Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Win7/Win8 Dual Boot Problem

  1. #1


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8

    Win7/Win8 Dual Boot Problem


    I just installed Windows 7 on my HP Envy m6 1125.

    I am not sure what to do because I cannot locate drivers to install on Windows 7 so I'm stuck. I try to boot to Windows 8 at start up but it does not load it just goes back to the boot screen and it will only load Windows 7.

    How do I get to windows 8 so I can delete Windows 7? I am going to attempt to install Windows 8.1 to fix the issues I've been having.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 2
    Windows/ Ubuntu


    Hi
    What Happen When You Browse Your Hard Disk To Select Drive For Windows Installation(In Setup Window)?

    (Typically)You Must Install Windows 7 First
    Then
    Install Windows 8(or 8.1)
    Note: Upgrade From Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 is Free
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    I have already set up. I don't know where to start. Let me try to be more clear for everyone:

    My computer came with Windows 8. It was running very rough. I decided to install Windows 7. It installed it as a Dual Boot. I can boot to Windows 7. But in Windows 7, all the drivers are missing, including the network drivers, so I cannot connect to the internet to update and install drivers.

    I try to boot to Windows 8 and it will not load. I click Windows 8, and the screen flashes as if it was going to load, then it returns to the boot menu.

    What I am wanting to do is be able to get back into Windows 8, and have Windows 7 removed from my computer.

    Thanks for any responses to help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by kyleseeman View Post
    I have already set up. I don't know where to start. Let me try to be more clear for everyone:

    My computer came with Windows 8. It was running very rough. I decided to install Windows 7. It installed it as a Dual Boot. I can boot to Windows 7. But in Windows 7, all the drivers are missing, including the network drivers, so I cannot connect to the internet to update and install drivers.

    I try to boot to Windows 8 and it will not load. I click Windows 8, and the screen flashes as if it was going to load, then it returns to the boot menu.

    What I am wanting to do is be able to get back into Windows 8, and have Windows 7 removed from my computer.

    Thanks for any responses to help.
    Sounds like you may be up for a Clean install of 8.11

    you can hook up your hard drive USB to another computer to save your Data.

    If you have a 8 or 8.1 iso or DVD you could try a repair install. It sounds like you over wrote your boot drive with the Windows 7 boot
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    All my data has been saved previous to this. That's not an issue.

    8.1 cannot be installed because of the issue that some ways the computer is set up. I can't recall the term Setup uses when you try to install and your computer isn't compatible.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,121
    Windows 8.1 x64


    If you use the Boot Device Menu, which is normally accessible during boot, or go into the Bios, is there another option to boot which might boot you directly into Windows 8.1?

    If you can get to the Administrative command prompt and type the following command and then attach the resulting text file or zip it and attach.

    bcdedit /enum all > %userprofile%\Desktop\bcdlist.txt
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    How do I get to windows 8 so I can delete Windows 7?

    Welcome to EightForums

    Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?



    information   Information

    We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
    & made the Startup Repair CD. (Windows 8 only)
    Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
    System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8 (Windows 8 only)





    I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
    or
    You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.

    You can order the Microsoft official HP/Compaq OEM Recovery disks from the HP/Compaq OEM manufacturer's website.
    https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...09543&sw_lang=
    How Do I Order or Download System Recovery Software? - YouTube

    How to Make Recovery DVD
    Creating System Recovery Discs in Windows 8 for HP Computers - YouTube
    Creating a Recovery Image on Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 8) | HP® Support

    Using Recovery.
    Performing an HP System Recovery on an HP Notebook with Windows 8 - YouTube
    Performing an HP System Recovery on an HP Desktop PC with Windows 8 - YouTube
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by kyleseeman View Post
    All my data has been saved previous to this. That's not an issue.

    8.1 cannot be installed because of the issue that some ways the computer is set up. I can't recall the term Setup uses when you try to install and your computer isn't compatible.
    Most likely your trying to install a 8.1 ISO that is UEFI GPT and your system is BIOS MBR or Vise Versa OS drives are not compatible. To install UEFI your Disk needs to be GPT To install Legacy BIOS your Disk needs to be MBR


    I would take theog advice and create recovery disk before you do anything else.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    If you use the Boot Device Menu, which is normally accessible during boot, or go into the Bios, is there another option to boot which might boot you directly into Windows 8.1?

    If you can get to the Administrative command prompt and type the following command and then attach the resulting text file or zip it and attach.

    bcdedit /enum all > %userprofile%\Desktop\bcdlist.txt
    The text file says: The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Win7/Win8 Dual Boot Problem
Related Threads
I've create 2 partitions, 1st partition is Win7 SysPrep and the 2nd partition is Win8.1 Sysprep I install Win7 and press Ctrl-Shift-F3 to form SysPrep, same as Win8.1 in 2nd partition. I made this becuase I've 25 Dell new Win8.1 Computer which are UEFI. So I want to make a master computer which...
Hi, apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this. It was either this or BSOD crash, but I do not have any BSOD at all. Basically, I have a Thinkpad X201Tablet. I have set it up to dual boot in Windows 7 pro and Windows 8 pro. And it has been working perfectly so far (installed...
Solved Win8-Win7 Dual Boot in Installation & Setup
Currently I have Win8 and Win7 installed on individual drives. Would it be more advisable to install on one drive in separate partitions? Thanks, Harold
Dual Boot Win8 and Win7... in Installation & Setup
I would love to dual boot 7 and 8 on my laptop. However, my laptop has Windows 8. Is it possible if I were to partition a space and download the 7 disk? Thanks.:think:
I currently have Win7 & Win8 preview in separate partitions on the same machine. I am trying to figure out the best way to install win8 pro on my system and keep my current dual boot setup with Win 7 intact and stay legal. So....I have a 3 licence family pack of windows 7 of which I have used...
Solved Dual Boot Win7 & Win8 in Installation & Setup
Is there a way to remove "Win7 Boot Manager"? Because after the 1st Boot of the Day it stops at win8 light blue screen and gives the choice, Win7 and Win8 they both work here. , But when the Computer 'Re-Boots" , It stops at "Win7 Boot Manager" but does not let me make a choice, it just times out...
Dual boot Win8 with Win7 in Installation & Setup
Are there any special steps i need to follow rather than just installing Win8 to another drive? Also, i guess that Win7 drivers will work on Win8, right?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook