Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


8.1/Ubuntu dual boot GRUB query

  1. #1


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1

    8.1/Ubuntu dual boot GRUB query


    I have a Windows 8.1/Ubuntu dual boot system. Can anyone give me instructions on how to get rid of the GRUB loader to end up with Windows as the default loading OS that will give me the Windows blue 'Please choose an operating system' screen when I turn the system on?

    Thanks in advance!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    For loading Ubuntu, you need the Grub. If you want to het rid of Grub, you will have to get rid of Ubuntu too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    For loading Ubuntu, you need the Grub. If you want to het rid of Grub, you will have to get rid of Ubuntu too.
    My bad, poorly worded question.

    Yeah, I know that grub is required. I meant that I'd like Windows to provide me with the blue screen to select an operating system (defaulting to Windows 8 after 15 seconds if nothing is pressed) and then, if I were to select Ubuntu, it'd go through into grub from there.

    It's just an aesthetics thing that I'd like. I managed it before on the same machine before with a Kubuntu/Windows 7 dual boot before I wiped the drive to upgrade to Windows 8, but I've forgotten what I did.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 146
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    For loading Ubuntu, you need the Grub. If you want to het rid of Grub, you will have to get rid of Ubuntu too.
    My bad, poorly worded question.

    Yeah, I know that grub is required. I meant that I'd like Windows to provide me with the blue screen to select an operating system (defaulting to Windows 8 after 15 seconds if nothing is pressed) and then, if I were to select Ubuntu, it'd go through into grub from there.

    It's just an aesthetics thing that I'd like. I managed it before on the same machine before with a Kubuntu/Windows 7 dual boot before I wiped the drive to upgrade to Windows 8, but I've forgotten what I did.
    Download EasyBcd, its free, and simple to perform.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there

    Oh no you don't have to get rid of Ubuntu or use Easybcd either!!!!

    You can install UBUNTU (or pretty well any other Linux) so the BOOT (or GRUB (now GRUB2) installs on any partition or HDD.

    The main problem with some of the Automatic Installers is that if you have a UEFI system then at install time GRUB (now GRUB2) will be installed on the internal boot HDD -- it actually doesn't have to be but that's the price one pays for the general "dumbing down" of everything. You Can (and I'd advise it in any case) install a NON UEFI version of most Linux distros even on a UEFI system and you don't have to switch off UEFI in the BIOS either.

    I've got here a link to a post I made a while ago explaining how you could create a totally bootable Linux system from an EXTERNAL HDD and run a Windows VM as well without any change whatsoever to your main HDD. You could use this also for an internal HDD and use the BIOS menu to choose what HDD to boot.

    How to make Portable Windows system (any version)

    Follow the logic through (works for most distros) and also how to remove GRUB from your main boot HDD.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 146
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    Oh no you don't have to get rid of Ubuntu or use Easybcd either!!!!

    You can install UBUNTU (or pretty well any other Linux) so the BOOT (or GRUB (now GRUB2) installs on any partition or HDD.

    The main problem with some of the Automatic Installers is that if you have a UEFI system then at install time GRUB (now GRUB2) will be installed on the internal boot HDD -- it actually doesn't have to be but that's the price one pays for the general "dumbing down" of everything. You Can (and I'd advise it in any case) install a NON UEFI version of most Linux distros even on a UEFI system and you don't have to switch off UEFI in the BIOS either.

    I've got here a link to a post I made a while ago explaining how you could create a totally bootable Linux system from an EXTERNAL HDD and run a Windows VM as well without any change whatsoever to your main HDD. You could use this also for an internal HDD and use the BIOS menu to choose what HDD to boot.

    How to make Portable Windows system (any version)

    Follow the logic through (works for most distros) and also how to remove GRUB from your main boot HDD.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I have both W8.1 and Ubuntu on two separate SSDs....No problems whatsoever...On start up I have choice of either W8.1 or Ubuntu together on a blue background....Setup uses W8.1 as the master boot with EasyBcd giving its own secondary boot setup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1


    Okay, nice one, thanks - I've had a fiddle with EasyBcd and I'm halfway there; I've got windows controlling the mbr with a windows boot black screen when I turn on the PC which gives me the option of selecting 8.1 or Ubuntu. If I select Ubuntu, it proceeds to grub as it was before so it's nearly what I'd like.

    What do I do from here to enable the Windows 8 baby blue screen of selecting operating systems?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Okay, nice one, thanks - I've had a fiddle with EasyBcd and I'm halfway there; I've got windows controlling the mbr with a windows boot black screen when I turn on the PC which gives me the option of selecting 8.1 or Ubuntu. If I select Ubuntu, it proceeds to grub as it was before so it's nearly what I'd like.

    What do I do from here to enable the Windows 8 baby blue screen of selecting operating systems?
    Run bcdboot %windir% from command prompt to get boot menu GUI

    Why use the windows loader? Grub's chainload is much quicker...If you want a graphical grub menu, try BURG.

    Here's mine:
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 6
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Run bcdboot %windir% from command prompt to get boot menu GUI
    Worked. Thankyou!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

8.1/Ubuntu dual boot GRUB query
Related Threads
i tried to install ubuntu on an external hard drive and during instilation somehow the grub bootloader got installed on my internal hard drive. i cant seem to find any way to remove it. Im a total noob and im trying to find a solution for my problem. heres what im talking about
I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8 running on my laptop in Dual boot. Now I want to re-install Ubuntu without affecting Windows 8 partition. Please help me with it.
How come the thread has been marked solved? There are several videos on youtube explaining how, here is just one: How to Install Ubuntu 12.04 to Dual boot alongside Windows 8 - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LokDqte3sA4
dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu in Installation & Setup
Hi I have been researching installing Ubuntu alongside Win 8.on my daughters laptop. I already boot Ubuntu & Win 7 on my desktop pc, but I have read some horror stories about installing Ubuntu with Win 8., mostly in regard to the uefi boot system in Win 8., as well as, its a laptop as opposed to...
Solved Ubuntu Windows 8 dual boot preformance in Performance & Maintenance
I decided to dual boot ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 8. I had a dual boot setup before with Windows 7 and didn't have any problems. Since this latest dual boot Ubuntu has been running fine however Windows 8 has become really sluggish. It now takes a few minutes to boot when before it was able to...
Hi, I have my Windows 8 installed in my C drive and it is the only OS I have as of now. I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 8. But I have read so many negative things with regards to problems in booting after installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 8. My Win 8 is installed in UEFI...
dual boot with ubuntu in Installation & Setup
So I have this lenovo ideacentre B540 All-in-one that originally came with Windows 7. The customer bought it at best buy and it came with a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it came out. So the customer was using it with Windows 8 until he got some FBI porn virus on there. I was hired to reload...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook