Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Replace the HDD with SSD, And install Windows

  1. #1


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1

    Replace the HDD with SSD, And install Windows


    Hi
    I've bought an SSD.
    I want to replace my HDD with SSD.
    And I want to install a fresh Windows on it, using the recovery driver (It is on the HDD).
    Please help me to do it.
    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    https://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch....o+install+UEFI your better off clean installing

    If you wan to to use the recovery partition, the download Asus Backtracker get the latest version and create a recover media USB I think a 16GB will be big enough. Here is a link that shows you how to use it and a link to download the program.

    If you go with a clean install go get your hardware drivers from Asus Support Download
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro x64


    +1 to the clean install. That will get you a much quicker experience and make the SSD that much more worth your money. Basically, if you know enough to open your laptop and install the SSD, you can do a clean install . Clintlgm has given perfect directions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    https://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch....o+install+UEFI your better off clean installing

    If you wan to to use the recovery partition, the download Asus Backtracker get the latest version and create a recover media USB I think a 16GB will be big enough. Here is a link that shows you how to use it and a link to download the program.

    If you go with a clean install go get your hardware drivers from Asus Support Download
    Thank you

    Attachment 60893


    A few months ago I got the laptop Factory Reset(post #31 in this topic):
    I Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 and Windows Recovery not work


    And please read post #57 on it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltesespace View Post
    +1 to the clean install. That will get you a much quicker experience and make the SSD that much more worth your money. Basically, if you know enough to open your laptop and install the SSD, you can do a clean install . Clintlgm has given perfect directions.
    Thank you
    I can replace the hard drive, But I have problem to install Windows(How to Format, How to install Windows, how to...)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by MasoudM View Post
    I can replace the hard drive, But I have problem to install Windows(How to Format, How to install Windows, how to...)
    How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link

    Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 8.1 will begin. All the required partitions are created automatically during the install.

    Or, if you know what you're doing, you can click on the "New" button.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    After Factory Reset the laptop, I got backup from 16GB USB Flash


    Now I can use it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by MasoudM View Post
    After Factory Reset the laptop, I got backup from 16GB USB Flash

    Now I can use it?
    How to install Windows 8 to a blank hard drive from the Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive.

    If you have created a Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive by selecting the option "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" (see screenshot below).



    - You do not need to change the boot order of drives in your computer's UEFI firmware (BIOS).
    - You do not need to disable Secure Boot in your computer's UEFI firmware (BIOS).
    - Connect your Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive.
    - Restart the computer.
    - Press the correct key to enter the boot menu (see this link for help).
    - Select your USB flash drive from the boot menu.
    - Select your language and keyboard layout (if displayed).
    - Select the "Troubleshoot" option.
    - Select the Reset your PC option.

    When you see the question "Do you want to repartition the drives on your PC? All your files will be removed." (see screenshot below), click on "Yes, repartition the drives".



    But if you receive the following error message: "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." or "Unable to reset your PC. The system drive cannot be found.", then the Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive is not able to automatically install Windows 8 to a blank hard drive.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MasoudM View Post
    After Factory Reset the laptop, I got backup from 16GB USB Flash

    Now I can use it?
    How to install Windows 8 to a blank hard drive from the Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive.

    If you have created a Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive by selecting the option "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" (see screenshot below).



    - You do not need to change the boot order of drives in your computer's UEFI firmware (BIOS).
    - You do not need to disable Secure Boot in your computer's UEFI firmware (BIOS).
    - Connect your Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive.
    - Restart the computer.
    - Press the correct key to enter the boot menu (see this link for help).
    - Select your USB flash drive from the boot menu.
    - Select your language and keyboard layout (if displayed).
    - Select the "Troubleshoot" option.
    - Select the Reset your PC option.

    When you see the question "Do you want to repartition the drives on your PC? All your files will be removed." (see screenshot below), click on "Yes, repartition the drives".



    But if you receive the following error message: "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." or "Unable to reset your PC. The system drive cannot be found.", then the Windows 8 recovery USB flash drive is not able to automatically install Windows 8 to a blank hard drive.


    Thank you very muchI do it, But did not find SSD!!!
    I did not format it
    Should I format it with a GPT or MBR?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by MasoudM View Post
    I do it, But did not find SSD!!!
    I did not format it
    Should I format it with a GPT or MBR?
    Don't manually format the SSD, let Windows do it automatically during the install process.

    Can you see the SSD in Diskpart? (see screenshot below)

    - Boot the computer using the Windows 8 Recovery USB flash drive.
    - select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

    Run the following commands at the command prompt.

    diskpart
    list disk

    Click image for larger version

    If yes, then close the command prompt and...

    - Select the "Troubleshoot" option.
    - Select the Reset your PC option.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    This is why I am not a computer tech of any kind except for myself and family
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Replace the HDD with SSD, And install Windows
Related Threads
Hi. I think I have replaced my original windows 8.1 64 with a fake one. The scenario of what I did is given below: I purchased a new hp laptop with original windows 8.1 64 preinstalled. I downloaded Microsoft office with toolkit from torrent because I did not want to buy ms office. First I...
As everyone knows, XP Pro will be obsolete the first week of April. I have been looking at Windows8 as my chosen replacement but how do I verify or make certain my existing programs like Photoshop 6.0 (it's a 13 year old software but works for my business), Norton360 and others are going to be...
Read more at: Google?s latest Chrome release tries to replace the Windows 8 desktop | ZDNet See also: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13732-chrome-browser-toggle-between-desktop-windows-8-mode.html
I Made a windows replacement shell and dont know how to make it startup insted of explorer I want to replace that where can i find where to put it in regedit but when i type explorer just a lot of numbers and lettles how can i replace that. I know how to do it in windows xp but not windows 8,...
So I have Acer laptop with wireless adapter that has driver in windows 8 install media and that driver causes BSOD during install.. and install never completes it just says you need to start it all over again. My question would be is there any good way to modify windows install media dvd or iso...
I tried enabling BitLocker on my C: drive, and before I got to any BitLocker setup, a window appeared that said Windows Recovery Environment was being moved, and "You will no longer be able to use Windows Recovery Environment unless it is manually enabled and moved to the system drive." It was the...
Hi folks, Is it possible to replace the Explorer.exe in Windows Developer Preview without making Windows to shut down the new Explorer.exe? The problem is: Windows is checking if the Explorer.exe is genuine, and if it finds out that it isn`t, Windows doesn`t want to run the new Explorer.exe...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook