available. Microsoft Windows (c) 2013 Microsoft...
Default Gateway Not Available in Network & Sharing
Running Win 8.1 SBG6580 Modem Updated wifi driver Toshiba Laptop Any idea of where I can start. It runs fine then all of a sudden will stop. Phones, xbox, tablets, chromecast, other laptops all work fine.
Solved Default gateway not available in Network & Sharing
Hello, I've recently begun encountering connectivity problems. Seemingly randomly, the wifi connection becomes limited and webpages/games time out. Whenever I repair the connection it is always at the "reset wi-fi adapter" step that it seems to resolve the issue. Steps I've taken thus...
Default Gateway not available in Network & Sharing
I've seen a few posts like this, but none of the solutions in those posts have worked for me. So here it goes: For the last week or so, I've been having issues with my ASUS notebook disconnecting from my wireless network or having a limited connection. This would happen maybe twice a day, but...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook