Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can't install any programs- "Error writing to file C:\..."

  1. #1


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8.1

    Can't install any programs- "Error writing to file C:\..."


    Hi, I am using windows 8.1, but I can't install any programs. The programs each say "Error writing to file C:\Program Files\*Programs Directory*. Verify that you have access to that directory". I have tried installing many programs, but none work. Macromedia Dreamweaver displays a slightly different message: "1: Failed to install ISKernal Files. Make sure you have appropriate privileges on this machine." but I think its the same problem. Macromedia forums suggested running in compatibility mode, but that didn't work. I have tried disabling my anti virus and windows defender, but they were not causing the problem. I have run out of ideas so please suggest any ideas.
    Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Are you in "Administrator account" ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Are you in "Administrator account" ?
    Yes, my account has full admin privileges.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by Axeinfection101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Are you in "Administrator account" ?
    Yes, my account has full admin privileges.
    Try lowering User account settings.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    ...so please suggest any ideas.
    This batch file---

    dism.bat

    Contains cmds for repairing the component store & files.

    Viewed in Notepad it looks like this---

    Click image for larger version

    Download it.
    Right click it & click Properties & Unblock it.

    Click image for larger version

    Then---
    Right click it & choose Run as administrator.
    You can leave it run in the background if you wish. It takes about 2 hours to finish.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeinfection101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Are you in "Administrator account" ?
    Yes, my account has full admin privileges.
    Try lowering User account settings.
    Didn't Work
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    ...so please suggest any ideas.
    This batch file---

    dism.bat

    Contains cmds for repairing the component store & files.

    Viewed in Notepad it looks like this---

    Click image for larger version

    Download it.
    Right click it & click Properties & Unblock it.

    Click image for larger version

    Then---
    Right click it & choose Run as administrator.
    You can leave it run in the background if you wish. It takes about 2 hours to finish.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version
    Problem..... Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Axeinfection101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    ...so please suggest any ideas.
    This batch file---

    dism.bat

    Contains cmds for repairing the component store & files.

    Viewed in Notepad it looks like this---

    Click image for larger version

    Download it.
    Right click it & click Properties & Unblock it.

    Click image for larger version

    Then---
    Right click it & choose Run as administrator.
    You can leave it run in the background if you wish. It takes about 2 hours to finish.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version
    Problem..... Click image for larger version
    You did not right click it & choose Run As Administrator.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 19
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeinfection101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

    This batch file---

    dism.bat

    Contains cmds for repairing the component store & files.

    Viewed in Notepad it looks like this---

    Click image for larger version

    Download it.
    Right click it & click Properties & Unblock it.

    Click image for larger version

    Then---
    Right click it & choose Run as administrator.
    You can leave it run in the background if you wish. It takes about 2 hours to finish.
    A picture---

    Click image for larger version
    Problem..... Click image for larger version
    You did not right click it & choose Run As Administrator.

    Click image for larger version
    I ran it as administrator, and it said there was no integrity violations.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Lets check your access. Please post these screens... Right click on Program files then click on Security tab, then Advanced to show the Permissions tab.

    Click image for larger version

    Then click on Effective access and choose your user profile.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Can't install any programs- "Error writing to file C:\..."
Related Threads
Hello, I have tried to start up my PC recently and I get the message 43833 that my boot system has failed due to the fact it's missing the file "\BCD". I have contacted the microsoft company to report this issue no one can help me without my product code, or a disc/USB with the windows 8...
I just ran "sfc /scannow", got the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log ...". I opened that with texteditor, and found 4 Cannot repair member file "Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB of prncacla.inf ... lines in the...
Hello, Following the forum guidelines I am posting a compressed file from your SF Diagnostic tool. This was done shortly after a BSOD. Thanks for your support in helping me understand what is the cause of those frequent BSOD. Joce
Hello, I HAD at the bottom right hand corner (first line) Windows 8.1 Pro (second line) Build 9600. I have followed the instructions on: link 1: How to Remove Watermark (Build Number Info) from Desktop in Windows 8? - AskVG And that did not do anything. So I then followed these...
hello all. I just got my new pc with MS Windows 8. I tried to set up the "People" app and I keep receiving an error which tells me that "Your password has changed. Please enter your password." Howvever there is no place to re-enter my password nor did I change my password. Since I get...
Hi there I am trying to install the latest Beta drivers (13.6) released by amd for my HD7850, and during the installation period, the wizard gets up to the point where it starts to install the driver, and then comes up with the following error "Driver install: the INF file was not found" I...
Now and then, actually more often now i keep getting the error message cant install the program or file "the file is corrupt" when i try to run setup files or CAB files. It complains sometimes when i try to install everything from drivers to other programs like Ciscos packet tracer, Skype, VLC,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook