Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Disk Managment Untitled Partitions

  1. #1


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1

    Disk Managment Untitled Partitions


    I was planning to dual boot my Windows 8.1 computer with Ubuntu, and I need to create a new disk partition to do that. I have a partition called LENOVO (D:), that has no data on it at all, which I removed, formatted, and then made a new partition there called Linux (D:). However, that partition only had 4GB of space on it, and I need more space than that. There are, in Disk Management, 4 other drives that are not titled, and I can't do anything with them. One of these partitions has 11.4GB on it, so I could use that, but it has no title, and when I right click on it, the only thing that comes up is "Help", and when I click on "Help" it takes me to Microsoft's Disk Management help page, which doesn't have any helpful information on it. What is this partition, and how can I format it so I can use for my installation? Thank you for any possible help, and I will try to answer any questions asked about my system.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    The 4 partitions don't have titles are probably the Recovery/Boot Partitions and if you mess with them, you will break Windows. The 11.4GB partition probably is the Factory Recovery Partition and contains the original Windows 8 if you have a need to refresh/reset Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    The 4 partitions don't have titles are probably the Recovery/Boot Partitions and if you mess with them, you will break Windows. The 11.4GB partition probably is the Factory Recovery Partition and contains the original Windows 8 if you have a need to refresh/reset Windows 8.
    So I can't use these for my new installation? If not, then are there any ways that I can add space to my current 4GB partition?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    I have a partition called LENOVO (D, that has no data on it at all, which I removed, formatted, and then made a new partition there called Linux (D.
    It's not done this way. You are creating Windows filesystem partitions -- but Linux needs a Linux filesystem partition, which you can NOT create with Disk Management.

    You create the Linux filesystem partition either with the Linux installer, or you boot from an installer USB/DVD and use GParted to create that partition.

    But ... the problem is, if you have an MBR-formatted drive, there is a hard maximum of 4 upper-level partitions on that drive (4 primary or 4 primary + 1 Extended), and since you already appear to have 4, you can NOT create any more. If you force that with Disk Management, it will automatically convert ALL your partitions into Dynamic Disks -- which then will be difficult to repair.

    However, since your PC came with Win8.1 already installed, it's very likely you have a GPT-formatted drive, which is NOT subject to the partitioning limitations of MBR-formatted drives.

    You need to determine which way your drive has been formatted before proceeding.

    You are also likely to have UEFI instead of BIOS -- and that introduces new complications that I'm not able to address, seeing as I don't work with UEFI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by kungfushark View Post
    So I can't use these for my new installation? If not, then are there any ways that I can add space to my current 4GB partition?
    Not if it's a Windows filesystem formatted partition, no -- not for Linux installation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfushark View Post
    So I can't use these for my new installation? If not, then are there any ways that I can add space to my current 4GB partition?
    Not if it's a Windows filesystem formatted partition, no -- not for Linux installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I have a partition called LENOVO (D, that has no data on it at all, which I removed, formatted, and then made a new partition there called Linux (D.
    It's not done this way. You are creating Windows filesystem partitions -- but Linux needs a Linux filesystem partition, which you can NOT create with Disk Management.

    You create the Linux filesystem partition either with the Linux installer, or you boot from an installer USB/DVD and use GParted to create that partition.

    But ... the problem is, if you have an MBR-formatted drive, there is a hard maximum of 4 upper-level partitions on that drive (4 primary or 4 primary + 1 Extended), and since you already appear to have 4, you can NOT create any more. If you force that with Disk Management, it will automatically convert ALL your partitions into Dynamic Disks -- which then will be difficult to repair.

    However, since your PC came with Win8.1 already installed, it's very likely you have a GPT-formatted drive, which is NOT subject to the partitioning limitations of MBR-formatted drives.

    You need to determine which way your drive has been formatted before proceeding.

    You are also likely to have UEFI instead of BIOS -- and that introduces new complications that I'm not able to address, seeing as I don't work with UEFI.
    So I don't care about the Linux file systems. I will install Linux on those partitions later. What I care about is "How do I make an existing partition bigger." I have storage space on my computer for the partition I am trying to create. I currently have a 4GB partition, and I would like to turn it into a 10GB partition. How do I do this? Please do not address this question as though it is about Linux.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    First, you did not fill out your system spec so we don't know what you have in your Laptop, what capacity is your HD ? At least post a screen shot of the Disk Management then we'll have some idea to help you.
    Last edited by topgundcp; 01 Jun 2015 at 19:39.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    First, you did not fill out your system spec so we don't know what you have in your Laptop, what capicity is your HD ? At least post a screen shot of the Disk Management then we'll have some idea to help you.
    What do you mean by "fill out your system specs"? I do have a screenshot, however.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    OK, I can see them now. The first 3 partitions are reserved recovery partitions and in addition, there's a hidden unallocated partition of 128MB which disk management does not show. So total is ~ 3GB that you cannot touch. The only reserved partition that you can use is the last one 11.4 GB. However, you'll have to use an external USB to create a USB Recovery disk for possible future recovery back to the original Windows 8 that came with your Laptop. To make a Recovery USB: Control Panel->Recovery
    After creating the Recovery USB, you can delete this partition and merge it with the 4GB then you'll have ~15.4 GB available.

    EDIT: If you cannot delete the partition thru Disk Management the you'd have to use "diskpart" from the Admin Command prompt to delete it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    OK, I can see them now. The first 3 partitions are reserved recovery partitions and in addition, there's a hidden unallocated partition of 128MB which disk management does not show. So total is ~ 3GB that you cannot touch. The only reserved partition that you can use is the last one 11.4 GB. However, you'll have to use an external USB to create a USB Recovery disk for possible future recovery back to the original Windows 8 that came with your Laptop. To make a Recovery USB: Control Panel->Recovery
    After creating the Recovery USB, you can delete this partition and merge it with the 4GB then you'll have ~15.4 GB available.

    EDIT: If you cannot delete the partition thru Disk Management the you'd have to use "diskpart" from the Admin Command prompt to delete it.
    I do not have an external drive with 11.4GB of space on it, so are there any other options, or am I going to be at Best Buy tomorrow getting a drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disk Managment Untitled Partitions
Related Threads
I'm currently trying to increase the disk space on my computer. I know that you can shrink or delete unnecessary disk partitions, but I've never done it myself and I'm not sure which ones (other than C, of course) are safe to mess with: 59676 Three are labeled as recovery partitions, and one is...
Look at this screenshot and tell me how to get one partition instead F and H. 53842 Easeus needs bigger drive. to backup to. I think the one large one is unallocated. shown as disk 8. The way windows sees my external usb drive.
Hello All. :D The other day I purchased a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD for my ASUS N550JK laptop. My laptop's drive configuration (before replacing the drive with my new SSD) was the following: C: Samsung 830 256 GB SSD (OS, SATA Disk 1) D: HGST Travelstar 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD (DATA, SATA Disk...
Win8 disk partitions in Installation & Setup
NEED Help! My english is weak. Recently, i installed Win8 x64 but had repeat the whole process again, because IDE/AHCI drive setting:mad:!! My question is: Can I have my OS without some partitions? I mean, can I divide my drive(HDD) like in good old days: System reserved 350MB, Drive C:....etc....
Solved No disk partitions showing in Installation & Setup
Hi all, Having a lot of problems with a new Dell XPS 15 (L521X) which I finally got to boot after upgrading the RAM and it hanging on boot up. Once I got that fixed I decided I wanted to create an extra partition for dropbox to sit on. I used EASEUS Partition Master to split the 750GB main...
I installed Windows 8 with UEFI enabled in BIOS on a GPT SSD disk and was curious about the partitions the installation created. The disk was clean with no partitions before installing. (Note: I split the main partition afterwards so ignore the last partition in these screen shots). Windows 8...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook