Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Error on installing Win7 in UEFI

  1. #21


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    don't want to hijack you thread, im just frustrated I'm trying for the first time to duel boot win8 [already installed ]and win7 ,on a uefi .will not let me install to partition I created ,try the rufus usb still no go.i will settle for removing all partitions and installing win7 by it self

    #6 in the link you provided ,it will not let me delete the partitions ,I did deleted the acer recovery partition and one other, then win8 wouldn't boot ,I ran a repair and fixed that ,just want to install win7 and be done ,now I know why people get frustrated with win8 uefi ,oh the laptop is not mine
    On some Acer, Gateway, P. Bell, Windows 7 x64 will not install in UEFI mode.

    Windows 8 Desktops - How to Disable Secure Boot - YouTube



    Enabling the boot device menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

    SOLUTION

    Enabling the F12 function:

    1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
    3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
    4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
    5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

    How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    This article only applies to: Windows 8 Desktops

    Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device.

    Use the following steps to change Secure Boot:

    1.Completely shut down your computer.
    2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the BIOS.
    3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.
    4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.
    5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.
    6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.
    7.Press Enter.
    8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 2,627
    win8.1.1 enterprise


    Quote Originally Posted by memborg01 View Post
    I am running Win 7 on the laptop already, but in legacy, and with linux as a dual boot. Yes the BIOS supports uefi, which s why I tried switching it on and see if the installation would start.
    The same has happened on my new ASUS, with win 8, where I wanted to remove it and install win 7.
    Since I had no luck, I have used win 8 and found that win 8.1 is quite nice and fast, but I have of course switched off most of the so called 'Modern' interface. Since I have a Win 7 license for the old one I wanted to use UEFI instead of legacy.

    I have tried these tutorials, but it is nothing else than what I am used to when booting from a usb. This still gives me the same
    error. Are there other suggestions, if removing linux won't work?
    today I got rid of win8 install and all partitions and installed win7 on a uefi laptop ,a friend of mine used windows Vista install disk to delete all partitions on the drive ,finally after me trying all the great suggestions in this thread
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by memborg01 View Post
    I am running Win 7 on the laptop already, but in legacy, and with linux as a dual boot. Yes the BIOS supports uefi, which s why I tried switching it on and see if the installation would start.
    The same has happened on my new ASUS, with win 8, where I wanted to remove it and install win 7.
    Since I had no luck, I have used win 8 and found that win 8.1 is quite nice and fast, but I have of course switched off most of the so called 'Modern' interface. Since I have a Win 7 license for the old one I wanted to use UEFI instead of legacy.

    I have tried these tutorials, but it is nothing else than what I am used to when booting from a usb. This still gives me the same
    error. Are there other suggestions, if removing linux won't work?
    Just checking your Win7 ISO does have SP1 built in? SP 1 is required to support UEFI in Win 7?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    Yes it does have SP1. I am not running windows 8 on this laptop, but as suggested it might work, to remove the partitions. I will try and see how far I get. Thanks for the suggestions
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 1,121
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Just checking your Win7 ISO does have SP1 built in? SP 1 is required to support UEFI in Win 7?
    Could I ask you where you got this? I cannot say for sure you are incorrect, I will have to do some research, but my original Windows 7 DVD boots to UEFI mode... and I have been running UEFI for several years.

    But again, I will have to check a timeline to verify one way or the other.

    Edit: As it turns out, the Original Windows 7 DVD x64 will not install on my newest system, which is Windows 8 Secure Boot Capable. It will, however, install as UEFI on my older motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V Pro) which is not Windows 8 Secure Boot Capable.
    Last edited by Saltgrass; 14 May 2014 at 16:08.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    I think most of it is solved now.
    I have made a recovery dvd of the original system, and then opened cmd from an install disk. I have formated the entire hdd and
    converted it to gpt, which gets me a bit further. I am currently making a UEFI bootable usb manually, since the one made with
    Rufus, didn't work the first couple of times.

    My old laptop had win 7 in legacy. I have switched to UEFI since it was available in
    the BIOS, and I am trying to install win 7. I only have a win 7 upgrade and a win 7 dvd with english only.
    Is there a way to install another language after installing an english only system? (There is always a way of course, but will it pose a problem?)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    So now I face a somewhat minor problem, compared to the earlier.
    I have made a bootable usb with win 7 uefi using this tutorial:
    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
    (Thanks for this tutorial Brink. It is great)

    When i choose the usb with UEFI in front of it, it looks like it is going to start but it freezes after is says "starting windows".
    When trying to boot from just the USB without UEFI in front, it works as it should.

    Any suggestions on what to do? I have followed the last part of the tutorial, (Step 11) for Win 7 x64 UEFI.

    The system is converted to GPT, so all should work as intended
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Quote Originally Posted by memborg01 View Post
    I think most of it is solved now.
    I have made a recovery dvd of the original system, and then opened cmd from an install disk. I have formated the entire hdd and
    converted it to gpt, which gets me a bit further. I am currently making a UEFI bootable usb manually, since the one made with
    Rufus, didn't work the first couple of times.

    My old laptop had win 7 in legacy. I have switched to UEFI since it was available in
    the BIOS, and I am trying to install win 7. I only have a win 7 upgrade and a win 7 dvd with english only.
    Is there a way to install another language after installing an english only system? (There is always a way of course, but will it pose a problem?)
    You should be using Diskpart to clean the disk your going to install too. Clean then convert to GPT, the install will complete the Partitioning and formatting. You can hit the F10 key after the install files load and get a Elevated CMD to use Diskpart. Otherwise you'll do the Clean and convert to GPT on another computer. or with a boot disk that that has the Diskpart utility on it.
    Your ISO has to have SP 1 built in. and the boot files have to have Boot64 file included. this is all detailed in the Install window 7 UEFI Tutorial.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8, Windows 7


    As I have said, the disk I am installing win 7 in UEFI with, has been cleaned and converted to GPT using Diskpart. I will do an after check. The ISO has SP1 and as I explained I have followed the tutorial, and the bootx64.efi is in efi/boot folder on the install drive.
    Thank you though
    Is there anything else there could be wrong? The ISO is a multi DVD and made for danish, though I would not expect that to be a problem.


    EDIT: The same happens when using linux ubuntu, both on try and on install. Is there any reason for this?

    Also there is an option withing the BIOS, which says, "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device"
    Would it have anything to do with UEFI working?
    UEFI boot has already been enabled, so that the system should be able to boot UEFI from disks.
    Last edited by memborg01; 24 May 2014 at 11:17.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by memborg01 View Post
    As I have said, the disk I am installing win 7 in UEFI with, has been cleaned and converted to GPT using Diskpart. I will do an after check. The ISO has SP1 and as I explained I have followed the tutorial, and the bootx64.efi is in efi/boot folder on the install drive.
    Thank you though
    Is there anything else there could be wrong? The ISO is a multi DVD and made for danish, though I would not expect that to be a problem.


    EDIT: The same happens when using linux ubuntu, both on try and on install. Is there any reason for this?

    Also there is an option withing the BIOS, which says, "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device"
    Would it have anything to do with UEFI working?
    UEFI boot has already been enabled, so that the system should be able to boot UEFI from disks.
    Ok you stated that you formatted then converted to GPT? no format should be required just an unused space on a GPT disk.
    You may be having a problem with your ISO? Here is a link to download any version of win 7 ISO all legal just download the one that you have the Key for. Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads | Windows 7 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Error on installing Win7 in UEFI
Related Threads
I am having problems installing UEFI & a Error 0x80004005 with Win8.1 OEM saying it can't create partitions for UEFI then creating 2 partitions for MBR installation instead. This using a 400 TB, hard drive, setup with a GPT system & nothing else & ready for Win8.1 to create the patitions. :o ...
I've create 2 partitions, 1st partition is Win7 SysPrep and the 2nd partition is Win8.1 Sysprep I install Win7 and press Ctrl-Shift-F3 to form SysPrep, same as Win8.1 in 2nd partition. I made this becuase I've 25 Dell new Win8.1 Computer which are UEFI. So I want to make a master computer which...
Hello, First, thanks for any help you can provide. I have Acronis 2013 Plus. What I am trying to do is image the disk of a Windows 7 machine (source) to a machine that had Windows 8 pre-installed (target - Gateway SX2110G). I connected the Windows 7 drive to the new machine (USB data...
Installing Windows 8.1 as non-UEFI in Installation & Setup
Hi, is it possible to install Windows 8.1 as Legacy with MBR? Or only as UEFI with GPT? I'm kind of confused with all this UEFI business, I always used MBR in my Windows installations. Also, Truecrypt does not support UEFI, so if installing Win8.1 I should do it as legacy. Also, how can I control...
Solved trying to install win7 in uefi mode in Installation & Setup
hi im new here and not sure if i can join this thread or if should start a new thread so if im in the wrong area please say so. i bought an Acer Aspire One 725-0826 for my girlfriend, it came with windows 8 pre-installed and shes really not liking it. as you probably already know it doesnt come...
Hi all, Forgive me if this has been answered, but i wasn't able to find it :(... Anyways, my machine is running win7 HP with the drive bitlockered, can i just go install win8 straightaway or do i have to decrypt and disable bitlocker first? thanks :thumb:
Installing using UEFI USB in Installation & Setup
I have made a clean install of Win8 using USB and UEFI. Somehow it seems the instalaltion is not quit right of what I have read... Have attached picture of the Diskmanagement (OS is Norwegian by the way). Compared to this thread:...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook