Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Internet connection drops every couple of minutes

  1. #21


    Where The Wild Things Are...
    Posts : 222
    Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 8 Pro


    Try switching to a channel that's free with no other users. However I'm pretty sure the problem your experiencing has to do with driver updates. As I mentioned earlier it would be helpful if you knew the make/model of the laptop your using.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Try switching to a channel that's free with no other users. However I'm pretty sure the problem your experiencing has to do with driver updates. As I mentioned earlier it would be helpful if you knew the make/model of the laptop your using.
    So how do I figure out the make/model of my laptop?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Well I'm using a WPA2-PSK security thing, what do you mean by channel?

    Also here's the ipconfig/all
    Channel as in the wireless channel which can be changed in your routers wireless set up page. Often times you need to change the channel in order to get away from channel overlap created by your neighbors connection.

    I'd have to see the Xirrus read out in order to help you with this.

    For testing it might also help to go into Device Manger and disable the Bluetooth Ethernet connection and the Msoft Virtual WiFi mini port adaptor.

    It also may help to switch to the 802.11n only setting in your routers wireless set up page.
    Well I don't know how to switch to the 802.11n only setting and in Device Manager I didn't see any Bluetooth Ethernet connection or Msoft virtual wifi mini port adaptor(I only saw Bluetooth "enumerators"). Also, I installed Xirrus and it's telling me that I'm on the same channel as only one other network, one at the very bottom is on the same channel as me (channel 2)
    The Bluetooth and Virtual WiFi adaptor are both located in Device Manager, you may need to go to View at the top of page then select "show hidden devices" you need to disable both of those for testing or you will be chasing your tail here all day long.

    In order to access your routers setting you will need to type 192.168.1.1 into the URL of your browser. I'd also like to see a screen shot of Xirrus.

    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Try switching to a channel that's free with no other users. However I'm pretty sure the problem your experiencing has to do with driver updates. As I mentioned earlier it would be helpful if you knew the make/model of the laptop your using.
    So how do I figure out the make/model of my laptop?
    Seriously> How to Find the Model of My Laptop Computer | eHow.com
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Okay well my system model is Inspiron 3520 and the Manufacturer is Dell Inc. - Also, is it one of these you want me to disable? (These are the only adapters/bluetooth that are there)
    Click image for larger version
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Is there some Bluetooth software installed on this machine? It looks like this machine has some built in Bluetooth software so maybe updating the drivers would help.

    I found some updated drivers for the Dell Wireless 1704 WLAN 802.11b/g/n NIC which are dated 10/22/12 .

    Driver Details | Dell United States
    Last edited by chev65; 09 Jan 2013 at 20:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Is there some Bluetooth software installed on this machine? It looks like this machine has some built in Bluetooth software so maybe updating the drivers would help.

    I found some updated drivers for the Dell Wireless 1704 WLAN 802.11b/g/n NIC which are dated 10/22/12 .

    Driver Details | Dell United States
    Tried installing that, didn't help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Hello, I have a new windows 8 laptop and every couple of minutes the internet connection goes to "limited" and if I simply disconnect and reconnect from the network it starts working again, but then disconnects again in about 5-10 minutes. This is extremely annoying and none of our Windows 7 computers do this. Some days it is worse than others. Can someone help me? Thanks.

    Hi there
    saying Windows 8 is a POS on a Windows 8 Forum and then asking for help doesn't actually do you any favours -- you should learn to be a better "Salesman" or "Politician" at times. Of course it's annoying when stuff doesn't work "Straight out of the box" but control your emotions as written comments always cause more reactions than the same comments spoken verbally.

    Wireless connections especially in the 2.4 GHZ band can be very unreliable as the traffic congestion increases --you might have interference from neigbours Wi-Fi systems or from your own smart phone(s) or other people near you.

    Try changing the channel on the router first -- Channel 11 is often fairly free.

    A better solution is to switch your Wi-Fi to 801-n on the 5 GHZ band --but your Wi-Fi receiver will have to be 5 GHZ capable.

    If you can't do this and you are stuck on the 2.4 GHZ band and the channel change doesn't work --get a REPEATER which will boost the signal. This should swamp any interference from other people using Wi-Fi near you.

    (Next time phrase the question slightly differently --It's only because I'm waiting for my breakfast and am twiddling my thumbs that I've even bothered replying).

    W8 does have some bad points and some good one's too. Not liking it doesn't actually make it a POS.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Okay well my system model is Inspiron 3520 and the Manufacturer is Dell Inc. - Also, is it one of these you want me to disable? (These are the only adapters/bluetooth that are there)
    I still need to see the Xirrus screen shot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Hello, I have a new windows 8 laptop and every couple of minutes the internet connection goes to "limited" and if I simply disconnect and reconnect from the network it starts working again, but then disconnects again in about 5-10 minutes. This is extremely annoying and none of our Windows 7 computers do this. Some days it is worse than others. Can someone help me? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post


    Hi there
    saying Windows 8 is a POS on a Windows 8 Forum and then asking for help doesn't actually do you any favours -- you should learn to be a better "Salesman" or "Politician" at times. Of course it's annoying when stuff doesn't work "Straight out of the box" but control your emotions as written comments always cause more reactions than the same comments spoken verbally.

    Wireless connections especially in the 2.4 GHZ band can be very unreliable as the traffic congestion increases --you might have interference from neigbours Wi-Fi systems or from your own smart phone(s) or other people near you.

    Try changing the channel on the router first -- Channel 11 is often fairly free.

    A better solution is to switch your Wi-Fi to 801-n on the 5 GHZ band --but your Wi-Fi receiver will have to be 5 GHZ capable.

    If you can't do this and you are stuck on the 2.4 GHZ band and the channel change doesn't work --get a REPEATER which will boost the signal. This should swamp any interference from other people using Wi-Fi near you.

    (Next time phrase the question slightly differently --It's only because I'm waiting for my breakfast and am twiddling my thumbs that I've even bothered replying).

    W8 does have some bad points and some good one's too. Not liking it doesn't actually make it a POS.

    Cheers
    jimbo

    Criticizing me because I have an opinion doesn't help me at all, buddy. Also, I think my question was phrased pretty well, I don't see anything wrong with it -- you should learn to be a better "helper" (or at least click this, it should help you out a bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alext180 View Post
    Okay well my system model is Inspiron 3520 and the Manufacturer is Dell Inc. - Also, is it one of these you want me to disable? (These are the only adapters/bluetooth that are there)
    I still need to see the Xirrus screen shot.
    Click image for larger version
    I'm the only one on my channel (2)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Is this router capable of using wireless n ? If so you need to go into the routers settings and change to 802.11n setting. Your laptop is capable of working with the 802.11n standard so you definitely will want to change to the 802.11n Only setting if possible.

    If you can't change that setting to N then you might try to update the firmware on this router. Any router that can only handle G will most likely require a firmware update for Windows 8. Hopefully this router can handle the wireless N setting.

    I would also change the channel to either 1 or 11.

    Don't let Jimbo bother you, he tends to go a bit overboard at times.

    I realized your comment was based on frustration so no big deal for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Internet connection drops every couple of minutes
Related Threads
I have just yesterday downloaded Windows 8.1 to my machine. Since then my computer loses its network connection often, and I have to reconnect via "Connect to a Network." This is quite annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Windows 8.1 ITA 64bit When I connect to a specific remote server (hosted on Amazon) my connection drops after about 60 seconds. That is: - Putty: after 60 seconds (idle / non idle) connection drops (PuTTy window status: inactive, PuTTy popup error: "Network error: Software caused connection...
My computer always gives me the warning sign that I have limited connection about every ten minutes. I then trouble shoot it with (what else) windows trouble shooter. It fixes it self saying "The default gateway is not available." With the "Fixed" sign to the right. Then 10 mins later its down...
Well, my first real problem with 8.1, my bluetooth mouse drops connection about every 15-20 minutes. Turn it off and back on it reconnects. A search of the web shows other people with same problem. I've tried everything I know of, power settings for bluetooth the mouse and usb ports, drivers,...
Windows 8.1, Toshiba Satellite L745 It was originally windows 7, then I upgrade to 8, then the 8.1 preview evaluation copy. I think I started having sound issues when I went to 8.1. I will play for a couple minutes then cut out. If I pause for a few seconds then play the sound works for a few...
Hello everyone, i'm getting this problem in some days ago, tried alot of things to solve but without sucess :cry: Well, i use a usb Wireless adapter to acess the internet, and my signal is always good. The connection works fine too. But in some sites (more specifically in a flash video player...
Hello My first post in this forum, and already a tough one ! I'm having problems with my Atheros AR9271 Network wireless adapter. Ok let's begin ! So I had W7 Home premium and decided to upgrade to 8. the whole upgrade went like a charm, I kept all my files and programs, and I had the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook