Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


From HDD to SSD, How do I clean install Windows?

  1. #1


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1

    From HDD to SSD, How do I clean install Windows?


    Hello,

    My Laptop ( ASUS K55VD ) came with windows 8 pre-installed.

    Now I want to install a Samsung EVO 840 250gb/500gb SSD, now I run a 750gb HDD which i split into 2 partitions which have a total of around 140gb used. But I can transfer stuff to an external HDD if needed. After I install the SSD I want to use my current HDD as an external HDD by buying a enclosure for it of course.

    My main question is: What do I have to do to install Win8 clean on the SSD for optimal use? I don't know if I am on OEM, currently at work


    Thanks in advance

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    You can follow this post:
    Rebuild on SSD
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    You can follow this post:
    Rebuild on SSD
    Thank you, so I am pretty sure it's buried in my BIOS, but how do I get a clean install of windows? I don't have any DVD/ISO file that I can use to boot it when I have my SSD in
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    I suggest that you save all your data to an external drive then reset your Windows back to factory from the recovery partition then clone it to the SSD using the free Macrium Reflect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    I suggest that you save all your data to an external drive then reset your Windows back to factory from the recovery partition then clone it to the SSD using the free Macrium Reflect.
    Isn't there really any other option? I wanted to use my current HDD as an external HDD as the SSD will be my only drive in the PC
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Since you only have the SSD and the HD to work with then:
    1. Connect your SSD to a USB port then move all your personal data to the SSD. Just make sure that they are safe.
    2. Restore Windows to the HD from the factory partition.
    3. Shrink the Windows partition HD to about 120GB then you would have an unallocated partition after drive C:
    4. Initiallize the unallocated partition and assign a letter for it. Just right click on it then click on Initialize then follow the screen to assign a letter and format it.
    5. Copy your personal data back to this new partition.
    6. Use macrium to make a backup image of Windows also to this new partition.
    7. Again, use Macrium to restore that image to the SSD.
    8. Swap the HD to the SSD then reboot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by JVi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    I suggest that you save all your data to an external drive then reset your Windows back to factory from the recovery partition then clone it to the SSD using the free Macrium Reflect.
    Isn't there really any other option? I wanted to use my current HDD as an external HDD as the SSD will be my only drive in the PC
    Well Cloning to your new SSD is possible with what you have. If you can get a windows 8.1 ISO or Disk, Core 64 then you can use a Generic Install Product Key to start the clean Install, then once installed you'll have to use your product Key to activate. You'll have to extract your embedded product Key before you start so you'll have it. topguncp gave you good advise.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Since you only have the SSD and the HD to work with then:
    1. Connect your SSD to a USB port then move all your personal data to the SSD. Just make sure that they are safe.
    2. Restore Windows to the HD from the factory partition.
    3. Shrink the Windows partition HD to about 120GB then you would have an unallocated partition after drive C:
    4. Initiallize the unallocated partition and assign a letter for it. Just right click on it then click on Initialize then follow the screen to assign a letter and format it.
    5. Copy your personal data back to this new partition.
    6. Use macrium to make a backup image of Windows also to this new partition.
    7. Again, use Macrium to restore that image to the SSD.
    8. Swap the HD to the SSD then reboot.
    Ah, I didn't say it properly.. I now already have an external HDD to my use, so I can backup my files to that harddrive. This so i don't need to buy a sata>usb cable. The only thing I need to know is how to get a legal copy of windows without having to delete anything from both of my HDD's..

    Still following me?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    There is a thread in this forum to show you how to download the ISO file. The Retail version and the OEM are the same, the differences are the product keys. I am not sure if you can download the ISO using the OEM product key.

    Once you have the ISO then it becomes easy, just swap the drive currently in your laptop with the SSD and install it. The other thread that I refer to earlier contains info on how to save your Activation Info and also retrieve the product key.

    The version currently in the Recovery partition from ASUS is also legal except they bundled with a lot of crap wares.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 12
    Windows 8.1


    Yeah I found the product key but it doesn't work, says it won't work with the retail version when I enter it..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
From HDD to SSD, How do I clean install Windows?
Related Threads
I just got a new laptop, a Lenovo X230, for which I paid extra to have the OS on it as Windows 8 Pro. So--now I have it, and Win 8 Pro 64 is installed and activated on it. I am a legal owner of Win 8 Pro. However, I would like to do a clean install of Win 8 on the computer, to have it free of...
Windows 8.1.1 Clean Install in Installation & Setup
This ISO works for both OEM (Core) and Retail (Pro) x64 clean installs: File Name: en_windows_8.1_with_update_x64_dvd_4065090.iso Languages: English SHA1: 4652DC6EBFEBE02C6A63E167C36E3FAEDFB93999 Generic keys (and procedures) are the same as before. I know for sure because I have done...
Solved Clean install of Windows 8.1? in Installation & Setup
I have a Win 8 Pro with MC license. I would like to start cleanly by formatting and installing 8.1. Is the ISO available officially for DL? Also will my Win 8 Pro key work with 8.1?
Clean disk before clean install? in Installation & Setup
hello I had many problems with BSOD crashes, and decided to make a new clean install (SSD or harddisk). If I make a new clean install (no upgrade) is it enough to create 1 continuous unallocated disk and then it will make a clean install Or do I have to "clean up" my old disk first before making...
windows 8 pro clean install in Installation & Setup
Howdy , I bought win 8 pro from best buy , they did not say it was a upgrade ok so what . here is my problem I am running 32 bit vista . I have now changed mother boards so I can run 64 bit . When I tried to upgrade it says that I can not upgrade to 64 bit . I tried to do a clean install and my...
Clean install for windows 8 Pro in Installation & Setup
So I bought windows 8 this morning. I had to leave for work before it finished installing. I get back and its asking for my PC name and everything. I look and see it did not format my hard drive. I want a clean install so I need that formatted. How do I download the Windows 8 Pro .ISO so I can make...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook