Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Installing Windows with new hardware

  1. #1


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8

    Installing Windows with new hardware


    I need to know if it's possible to install Windows 8 with new hardware, using the same product key?

    My motherboard recently crapped out, so I have bought a new one and a new processor. I need to install them, but I'm not sure if the old product key will work.

    I used to have Windows 7 (OEM) originally, then I upgraded to Windows 8 via the $40 promo MS had going, and then to Windows 8.1 via the Windows store. I would just use my existing installation, but I don't want the hassle of having to screw with the drivers.

    I have the product key and Windows 8 on a USB drive (ISO file), so can I just install it via the USB drive and then activate it with the same product key?

    Thank you.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    You will get some flack from MS activation and will probably have to purchase a new key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Usually you can not install same copy of OS on two different systems i feel since changing the motherboard it will be like a new system to the OS. Give it a try a lot of tutorials on this site install Windows 8, do a search. Microsoft usually wants to charge for putting same one on another PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    You will get some flack from MS activation and will probably have to purchase a new key.
    I hope not.

    Isn't the Widows 8 $40 key a retail key, and is transferable?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    I recall at time could not do a clean install with Windows 8 upgrade, but they found a way then, so who knows now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    I recall at time could not do a clean install with Windows 8 upgrade, but they found a way then, so who knows now.
    I may just have to try and get it to work with my current install, but that will probably be a pia. If I can, though, I should be able to do a refresh or clean install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Thing is, this seems like a Windows 8 upgrade you have, as said on different system probably won't work.
    Can't suggest any way will be illegal to do. Google it if you want. Refresh won't work either, first need OS there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Thing is, this seems like a Windows 8 upgrade you have, as said on different system probably won't work.
    Can't suggest any way will be illegal to do. Google it if you want. Refresh won't work either, first need OS there.
    I already have Windows 8 installed on my SSD, and I am saying if I can get it to boot with the new hardware, that it should then work with the existing product key. I would then be able to do a refresh or restore to get rid of any driver issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by dude98 View Post
    I need to know if it's possible to install Windows 8 with new hardware, using the same product key?

    My motherboard recently crapped out, so I have bought a new one and a new processor. I need to install them, but I'm not sure if the old product key will work.

    I used to have Windows 7 (OEM) originally, then I upgraded to Windows 8 via the $40 promo MS had going, and then to Windows 8.1 via the Windows store. I would just use my existing installation, but I don't want the hassle of having to screw with the drivers.

    I have the product key and Windows 8 on a USB drive (ISO file), so can I just install it via the USB drive and then activate it with the same product key?

    Thank you.
    I would come up with a Win 8.1 ISO and remake your USB key. Install with generic key.
    then use the old Vista trick minimum install. Get into windows, your update key won't activate because there wasn't a another version of windows there. Restart your USB key install from within windows, your computer will reboot and complete another install over the first one. This second on will activate with your Win 8 upgrade key.
    You will have on the root of your C: drive a Windows.old file
    This is how I clean installed Win 8.1 update, to one of my computers to a clean SSD
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by dude98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Thing is, this seems like a Windows 8 upgrade you have, as said on different system probably won't work.
    Can't suggest any way will be illegal to do. Google it if you want. Refresh won't work either, first need OS there.
    I already have Windows 8 installed on my SSD, and I am saying if I can get it to boot with the new hardware, that it should then work with the existing product key. I would then be able to do a refresh or restore to get rid of any driver issues.
    Well then let us know how it works out. You might have to at some point activate using the phone method and all them numbers. If it will boot up. I would have the latest chipset drivers for your chipset if you get it to boot install them right away
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Installing Windows with new hardware
Related Threads
Windows 8 activation, new hardware in Windows Updates & Activation
OK so I am trying to activate Windows 8.1. I have a mac, and this is different hardware than the first installation. I was given these instructions to activate on my old machine. For any Product Key activation issues , phone Activation Method could be tried : Type-in "slui 4" without...
Hi ... I'm new to the forum and I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to the question toward how many hardware changes can one make with the OEM upgrade 8 pro on the same motherboard ? Thanks
Touch hardware and Windows 8 in Windows 8 News
More...
PC Hardware for Windows 8 in Drivers & Hardware
Will there be any specific hardware needed for Windows 8 ? (eg) 64bit CPUs, Graphics Card, Sound Card, minimum RAM ? appreciate any advice :)
PC Hardware for Windows 8 in General Support
Could you guys imagine what the hardware will be like when windows 8 comes out i hope i have an intel core i9 by then
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook