Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to install Windows 8.1 with 8.1 OEM key?

  1. #41


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    You can upgrade from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free. There is no free upgrade from 7 to 8/8.1 though.
    For Windows 7 install media try here, Software Download You will need the key off of the COA sticker.
    No, Windows 8/8.1 install media will not use Windows 7 keys. The Windows 8.1 install media will use 8.0 and 8.1 keys though.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 4
    win 8


    This software download will accept the Oem key of windows 7?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I don't know? I could never get the Windows 7 download on that site to work for me, even with a Retail key. Others have said it works for them though? All you can do is give it a try. I don't know of another official download other than MSDN. You need a subscription to download from MSDN though. Best I can do at the moment. All the Windows 7 Digital River downloads have been taken off of the internet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 4
    win 8


    I have a Windows 7 Dvd with all versions (home premium, ultimate etc) .will it work for me with Oem key .
    What is your opinion?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Yes it should work, just install the version listed on the COA sticker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Quote Originally Posted by hbm619 View Post
    I have a Windows 7 Dvd with all versions (home premium, ultimate etc) .will it work for me with Oem key .
    What is your opinion?
    NO -- those will NOT work. I know because I tried one of them when my HP laptop got corrupted from a failed Win10 upgrade, and even though I select the correct version (Home Premium 64-bit), it would not install.

    I then tried an old Retail 64-bit disk I had kept, and while it DID work, it demanded a Retail key to activate it -- so basically, it did not work either. ( I didn't think it would, but I was hoping it would work anyway).

    What DID work is restoring from HP Recovery Media -- which I had to purchase and have them mail me a set of disks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Quote Originally Posted by hbm619 View Post
    This software download will accept the Oem key of windows 7?
    I recently had to restore an HP laptop running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, and I have several Win7 machines -- but like other folks, even though I individually used the produce key from each of the machines (some of which are Retail installs), NONE of the keys were accepted.

    I had to restore to ordering Recovery Media from HP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hbm619 View Post
    I have a Windows 7 Dvd with all versions (home premium, ultimate etc) .will it work for me with Oem key .
    What is your opinion?
    NO -- those will NOT work. I know because I tried one of them when my HP laptop got corrupted from a failed Win10 upgrade, and even though I select the correct version (Home Premium 64-bit), it would not install.

    I then tried an old Retail 64-bit disk I had kept, and while it DID work, it demanded a Retail key to activate it -- so basically, it did not work either. ( I didn't think it would, but I was hoping it would work anyway).

    What DID work is restoring from HP Recovery Media -- which I had to purchase and have them mail me a set of disks.
    Why wouldn't it install? One gotcha with Windows 7 OEM installs is if you retrieve the key with a key finder, its useless. It's a generic OEM key special to that OEM and is blocked from online activation. With normal install media you have to use the key on the COA sticker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Why wouldn't it install?
    Because the OP is talking about one of the Infamous All-in-Ones that you get from places on the Internet. And, as I already said, I tried those and they would not install -- even though you choose the version you want.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Why wouldn't it install?
    Because the OP is talking about one of the Infamous All-in-Ones that you get from places on the Internet. And, as I already said, I tried those and they would not install -- even though you choose the version you want.
    Any version can be made into an all in one, you just remove the ei.cfg file. Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
How to install Windows 8.1 with 8.1 OEM key?
Related Threads
Before you tell me that booting Windows XP from EFI isn't possible; well I've done my research and that's just not true. Proof ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Corporation Release Notes for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Setup However, I have several problems that I desperately need...
I just got a new laptop, a Lenovo X230, for which I paid extra to have the OS on it as Windows 8 Pro. So--now I have it, and Win 8 Pro 64 is installed and activated on it. I am a legal owner of Win 8 Pro. However, I would like to do a clean install of Win 8 on the computer, to have it free of...
Hi, i recently by mistake formatted c partition and WindowsRE partition too. I didnt touch SAMSUNG_REC & SAMSUNG_REC2 where install.wim file is and i don't know how to reinstall from it. Could some one tell me an easy way to reinstall my windows 8 based inthis scenario as i am not a microsoft...
So I have a removable SSD so that I could install O/S to suit. I installed Windows 8.1 Pro on it and had 2 3GB data drives attached. Changed these to GPT volumes and windows didn't like it and I had to do a repair on it. Repaired okay. Tonight I decided I wanted to try out Server 2012 R2 to see if...
Fresh install, installed Tuneup 2014, AVG Internet Security 2014, Firefox, Creative SoundCard Drivers, Updated Windows to current, Motioninjoy, Winrar, Bitcomet, and Installed and updated GeForce GTX 780 drivers. Crash occurred during test of DS3 Tool. Checked reliability history. Information is as...
During a virtual install, there is a question to install upgrade which says will move everything to the (new) windows folder or to install clean. If I answer upgrade, will all my windows stuff be MOVED from my Windows 7 Pro? When I close the virtual machine will there be nothing left for my...
Hi, I am trying to install the W8 CP using the tutorial provided on W7F. Instead of the install.wim file, install.esd is present. I attempted to use imagex on that file, but it did not work. Is there another way to install it fast?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook