Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


"Some Files are Missing"-can't get ASUS recovery partition

  1. #1

    "Some Files are Missing"-can't get ASUS recovery partition


    Hello.
    I have an ASUS M32BF factory-installed Win8.1-64 that came with C (OS) & D (Data) partitions on a single GPT internal disk. The C partition was about 112GB and the D partition was 900-something GB. Well, I didn't want it partitioned that way - I wanted a larger C drive. I called ASUS to ask why they did that; the rep said I should keep all my data and installed programs on D so it would be easier if I ever refreshed. I told him that was ridiculous, because a refresh doesn't delete your files, but you still have to reinstall all your programs, no matter what partition everything was on. So, when I told him I just wanted a C drive and I was going to combine C+D to make it one big C drive, he said yes, I could do that. I decided to make a smaller D partition for a SysImage later (that's why you see D in the images below).

    So I did - with EASEUS Partition Manager. I see now that was a big mistake.

    Now I can't even create a recovery flash drive because "some files are missing". And their Backtracker program won't even install.

    I read much of the thread here
    Windows 8.1 Recovery - Could not find recovery environment

    and I (sort of) understand what happened. I am wondering if I can get my recovery partition designated correctly again? I saw some people were successful, but, since I have no idea what I'm doing, I was hoping one of the gurus here could walk me through my particular installation, step-by-step, so I don't mess it up any further?

    Click image for larger versionClick image for larger versionClick image for larger version

    Thanks very much.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 879
    Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Click image for larger version
    Windows 8.1 Recovery - Could not find recovery environment

    partition 1 - the Windows RE tools partition
    partition 6 - the Recovery image partition

    - You need to manually select the partition and change the partition ID.
    - Open an elevated command prompt and type (or copy and paste) the following commands:

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition 1
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    select partition 6
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    list partition
    exit
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    By adding (creating) the "D" partition you bumped back your recovery partition from 5 to 6

    This is ALSO what happens when you update windows 8 to windows 8.1 (an extra partition is created)

    You need to re-register the new recovery partition..

    Please open command prompt(admin)

    Type> reagentc /info

    you will notice a line>

    Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\RecoveryImage

    that line needs to read like this >

    Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage

    to re-register the proper location would type>

    Reagentc /setosimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage /index 1

    Note: Your Folder may not be "RecoveryImage" so just replace your folder name instead of "RecoveryImage"
    It is usually easier to Copy and Paste your location from cmd prompt and edit the partition number
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    Another Way :

    right click start flag > command prompt(admin)

    Type> diskpart

    type> select disk 0

    type> list volume

    you will see a lot of volumes without drive letters assigned..

    Now find the 10-20GB volume #

    type> select volume # (# being the volume number without a drive letter)

    type> assign letter=r

    you can now Browse thru R and find Install.wim or Install.swm(s) - those are your Factory recovery Images..

    type> exit (to exit diskpart)

    type> reagentc /disable

    type> Reagentc /Setosimage /Path R:\RecoveryImage /Target C:\Windows /Index 1

    assuming the install* file(s) are on "R" and in a folder called "RecoveryImage"
    Note: Change "drive letter" and "folder name" to suit your system setup

    type> reagentc /enable

    reboot PC
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Thank you both for your reply. I will try to fix tomorrow.
    Just to be clear: the computer came with Win8.1-64bit. It originally had C-OS (very small sized partition) + D-Data partitions (very large size). I combined C+D, then later decided I would like a smaller D partition for a system image, and so I added it back in.
    Will post back with results.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Austin TX metro area
    Posts : 640
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]


    In the long run, along with both system factory restore partition and the required reserved boot partition, would the OP be better off with almost a 50-50 C & D partitions? C for Windows OS & everything installed, D for all txt, doc, pics, downloads?
    Having a split between OS & installed AND data -- would make long term backing up and restoring less of a headache? Over the years, I have had to restore several times the Windows OS & programs C-partition; only had to restore data D-partition once ['cause HD failure].
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    By adding (creating) the "D" partition you bumped back your recovery partition from 5 to 6

    This is ALSO what happens when you update windows 8 to windows 8.1 (an extra partition is created)

    You need to re-register the new recovery partition..

    Please open command prompt(admin)

    Type> reagentc /info

    you will notice a line>

    Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\RecoveryImage

    that line needs to read like this >

    Recovery image location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage

    to re-register the proper location would type>

    Reagentc /setosimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\RecoveryImage /index 1

    Note: Your Folder may not be "RecoveryImage" so just replace your folder name instead of "RecoveryImage"
    It is usually easier to Copy and Paste your location from cmd prompt and edit the partition number

    I had an error with the reagentc /info command:Click image for larger version

    Now I am a little concerned as to what to do. See my partition list in my first post - the EASEUS screenshot - looks like I have 8 different sections?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    Another Way :

    right click start flag > command prompt(admin)

    Type> diskpart

    type> select disk 0

    type> list volume

    you will see a lot of volumes without drive letters assigned..

    Now find the 10-20GB volume #

    type> select volume # (# being the volume number without a drive letter)

    type> assign letter=r

    you can now Browse thru R and find Install.wim or Install.swm(s) - those are your Factory recovery Images..

    type> exit (to exit diskpart)

    type> reagentc /disable

    type> Reagentc /Setosimage /Path R:\RecoveryImage /Target C:\Windows /Index 1

    assuming the install* file(s) are on "R" and in a folder called "RecoveryImage"
    Note: Change "drive letter" and "folder name" to suit your system setup

    type> reagentc /enable

    reboot PC
    Here is my Install.wim file:

    Click image for larger version

    Do I need to be in DESKPART in order for reagentc command to work?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    Another Way :

    right click start flag > command prompt(admin)

    Type> diskpart

    type> select disk 0

    type> list volume

    you will see a lot of volumes without drive letters assigned..

    Now find the 10-20GB volume #

    type> select volume # (# being the volume number without a drive letter)

    type> assign letter=r

    you can now Browse thru R and find Install.wim or Install.swm(s) - those are your Factory recovery Images..

    type> exit (to exit diskpart)

    type> reagentc /disable

    type> Reagentc /Setosimage /Path R:\RecoveryImage /Target C:\Windows /Index 1

    assuming the install* file(s) are on "R" and in a folder called "RecoveryImage"
    Note: Change "drive letter" and "folder name" to suit your system setup

    type> reagentc /enable

    reboot PC
    When I list volume the recovery image is not shown for me?

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by genet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Click image for larger version
    Windows 8.1 Recovery - Could not find recovery environment

    partition 1 - the Windows RE tools partition
    partition 6 - the Recovery image partition

    - You need to manually select the partition and change the partition ID.
    - Open an elevated command prompt and type (or copy and paste) the following commands:

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition 1
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    select partition 6
    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    list partition
    exit

    Okay I followed your instructions here and this is now how it looks:

    Click image for larger version

    Is this correct now? Both partitions have the same id.

    And can I confirm that this has resolved the problem simply by trying to create a recovery flash drive?

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
"Some Files are Missing"-can't get ASUS recovery partition
Related Threads
Hello all! So, before creating a thread, I searched everywhere and found people with almost the same problem as me, but not equal. So I thought it would be better to request specific assistance before messing something up. Here's what's happening: I have this asus laptop for like 7 months,...
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
Hi guys, what do I do if the refresh install on W8.1 says that I'm missing files? I installed W8 from a retail disc and upgraded to 8.1 via Windows Update. I can't use the W8 disc, it says invalid media. Do I just follow the steps shown on the tutorial here? Thanks.
Hi, I have an Asus gaming laptop that I got off of Craigslist awhile back. It did not come with any factory disks. I'm trying to do a factory reset and it says "Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files." But I don't have any recovery media. Is...
it appears the old <F8> during boot to choose options doesn't work with this version (or I'm missing it), so I wonder exactly what the purpose of it is. Is it where the files are stored for a 'refresh'?
Hello, I'm trying to do a complete recovery of my Windows 8.1 laptop (The "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option). A few seconds after I try to initiate the recovery, I am stopped by a message that says: "Some Media Files are Missing Your Windows installation or recovery media will...
Hi, First of all, let me say that I understand written English, but very poorly written and would like to apologize ... Is it possible not to have the partition "recovery"? Because if you look at the two tutorials: - UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook