Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Unable to boot dual os in win 8.1

  1. #11


    Posts : 8
    windows 8.1 single language x64


    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyemaverick View Post
    i tried to dual boot in my laptop when i tried to install windows 7. it says "windows cannot be installed in this disk due to GPT partition " .
    Boot in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

    Quote from this post:

    Error message when you boot in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

    - Boot in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
    - But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.



    Error message when you boot in UEFI Boot Mode: Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

    - Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
    - But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

    2. How to create UEFI Boot Mode compatible Windows 7/8 64-bit USB flash drive, which is only bootable in UEFI Boot Mode.

    - Download and run the Rufus program.
    - Connect your USB flash drive.
    - Click on the browse icon and select your Windows 7/8 64-bit ISO image file.
    - Under Partition scheme and target system type, select GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer.
    - Under File system, select FAT32.
    - The default Cluster size setting is automatically detected, so do not change the setting.
    - Click on Start button.

    how to find my windows 8.1 single language product key ?????/

    i need windows 8.1 product key to download backup copy from Microsoft site.since I've original os not the pirated one

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    There is no need to install Windows 8.1 on your machine, because you can install Windows 7 64-bit in UEFI boot mode.

    Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style): link

    If you have an OEM PC that came with Windows 8/8.1 64-bit preinstalled and you want to install Windows 7 64-bit, then you must disable Secure Boot, because Secure Boot is not compatible with Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    The Product Key is embedded in the BIOS of your Laptop. Windows installation will read and activate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 8
    windows 8.1 single language x64


    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skyemaverick View Post
    i tried to dual boot in my laptop when i tried to install windows 7. it says "windows cannot be installed in this disk due to GPT partition " .
    Boot in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

    Quote from this post:

    Error message when you boot in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

    - Boot in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
    - But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.



    Error message when you boot in UEFI Boot Mode: Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

    - Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
    - But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

    2. How to create UEFI Boot Mode compatible Windows 7/8 64-bit USB flash drive, which is only bootable in UEFI Boot Mode.

    - Download and run the Rufus program.
    - Connect your USB flash drive.
    - Click on the browse icon and select your Windows 7/8 64-bit ISO image file.
    - Under Partition scheme and target system type, select GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer.
    - Under File system, select FAT32.
    - The default Cluster size setting is automatically detected, so do not change the setting.
    - Click on Start button.


    when i enter my product key it shows as
    Last edited by skyemaverick; 28 Apr 2015 at 14:47.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    First, try to install Windows 7 64-bit in UEFI boot mode.

    edit:

    If Windows 7 64-bit installation does not succeed in UEFI boot mode, then clean install Windows 8.1 Single Language and Windows 7 in Legacy BIOS boot mode.

    How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link

    edit:

    Lenovo UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings, when you install Windows 7 and Windows 8 in Legacy BIOS boot mode.
    - Exit; OS Optimized Defaults: Other OS (default is Win8 64bit)
    - Boot; Boot Mode: Legacy Support (default is UEFI)
    - Security; Secure Boot: Disabled (default is Enabled)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    If that is a valid product key, I would not display it here where the whole world can pick it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 8
    windows 8.1 single language x64


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If that is a valid product key, I would not display it here where the whole world can pick it.
    the one which i displayed is just an example.
    its not the valid key
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    OK, peace.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    First, try to install Windows 7 64-bit in UEFI boot mode.

    edit:

    If Windows 7 64-bit installation does not succeed in UEFI boot mode, then clean install Windows 8.1 Single Language and Windows 7 in Legacy BIOS boot mode.

    How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link

    edit:

    Lenovo UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings, when you install Windows 7 and Windows 8 in Legacy BIOS boot mode.
    - Exit; OS Optimized Defaults: Other OS (default is Win8 64bit)
    - Boot; Boot Mode: Legacy Support (default is UEFI)
    - Security; Secure Boot: Disabled (default is Enabled)
    Yes I agree with genet, you just need to install window 7 in UEFI to do this you need a Windows 7 SP1 64bit. Versions earlier than SP1 do not support UEFI.

    If you going to run Win 8.1 in MBR you might be just as well off to just run Window 7
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Unable to boot dual os in win 8.1
Related Threads
Hi I have followed the tutorial by Brink but aI cannot shrink the C drive where win 7 is located. I am trying to set up a dual boot for win 7 and win 8 Using disk management I have tried to shrink the drive where I want to install the Win 8 by 30,000 MB but shrink box is greyed out....
Have been checking different posts and sites for an answer to my problem and have found none that work. My machine is an Asus t200ta with Win 8.1 and uefi. I can turn off secure boot and change the boot order to boot from my external flash drive. When I go save settings my machine says "Preparing...
I've been dual booting both 7 and 8x for years, and both have been reinstalled as upgrade in-place repairs, and as far as 8 is, concerned, upgraded several times. I have always preferred the text mode, legacy boot menus, not least because they do not warm reboot when an OS which is not windows...
Hi I recently felt the urge to experiment with Linux and installed Ubuntu Mint and tried to set up dual booting. However I seem to have only suceeded in preventing Windows booting at all. I cannot get into the recovery drive to undo my wrong doing. How can I reset the windows boot manager...
My computer has Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on an SSD. It's that free Windows 8DL MS offered before Windows 8 was released. My son did the 8.1 upgrade. This is the boot drive. The second OS is Windows 7 Ult. x64 on an HHD. Until last week, the SSD had Windows 7, and 8 was on the HDD. The SSD is...
I cloned my existing Windows installation (8.1 pro, 32 bit) onto my new SSD. I got everything up and running, and I still have my old Windows installation on one of the partitions of my HDD. Can I turn this setup into a dual boot? I think this could be useful, in case the new installation gets...
On both my Win7/Win8 Dual Boot machines I have now lost both my Advanced Boot Options and System Recovery Options on F8. I cannot boot F8 after BIOS post or after selecting either OS from the Metro-style Boot Menu. I tried running Refresh just now on my deskstop but it didn't reinstall these...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook