Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Problems with recovery partition in ASUS with Windows 8

  1. #21


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    The other thread, and a couple of others show these screenshots and suggests how to recover the partitions to a readable state.

    Easeus removes the volume information from the partitions so they don't show up in a Volumes listing. You will have to reapply the Partition Type Id to those partitions, or in my case, I had to change them to normal data partitions then reboot and change them back.

    The thread linked below also discusses the problem, and there are references for repairing your system on other forums. If you have questions about the procedures, let us know.

    Need help accessing Recovery partition
    I've been reeding what I hace to do and I hace some questions... Do I have to change de Id to this = de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 1,121
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by thisangels View Post
    I've been reeding what I have to do and I hace some questions... Do I have to change de Id to this = de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ?
    That is the correct ID for the Recovery partition. If you use diskpart and the Detail Partition command, it will probably show that as the current ID. Some folks have been able to reset it to that ID and have it work. In my case, I needed to do more than that.

    The final recovery partition should show as the below as far as the Type and Attrib:

    DISKPART> det par

    Partition 1
    Type : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    Hidden : Yes
    Required: Yes
    Attrib : 0X8000000000000001
    Offset in Bytes: 1048576

    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    * Volume 5 Recovery NTFS Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thisangels View Post
    I've been reeding what I have to do and I hace some questions... Do I have to change de Id to this = de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ?
    That is the correct ID for the Recovery partition. If you use diskpart and the Detail Partition command, it will probably show that as the current ID. Some folks have been able to reset it to that ID and have it work. In my case, I needed to do more than that.

    The final recovery partition should show as the below as far as the Type and Attrib:

    DISKPART> det par

    Partition 1
    Type : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    Hidden : Yes
    Required: Yes
    Attrib : 0X8000000000000001
    Offset in Bytes: 1048576

    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    * Volume 5 Recovery NTFS Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden
    Well I did some things and now the reagentc /info is working. I've read Need help accessing Recovery partition, in post #6 says did for each oem unit, and I have 3.

    I did the changes for partition 9 and partition 2. I have noticed that in the beginning partion 2 was OEM after the change was named by recory. Is it ok? And for the next OEM partition do I have to do the same:

    This is not a BCD store problem. EaseUS seems to remove the volume information from the recovery partitions on UEFI installs. The only way I know of to get it back is to change the Type ID of the Recovery partition to a General Data partition, like the OS partitions, reboot and then change the Type ID and Attribute back to the Recovery partition.

    The linked post shows what the commands are to accomplish this. If you need help with diskpart, let us know. The commands can use just the first three letters for most, although some cannot. But lis is list, par is partition, and so on.

    The recovery partition Type ID I know about is shown below. When you detail the partition, make sure the ASUS Type ID is the same, or copy it somewhere to keep. You can copy and paste into, out of, and within a Command Prompt window.

    de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

    So to check you first recovery partition, open an Administrative command prompt. Type these command with enter after each. Use the Disk and partition numbers from the listing obtained with the list commands.

    Diskpart
    list disk
    sel dis 0
    lis par
    sel par 2
    detail par

    You would then use the commands below to change the Type ID and Attributes

    set id=ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7

    This sets the partition to a Data partition. Reboot and change the Type ID and Attributes back to the original.

    set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

    EaseUS has been notified about this situation, but to this time I have received no response from them. But I hope they will repair their software and put out a utility which will correct the problem for their users.
    After change, I wrote reagentc /info and some information appears. So what is it next?
    Click image for larger version Click image for larger version Click image for larger version Click image for larger version Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8


    I've tried to restore, but I have the same problem... There is a unit missing.
    The reagentc /info works, show 2 recoverys.

    Also when I tried to run from the usb... I have the same blue screen. And nothing happens, I return to previous screen. I don't know what to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Here, run as admin on the .cmd file after extracting it from the .zip:

    check your pm for the password to open zip.

    runasadmin.zip
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Here, run as admin on the .cmd file after extracting it from the .zip:

    check your pm for the password to open zip.

    runasadmin.zip
    It's weird... it says it can't find.
    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    That is weird.

    I think you will have to reinstall using winntsetup . You will need something bootable to do that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    That is weird.

    I think you will have to reinstall using winntsetup . You will need something bootable to do that.
    So I will have to re-install all from a windows 8? or make a format of the unit? But I don't have the ISO file... and I think I'll lost of my files, even asus drivers.

    I've download the program, but I don't know how to use it.
    I have install.wim (around 9.55gb) also winre.wim (around 233mb) and the usb booteable (9.75gb) ( made by the laptop, but when I try it doesn't work). So, what else do I need?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Run winntsetup and it will download few files it needs. Then copy winntsetup to a different partition from the one you are going to install to.

    Boot your usb stick. Go to command prompt. Type notepad. When notepad opens click file>save, then select "all files" at the bottom of notepad window.

    Use notepad to navigate to winntsetup_x64.exe and run it.

    Browse to your install.wim, browse to the partition you want to install onto, tick the drive letter box and make sure C is selected, Click "Setup".

    That will install. Yes, you will lose the contents of the partition you install to.

    Because you already have 8.1 installed, you cannot use 8.0 install.wim to refresh, you can only use it install.


    If you want to "refresh", you must get the 8.1 iso. What Edition do you have Pro\Core\Core Single language ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 26
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Run winntsetup and it will download few files it needs. Then copy winntsetup to a different partition from the one you are going to install to.

    Boot your usb stick. Go to command prompt. Type notepad. When notepad opens click file>save, then select "all files" at the bottom of notepad window.

    Use notepad to navigate to winntsetup_x64.exe and run it.

    Browse to your install.wim, browse to the partition you want to install onto, tick the drive letter box and make sure C is selected, Click "Setup".

    That will install. Yes, you will lose the contents of the partition you install to.

    Because you already have 8.1 installed, you cannot use 8.0 install.wim to refresh, you can only use it install.


    If you want to "refresh", you must get the 8.1 installation media. What Edition do you have Pro\Core\Core Single language ?
    I have single language. So the install.wim that I have is win8.1? Do I need any DVD of windows?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Problems with recovery partition in ASUS with Windows 8
Related Threads
Hey everyone :) Alright, so my ASUS laptop has been getting a little slow lately, so I decided to reinstall. Now I know my PC has an ASUS recovery partition, which reļnstalls the pc with all the tools, drivers etc, since I've used it before. But now when I restart the computer and press F9 and...
ASUS Recovery partition in Installation & Setup
Hi All, I've read a lot of posts and a little confused. I upgraded ASUS S400CA to 8.1 . I just need to create a recovery disk with the option of copy from recovery partition which is graded out as many of you know. Can you please provide me with the steps of what I will have to do to create a...
If you have a recovery drive - that includes the recovery partition - made on one computer, but have a toshiba laptop with a bad drive (but the recovery partition is ok), can you replace/copy the partition on the recovery drive with the recovery partition from the bad laptop HD? My friend's...
Hello i buy new asus X550CC-XO028H ultrabook with windows 8 preinstalled.I upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 over windows store.I get many erros in event viewer.So now need restore windows 8 from recovery partition.Install all programs and upgrade to 8.1.But i cannot to do this.Windows 8.1 cannot find...
I have a Samsung Ultrabook series 5 laptop..some couple of month usage i completely remove my hard drive and change the windows 8 to windows 7..when i use windows 7 i realize windows 8 is much better then windows 7 so again i clean install of windows 8. i boot drive in PXE UEFI Only Mode.​Some...
Hello everyone, I'm a technician at TigerDirect, and for one of our services we create recovery media for newly purchased machines. For Windows 8 machines (As I'm sure you know) we cannot create recovery disks, and have to create a recovery drive using a flash drive. On multiple occasions...
My tablet is running fine, but I did something (not bright) which could leave me in a lurch later. Here's what I did, and what I'm looking for. Soon after I purchased my Asus VivoTab Smart, I made a USB recovery disk, complete with recovery partition. Then, to save disk space on the tablet, I...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook