Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


I Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 and Windows Recovery not work

  1. #31


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    Right Charm -> Change PC Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup ->
    Restart Now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

    dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"H:\RecoveryImage\Install.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

    that command will apply the recovery image install.wim to the windows partition..

    Verify H is the recoveryimage partition and C is your windows partition

    ONCE you enter DOS the drive letters tend to change, other then what was assigned in windows - and I was trying to avoid this part

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    My laptop come with Windows 8.0

    excuse me KYHI, have a few questions

    1. Can i delete other partition's?(128 & 450 MB)
    2. Can i delete restore partition and replace H:?
    3. If I change hard drive, with this USB can I install Windows on it? can i create a restore partition on new hard drive?(I want to replace HDD with SSD)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    Right Charm -> Change PC Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Advanced Startup ->
    Restart Now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt

    dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"H:\RecoveryImage\Install.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

    that command will apply the recovery image install.wim to the windows partition..

    Verify H is the recoveryimage partition and C is your windows partition

    ONCE you enter DOS the drive letters tend to change, other then what was assigned in windows - and I was trying to avoid this part
    With this method do not need to USB Recovery drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    if you want to fix the disk - you need to backup D and E to an external source ( you have 250GB of data one those to drives) and create a recovery drive(USB)

    if you just want to restore your factory windows 8 we go the way of DOS and no media needed
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    Actually you are better off with the fresh install of windows 8.1 and getting The right Asus programs
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    if you want to fix the disk - you need to backup D and E to an external source ( you have 250GB of data one those to drives) and create a recovery drive(USB)

    if you just want to restore your factory windows 8 we go the way of DOS and no media needed


    I wanted to go back to Windows 8 and then upgrade to Windows 8.1 agin!
    BUT please you help me to have Windows 8.1(Clean), the way that you think is better.

    if disk need to fix, help me to fix it (A few hours later I prepared external hard drive)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    Actually you are better off with the fresh install of windows 8.1 and getting The right Asus programs
    I downloaded all ASUS Windows 8.1 Program
    But this not work!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 2,690
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10


    you want windows 8 back refer to post 30 & 31

    We just can't wipe the disk you have to much DATA on D and E
    Last edited by KYHI; 27 Jan 2015 at 19:38.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    If you go here, ASUS Service | North America and type in N550JV, and then click Search. You should see N550JV listed. Click it and select Windows 8 64 bit for OS. Then go to Utilities. If you scroll down you should see "ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities". Windows 8.1 has likely installed a basic ATK utility. Something else I saw in the list that you may want to download is the ASUS InstantKey Utility. That may be the one your looking for to give you the onscreen key press popups. That last one is not listed for my laptop model. If you have already done this my apologies. Some people will just Google for something and download the first one they find. Depending on what your looking for you may not get you the one for your specific hardware. I just want to make sure you get the correct version. I tried to post a link to the exact spot the download is but it just always links to the main page I posted above. The URL doesn't change as you navigate to the download. It looks like they don't want anybody linking directly to the downloads.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 36
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you go here, ASUS Service | North America and type in N550JV, and then click Search. You should see N550JV listed. Click it and select Windows 8 64 bit for OS. Then go to Utilities. If you scroll down you should see "ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities". Windows 8.1 has likely installed a basic ATK utility. Something else I saw in the list that you may want to download is the ASUS InstantKey Utility. That may be the one your looking for to give you the onscreen key press popups. That last one is not listed for my laptop model. If you have already done this my apologies. Some people will just Google for something and download the first one they find. Depending on what your looking for you may not get you the one for your specific hardware. I just want to make sure you get the correct version. I tried to post a link to the exact spot the download is but it just always links to the main page I posted above. The URL doesn't change as you navigate to the download. It looks like they don't want anybody linking directly to the downloads.
    Thank you alphanumeric


    I did this yesterday
    But nothing could not be changed

    I was able to empty space 100 GB I create on the my desktop PC
    If I could back up my partitions, then i can Factory Reset!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
I Upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 and Windows Recovery not work
Related Threads
Hi, i'm new here. So I have recently obtained an ASUS X45CP pre-installed with Windows 8 then I saw this thing at Microsoft website about windows 8.1 and I thought about upgrading (which now I deeply regret) After upgrading I found out that some of the device drivers are not fully...
Unfortunately I also deleted the recovery partition. I am on a Vizio CT14-A4, which had Windows 8 preinstalled. I've upgraded to 8.1. I can boot from the drive but it does no see any recovery information on their. The space the files take up on the drive is 6gb, so something is on there. Could it...
I have created a Windows 8 Recovery Drive from another machine. I have inserted it into the defective machine and have changed the BIOS to make the USB the first boot device. The machine just goes to a black screen and nothing happens. Any ideas?
Here is my setup: Motherboard: P8Z77-V LE PPLUS Processor: i5-2300 Source: Onboard Graphics/Audio (HDMI) Receiver: Harmon Kardon 2600 No matter what I do, Windows v8.1 will not play anything out of my Harmon_AVR HDMI source. I installed Windows 7 using the exact same setup and it works...
I got a new laptop for work during black friday sales and it had windows 8. Only problem is it will not work for well..my work. They need to install some programs and they are not compatible with windows 8. So i need to install 7. What i learned is it is not as simple as reformat hdd and...
I'm using windows 8 pro which I upgraded from windows 7 home premium in january. After the upgrade, my e key stopped working. After another few months, more keys stopped working and now, no keys are working. What do I do?:cry:
Hey, I had a few questions about this deal they have going on. 1. How does retrieving the Windows 8 work? They said I'll be able to download it. How many times can I download it? Can I download it whenever I want, for instance, I want to download it a year after I purchased the deal? To...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook