Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

WPS

  1. #1


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8

    WPS


    On Windows 7 I used to have an option to use the WPS button on the router to setup wifi but I am unable to find that option in Windows 8. Is this still an option and if so where is it located?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts : 173
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    I haven't set up wireless via WPS on any of my machines yet but I believe if you have the WPS beacon active (that is you pressed the button or did whatever was required) then when you select your network from the list, it will ask you for the WPS code.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    for me when i first click to connect to a wireless network on my win8 computer i was asked to now click the WPS button on the router ,so i run down the hall and push the button ,by the time i get back to win8 computer it is connected ,looking for my security key password .that's it ,win8 will not look to do this until you click on to connect to a network
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Lynnwood, WA
    Posts : 173
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    Try it in the reverse order. The WPS timeout is like 30 seconds so unless your hallways is half a KM (see how I did that since you're Canadian!? lol) long that shouldn't be a problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by JLyman View Post
    Try it in the reverse order. The WPS timeout is like 30 seconds so unless your hallways is half a KM (see how I did that since you're Canadian!? lol) long that shouldn't be a problem.
    lol ,yeah almost 1/2 k
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 8
    Windows 8


    Ok. So there is no way to force it to try connecting via WPS? That sucks. Thanks for the help though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty017 View Post
    Ok. So there is no way to force it to try connecting via WPS? That sucks. Thanks for the help though.
    im not sure ,i guess my understanding or WPS is different than yours ,for me its a one time push of a button on the router when i connect a different computer to mt wireless router ,
    are you meaning wpa/wep security perhaps
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty017 View Post
    Ok. So there is no way to force it to try connecting via WPS? That sucks. Thanks for the help though.
    im not sure ,i guess my understanding or WPS is different than yours ,for me its a one time push of a button on the router when i connect a different computer to mt wireless router ,
    are you meaning wpa/wep security perhaps
    Yes...that's correct...the WPS button is a quick connect feature that bypass's the manual inputting of the SSID and password for devices that support it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    ...the key word is 'protected'
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty017 View Post
    Ok. So there is no way to force it to try connecting via WPS? That sucks. Thanks for the help though.
    im not sure ,i guess my understanding or WPS is different than yours ,for me its a one time push of a button on the router when i connect a different computer to mt wireless router ,
    are you meaning wpa/wep security perhaps
    Yes...that's correct...the WPS button is a quick connect feature that bypass's the manual inputting of the SSID and password for devices that support it.
    i do understand that ,i just dont under stand why the OP would want to force it to connect or why he would have to force it ,its a one time use on the computers i tried to connect to my wireless ,and it gave me no choice but to push the button to connect .
    Ok. So there is no way to force it to try connecting via WPS? .
    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WPS
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook